Staff member
Future Trainee
TCLA Moderator
Premium Member
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    I have both offers. I just received the second offer today from the firm with one scheme.

I would ask if you can be assessed for a direct TC instead for one of them. Firms sometimes do this for candidates who can’t do their VS due to clashes and if they say yes that’s all the better for your chances at the TC!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I have both offers. I just received the second offer today from the firm with one scheme.
    Choose the firm that is your favourite. Accept that scheme and go for that one (even if that results in you reneging your first offer).

With the other firm, ask whether you can go forward for a TC process instead (assuming they don't have alternative vacation scheme dates). Be prepared for them to say no though (they might not, but a decent chance they will).

This is very common - the grad rec teams will be used to having these conversation every year, so it's not an issue at all. It's the negative side effect of being a strong candidate - you are likely to have to turn down a firm at some point.

Reactions: breadpitt and TC4me

TC4me

Aug 3, 2020
    Choose the firm that is your favourite. Accept that scheme and go for that one (even if that results in you reneging your first offer).

With the other firm, ask whether you can go forward for a TC process instead (assuming they don't have alternative vacation scheme dates). Be prepared for them to say no though (they might not, but a decent chance they will).

This is very common - the grad rec teams will be used to having these conversation every year, so it's not an issue at all. It's the negative side effect of being a strong candidate - you are likely to have to turn down a firm at some point.
    Thank you. Do you think it is possible by or me to ask firm A (the one with two schemes) to prioritise me for the first scheme date so that I can attend both. As firm B only has one date. I would rather not go for a direct TC as I get nervous with interviews and I want to be able to prove myself through the scheme and learn about the firm more.

Staples

Legendary Member
  • Sep 11, 2020
    Anyone still waiting on Penningtons (PMC). I submitted my app 31 Jan. Should I email gr?
    I applied in December, never heard anything, emailed GR for an update over two weeks ago, still nothing. I’ve submitted literal dozens of apps this cycle but no firm has ghosted me so badly. You can email, but don’t necessarily expect to get an answer...

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thank you. Do you think it is possible by or me to ask firm A (the one with two schemes) to prioritise me for the first scheme date so that I can attend both. As firm B only has one date. I would rather not go for a direct TC as I get nervous with interviews and I want to be able to prove myself through the scheme and learn about the firm more.
    You can ask that. They can say no though!

But to me the logic says that is the best outcome for everyone, if the firm A has the space in that scheme, including the two firms in question.

Give them a call now and try to discuss tho over the phone with firm A - don't rely on email.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    The pace of this thread is crazy. It wasn't long ago I noted it was 666 pages long, it's now 777....

Maybe that's a sign for a bit of luck

200.gif

CF

Distinguished Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 25, 2018
    TAYLOR WESSING VAC SCHEME 😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭 GUYS FR I AM SOBBING I HAVE WANTED THEM FOR SO MANY YEARS!!!!

Two years ago a firm called me 'slightly odd and too loud', last year I got no vac schemes and this year.... this year I've had three offers, all with glowing feedback 😭😭😭 Pls never stop trying friends, you will make it ✨

OMG!!!!!!! SO SO SO Well deserved - Hope you are already celebrating <3

the office hug GIF by EditingAndLayout

• Love
    Reactions: cmaj
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.