2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

hopefullawyer123

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Nov 25, 2020
Interview with Bates Wells in a couple of hours and the nerves omggg! Anyone recommend anything to help with staying calm + positive? 😭😭😭😭

I recommend keeping yourself occupied with maybe a tv programme, reading a book or going for a walk. The nerves are unbearable the hours before an interview and the only way I manage to deal with it is keeping my self occupied. Time goes quicker and by the time it’s 1 hour / 30 mins away I no longer have time to stress!

Reactions: theTC_girl

Kablahc

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Winner
  • Aug 31, 2020
    Interview with Bates Wells in a couple of hours and the nerves omggg! Anyone recommend anything to help with staying calm + positive? 😭😭😭😭
    The associates I had in my interview with them were lovely and it was a very informal chat, so you'll do great i'm sure!! Perhaps get some fresh air if you can, I always get a cup of tea and try to focus on uni work beforehand to take my mind off it :)

Reactions: theTC_girl

ZaraB

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Dec 13, 2020
    I am an extremely nervous person and for me completely relaxing before an interview doesn't work because I am more nervous at the thought of not doing anything. What made me keep calm before my interview is having a half an hour session with a trusted friend to ask me some curveball questions, which made me stay calm for my interview because I was confident that I could provide good answers when I am put on the spot. Of course that's a completely different approach and might not work for everyone :)

Jony

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Oct 19, 2020

People have shared some really good suggestions, and for me I try to go for a long run before my interview + take a maxed out cold shower so I'm literally bursting out of my seat with positive energy once my interview starts!

els124

Distinguished Member
    Sep 26, 2020
    Has anyone had a rejection from FF post-AC for the summer VS? I've seen offers but no PFOs
    I haven't heard in 6 weeks so I'm trying to work out if they're saving up all the rejections to send them all out in one go

• Wow
    Reactions: Celestie

GK8997

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Sep 25, 2020
    People have shared some really good suggestions, and for me I try to go for a long run before my interview + take a maxed out cold shower so I'm literally bursting out of my seat with positive energy once my interview starts!
    I really wish I had the fitness for this 😂 I feel like I'll run for 5 minutes and that will floor me 😂

• Haha
    Reactions: Jony

user254

Distinguished Member
    Premium Member
  • Jul 7, 2020
    Have seen others say that their WBD pymetrics report doesn't really reflect their personality - (out of pure interest) for people that have completed the WBD pymetrics test what were your "most unique" attributes? Mine were 1. Fairness 2. Focus and 3. Emotion and I feel like this is similar to results I have gotten in other personality type tests!

John Travoni

Legendary Member
    Jan 14, 2021
    Have seen others say that their WBD pymetrics report doesn't really reflect their personality - (out of pure interest) for people that have completed the WBD pymetrics test what were your "most unique" attributes? Mine were 1. Fairness 2. Focus and 3. Emotion and I feel like this is similar to results I have gotten in other personality type tests!
    Mine was attention, emotion and decision making

cryingoverTCs

Legendary Member
  • Mar 1, 2020
    Mine is fairness, focus and generosity
    but just because they are unique, doesn't mean they are positive

the 'most unique' ones are the ones that are either above or below average so, for my generosity one, they said that I tend to focus on my own personal goals, as opposed to sharing my resources willingly, but I would say I'm the opposite? If anything, people in the past have said that I'm quite easy to walk over as I tend to want to help others out as much as I possibly can (I've tried to fix this over the years, but my biggest weakness is probably still finding it difficult to say no)

But because, in one game, I prioritised my own money gain, I've now been painted as not generous?

• ℹ️
    Reactions: JayC, John Travoni and user254

ally_p939

Standard Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Mar 4, 2021
    I just wondered whether anyone else was in a similar position to me for the CMS Academy programme...
    I was offered a place on the Academy and I was just giving my contract a final read-through before sending it off and saw the words 'You will be invited to a virtual Open Day, due to take place on Wednesday 14 April 2021.' I assumed that this would be optional (given an invitation can usually be declined) and because it was called an open day. I am unable to make this date as I have already accepted a place on a different firm's Easter scheme. I rang grad recruitment just to double-check and they said that if I can't make the day, I must withdraw my application.
    This was a huge shock to me as they didn't mention it at any point during the recruitment cycle and by blocking out that time in Easter as well as 3 weeks over the Summer, it really requires candidates to put all their eggs in one basket with CMS. I can understand why they do this, but it seems pretty unfair to me and I am devastated that I will have to forfeit my place after being made an offer because of a single open day. If anyone else has been caught out by this, I would love to hear from you 😢😢😢

CharlotteLegal

Distinguished Member
  • Jun 13, 2020
    I just wondered whether anyone else was in a similar position to me for the CMS Academy programme...
    I was offered a place on the Academy and I was just giving my contract a final read-through before sending it off and saw the words 'You will be invited to a virtual Open Day, due to take place on Wednesday 14 April 2021.' I assumed that this would be optional (given an invitation can usually be declined) and because it was called an open day. I am unable to make this date as I have already accepted a place on a different firm's Easter scheme. I rang grad recruitment just to double-check and they said that if I can't make the day, I must withdraw my application.
    This was a huge shock to me as they didn't mention it at any point during the recruitment cycle and by blocking out that time in Easter as well as 3 weeks over the Summer, it really requires candidates to put all their eggs in one basket with CMS. I can understand why they do this, but it seems pretty unfair to me and I am devastated that I will have to forfeit my place after being made an offer because of a single open day. If anyone else has been caught out by this, I would love to hear from you 😢😢😢
    I can’t offer much advice but I’m really sorry about that :/. Such a shame!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.