2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex3107

Star Member
Future Trainee
  • Jan 28, 2021
    Does anyone have experience with doing the VS at an office, and if receiving a TC offer with the firm, requesting to do it at another office? Is that even possible? Just curious at this point lol

D

Deleted member 8341

Does anyone have experience with doing the VS at an office, and if receiving a TC offer with the firm, requesting to do it at another office? Is that even possible? Just curious at this point lol
    I think I saw an earlier post that claimed that firms really hate people doing this especially if its from a regional office to London, because some see it as an attempt to game the system (ie. apply to a supposedly less competitive office and then ask to move into a more competitive one), but if its from one regional office to another I'm not too sure, but I assume its disliked.

E1998

Distinguished Member
    Feb 17, 2021
    I have heard of friends ask and be refused, but it depends on the firm I would say. You may be able to do a seat in another office (maybe) but it all varies between firms

Reactions: OB

Hele25

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 5, 2021
    Anyone heard from Womble bond Dickinson?
    It’s quite nerve racking as when you (one) checks their application you can see what they’ve looked at/reviewed 😅 I swear the day it changed over from not viewed to reviewed (or something similar) I said “I’m going to die of nerves/anticipation”, but mine has been like that for at least a month and no news ha :)
    good luck!

Reactions: OB

AspiringLawyer112

Esteemed Member
    Jan 3, 2021
    It’s quite nerve racking as when you (one) checks their application you can see what they’ve looked at/reviewed 😅 I swear the day it changed over from not viewed to reviewed (or something similar) I said “I’m going to die of nerves/anticipation”, but mine has been like that for at least a month and no news ha :)
    good luck!
    I am absolutely nervous of hearing back and this wait has made me very anxious - im just overthinking!!
    I can’t stop refreshing my emails!!!!

• Sad
    • Love
    • 🤝
    Reactions: Hele25, Celestie and OB

FM302989

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Oct 16, 2020
    My old housemate did a VS in a northern office, interviewed there for a London TC and got the offer. Its possible the firm will ask where you would like to do the TC unless they state you should apply for the office VS where you want to train

• ℹ️
    Reactions: OB and layla rose

Celestie

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    I am absolutely nervous of hearing back and this wait has made me very anxious - im just overthinking!!
    I can’t stop refreshing my emails!!!!
    I can relate on 1,000 personal levels about this. But I can promise you, the wait will only get worse by staring at your emails.
    I 100% suggest distracting yourself as much as possible - especially a new project or hobby in time. Thanks to @whisperingrock, whenever I get nervous about my apps and I just start to crochet to focus my attention elsewhere.

But make sure you do something you enjoy!

• Love
    Reactions: SF1234 and OB

NSinger

Esteemed Member
  • Dec 21, 2019
    I'm interviewing for 2023 and was wondering how they might manage this as well. Do y'all think they're gonna take all 3 intakes from these schemes?
    They have 15 TC available (5 for each year) and there are 15 Vac scheme spaces available so I assume they would consider start dates when finalising Vac scheme candidates but that’s just my observation :)

Tavistocksfinest

Star Member
    Jan 3, 2020
    Hey guys! So, this has been my first application cycle and for the past 6 months, much like everyone, I have been toiling away. In total:

I have applied to 44 firms.
    I have received approx. 37 rejections.
    I have been invited to 4 ACs.
    I have only 7 applications pending.

BUT. None of that really matters anymore. Kirkland & Ellis just got back to me. I've been offered a training contract after an accelerated VS application. It's hard to describe how giddy I am right now. Just want to thank everyone on this forum. You are all lovely people who have been so wonderful, helpful and supportive. Special shout-outs to people who were kind enough to take the time to respond to private messages. If anyone want's advice that I have found to be useful, I am more than happy to answer any questions - just DM me!

For the nerds like myself who want a more detailed breakdown, I did make an excel sheet of my progress this application cycle. It does a good job of illustrating that no matter how much red you see, there is green at the end of the tunnel! Keep well guys, thanks again :)

View attachment 3103
    Massive congrats for this!! Can I ask what an accelerated VS application is out of interest?

• Love
    Reactions: Kola and JayC

whisperingrock

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
  • Sep 12, 2020
    I can relate on 1,000 personal levels about this. But I can promise you, the wait will only get worse by staring at your emails.
    I 100% suggest distracting yourself as much as possible - especially a new project or hobby in time. Thanks to @whisperingrock, whenever I get nervous about my apps and I just start to crochet to focus my attention elsewhere.

Crochet makes everything better <3

thirdtimelucky

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Nov 12, 2019

This is me with embroidery, its the perfect zoning out activity! I've almost finished my Studio Ghibli piece :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.