2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    sorry you had this experience! i don't think JD are known for the softly softly and it's potentially an insight into what they're expecting you to be able to handle if you work for them. i recommend some dairy milk for recovery (other brands are available).

just as an aside, i think one of the things that is easy to overlook in this process - because the firms are the ones offering the jobs - is this is also a way of getting to work out what firms suit us.
    Galaxy caramel or GTFOH sorry

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    sorry you had this experience! i don't think JD are known for the softly softly and it's potentially an insight into what they're expecting you to be able to handle if you work for them. i recommend some dairy milk for recovery (other brands are available).

just as an aside, i think one of the things that is easy to overlook in this process - because the firms are the ones offering the jobs - is this is also a way of getting to work out what firms suit us.

Really agree with this. In some interviews, you could just put it down to the people interviewing you (and not necessarily a reflection on the firm). At the same time, sometimes you do get a bad feeling about a firm from the interview, and it could well be a sign that that firm isn't right for you.

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    had JD interview today and i felt ....... attacked?! i’m too emotionally unstable for this
    As with others, I can sympathise with you here.

I had a horrific interview once with a Magic Circle firm (won't mention who, but it rhymes with Difford Dance), and it was a complete and utter crucifixion. I chat about it here if you want something humorous to cheer you up.

I laugh about it now, but honestly it shattered my confidence for a long while and made me seriously doubt whether I was capable. Now, I realise that I had loads of othre stuff going on (namely septicaemia and recovering from triple-breaking my back a few months prior) and I was always going to bomb it - shouldn't even have gone! In the end, it never held me back, ended up with 2 VSs at great firms and a TC from a firm I love and can't wait to train at.

You'll get there.

Andrew M

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Jan 7, 2020
    I definitely agree. I would love to be able to do this but it's difficult in terms of time when you're a student and a have a part time job. Maybe once I've graduated I'll get some time to dedicate fully to apps!
    It's definitely a balancing act. I started with a list of 12 firms I intended on applying to this year. But when I started receiving VI invites from my earlier applications, I realised I just wasn't going to have the time to complete all of the others to a good standard, on top of working and studying. So I ended up only applying for 7 vac schemes in the end.

Good luck for your upcoming AC though. :)

Mxkry

Legendary Member
    Oct 13, 2020
    Next application cycle, i'll definitely try my hardest to apply to 20-30 firms From everything here, it seems like a numbers game to a large extent and tailoring my apps to 10 or so firms has not yielded the best results thus far.

I saw quite a few received PFOs from Ashurst. Anyone else still waiting post-app? Not sure if I should assume rejection at this point.

jd3447

Star Member
    Jan 25, 2021
    Wow! Maybe someone on this thread has one coming up and can confirm.

Mine was a few weeks ago and I do seem to remember it being in the middle of the interviewing window. Did they give you any details about whether it will be a phone call or email (whether successful or not)? :)
    i applied on the deadline and obv still havent heard post app - should i just assume PFO and move on x

LawGrad2019

Distinguished Member
    Feb 19, 2021
    hielksf
    i applied on the deadline and obv still havent heard post app - should i just assume PFO and move on x

I definitely wouldn't assume that! I know some people have received rejections so I reckon no news is good news in this case.

It's also worth mentioning that it's impossible to know what grad rec are thinking from the outside - it's an unpredictable process, so hang tight. Best of luck! :)

• Love
    Reactions: jd3447

CareerChanger

Valued Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 5, 2021
    Galaxy caramel or GTFOH sorry
    Britney Spears Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.