2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lawstudent1997

Distinguished Member
Mar 2, 2021
Thanks all - really nice messages. Tbh i know i didn't smash it as it threw me off so bad he basically had to tell me the answers :( oh well i'll get over it but think its just so luck based when they ask random questions in interviews rather than having set questions for everyone !!
Ah don’t feel too disheartened but I honestly know the feeling😔 I did exactly the same in my interview- the case study threw me and the girl from HR had to prompt me twice 🙃 it might feel a bit rubbish now but you’re not the only one so don’t lose faith!

• Love
Reactions: Lawgirl123

Veep9

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • Sep 8, 2020
    I have seen mixed reviews about applying for TC or VS through Aspiring Solicitors. Can anyone tell me what the advantage might be? Their deadline for a TC is literally this week (while the firm’s is in a month) so I’m going to have to bust my ass and I don’t know if it’s worth rushing an application.

Reactions: SF1234 and ZaraB

Celestie

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    I have seen mixed reviews about applying for TC or VS through Aspiring Solicitors. Can anyone tell me what the advantage might be? Their deadline for a TC is literally this week (while the firm’s is in a month) so I’m going to have to bust my ass and I don’t know if it’s worth rushing an application.
    Ngl they kinda scared me at their event the other week - plus I have heard some people say they can be intimidating. But on the whole, what they do is great.

castrooo

Legendary Member
    Sep 17, 2020
    I have never heard about the option to apply for a TC or VS through AS! How does that work?

Reactions: AspiringSol

Veep9

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 8, 2020
    Ngl they kinda scared me at their event the other week - plus I have heard some people say they can be intimidating. But on the whole, what they do is great.
    I mean I had a mock interview with them which was immensely helpful. What I don’t know is what, if any, benefit is there to applying for a TC through them. Do you get your application reviewed? Coaching? Is it guaranteed interview? All their page says is “Aspiring Solicitors will be pre-screening and shortlisting Aspiring Solicitors members for a training contract interview ...”

Celestie

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    Do you know the criteria to become a member of AS? Can't seem to find on their website
    "All Aspiring Solicitors events are open to candidates who are either Black Asian or Minority Ethnic, from low socio-economic groups (i.e. from a low income family, had free school meals, first generation of their family to go to uni, went to a state school comprehensive school, LGBT+, have a disability of a long term health condition. "

Says that on their website

Reactions: OB and Veep9

Lumree

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Highest Rated Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019
    Thanks all - really nice messages. Tbh i know i didn't smash it as it threw me off so bad he basically had to tell me the answers :( oh well i'll get over it but think its just so luck based when they ask random questions in interviews rather than having set questions for everyone !!
    I still wouldn’t say you being told the answer is a bad thing!

What I find useful is to say you don’t know if you really don’t, but if it’s something you think you can make an educated guess on, then explicitly say something like “I don’t know for certain but I’m happy to talk to you through my thought process for what I think it is” and then give your thoughts, before wrapping up by saying “I’d be interested to hear from you what the definite answer would be.”

In my opinion, answering like that shows confidence, self-awareness and a desire to learn. After all, you are applying for a ‘trainee’ role. You can’t know everything!

GK8997

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Sep 25, 2020
    just had one of the hardest interviews ever, feeling very deflated :(
    honestly, I think that in partner interviews they really are trying to throw you off your game sometimes by asking you hard questions and random questions. I just had a partner interview this morning too and I came out think what on earth was that, it was my hardest yet too 😂 try and stay positive as I'm sure a lot of people would have felt the same way about the interview! I'm sure you've done very well and I'll be thinking positive thoughts!

• Love
    Reactions: Lawgirl123

tractor12

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Oct 6, 2019
    "All Aspiring Solicitors events are open to candidates who are either Black Asian or Minority Ethnic, from low socio-economic groups (i.e. from a low income family, had free school meals, first generation of their family to go to uni, went to a state school comprehensive school, LGBT+, have a disability of a long term health condition. "

Says that on their website
    Thanks looked on the wrong page.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.