2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

LegalNim

Legendary Member
Nov 14, 2019
does anyone have any tips for the Farrer & co open day? first vs cycle and very clueless 😌
I did the Farrer AC last year for Summer vacation scheme. My advice is fairly mixed.
- The written assessment will almost certainly entail an ethical dilemma somewhere in there given some issues the firm have had in the past. Be VERY firm with your integrity and don't sugar coat it.
- They say you don't need any legal knowledge but this was one written exercise where I think being a non-law applicant screwed me. There's basic knowledge they expect so maybe spend a little time on that if you're non-law.
- There were two people on my AC that I honestly thought were really rude - interrupting people, saying "no, I hate that" or "I'm not doing that" to other people's ideas in the group exercise. From LinkedIn, I could see both were offered a Vacation Scheme but neither got a Training Contract last cycle. Make of that what you will.
- Farrers has a reputation for being very Oxbridge and very connected and they seem to be making really strong efforts to move away from being perceived as a posh, white firm...but they still appear to be a bit cliquey and hire people who know people - so, if you know someone who works there, I'd try to shoehorn it in. On my AC, there were two people who I heard telling Grad Rec they knew people at the firm (one was a paralegal at a different firm with a solicitor who had just left Farrers and one was university friends with a current trainee). Both got vacation schemes - but, again, neither got a TC last cycle.
- It's hard to know really why I was eventually rejected because their feedback said they didn't know why they'd rejected me, that it was a final choice between me and someone else and the other person had just edged it - so my advice is fairly limited.
- Mine wasn't online so I have no idea what's changed.

Good luck!

• ℹ️
Reactions: cmaj and Kola

eg412

Standard Member
Feb 26, 2020
Hi everyone! I was wondering if anyone has heard from Clyde & Co for the summer vacation scheme (London)? I've seen a few people get an AC invite and some offers for the vac scheme on LinkedIn, but still no update from my application nor on the portal. Just wondering if anyone is in the same boat? (I sent my application back in October).

Last edited:

tk166

Esteemed Member
Jul 17, 2020
I am quite curious - are Jones Day still the only firm that do non-rotational TC? I heard talks about some other firms starting but not sure if it ever took off?
Cleary offers quite a flexible TC too where you have a practice area + supervisor but you can do work from areas outside the one you’re sitting in, and once you qualify you can qualify into multiple practice areas (i think the example they use is an NQ lawyer that is in M&A, capital markets and competition)

ilovetheDLR

Star Member
  • Feb 10, 2021
    I am quite curious - are Jones Day still the only firm that do non-rotational TC? I heard talks about some other firms starting but not sure if it ever took off?
    Crowell & Moring (only launched their training programme this year) if I remember correctly said they'll do theirs the same way.

I think V&E also market their TC as being semi non-rotational or smth funky like that

bippitybop

Standard Member
    Mar 3, 2021
    I did the Farrer AC last year for Summer vacation scheme. My advice is fairly mixed.
    - The written assessment will almost certainly entail an ethical dilemma somewhere in there given some issues the firm have had in the past. Be VERY firm with your integrity and don't sugar coat it.
    - They say you don't need any legal knowledge but this was one written exercise where I think being a non-law applicant screwed me. There's basic knowledge they expect so maybe spend a little time on that if you're non-law.
    - There were two people on my AC that I honestly thought were really rude - interrupting people, saying "no, I hate that" or "I'm not doing that" to other people's ideas in the group exercise. From LinkedIn, I could see both were offered a Vacation Scheme but neither got a Training Contract last cycle. Make of that what you will.
    - Farrers has a reputation for being very Oxbridge and very connected and they seem to be making really strong efforts to move away from being perceived as a posh, white firm...but they still appear to be a bit cliquey and hire people who know people - so, if you know someone who works there, I'd try to shoehorn it in. On my AC, there were two people who I heard telling Grad Rec they knew people at the firm (one was a paralegal at a different firm with a solicitor who had just left Farrers and one was university friends with a current trainee). Both got vacation schemes - but, again, neither got a TC last cycle.
    - It's hard to know really why I was eventually rejected because their feedback said they didn't know why they'd rejected me, that it was a final choice between me and someone else and the other person had just edged it - so my advice is fairly limited.

Good luck!

Wow thank you for all of that! I appreciate hearing about your experience - thank you again 😌

Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxh

Mar 3, 2021
    does anyone have any tips for the Farrer & co open day? first vs cycle and very clueless 😌
    I did it last year and was successful in securing a Vac scheme which was online ( I didn’t get any further because I got too nervous during my interview but had good feedback for all the other parts) but I think farrer is a really nice firm and their process is very straight forward and doesn’t try to catch you out. The grad team are lovely. For the open day I had to do a written exercise, a group task and chat with trainees. Just make sure to be yourself and in the group exercise don’t speak over people but make sure everyone is getting involved and you listen to other peoples ideas and input things but don’t feel like you have to talk just for the sake of it! Good luck!

cmaj

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
  • Sep 18, 2019

Good luck!

this is very interesting!!!!! as someone that knows literally NOTHING about Farrers, what issues have the firm had in the past involving an ethical dilemma? yes I am only asking this because I'm nosey x

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.