2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

E.A

Legendary Member
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer
Dec 11, 2019
What's up with Orrick lol, someone said they're still reviewing TC apps from last year?? How does that even work - would those people not have needed to start the GDL by now? Seems quite unprofessional of them... do we think our VS apps are going to get looked at?
Still waiting on my application from May 2020.....

Crastle

Star Member
Mar 4, 2020
How much feedback do you tend to get post-interview? I had two interviews at a firm and my verbal feedback following my rejection was literally a sentence and was very generic. I asked if there was any other feedback and they said no which I find a bit disappointing...

Holly

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Nov 23, 2019
How much feedback do you tend to get post-interview? I had two interviews at a firm and my verbal feedback following my rejection was literally a sentence and was very generic. I asked if there was any other feedback and they said no which I find a bit disappointing...
Depends on the firm! For my first interview, I just received one line of feedback in an email and I assumed it was standard. However subsequent firms have given much more depth.

Feedback calls are generally best because you can always ask the recruiter to expand on what they read out :)

Reactions: Jaysen

tractor12

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Oct 6, 2019
That's really poor form to be honest. Some firms give really detailed feedback (literally goes through every question), whilst others are a bit more general but this sounds quite extreme. I'd probably email the interviewers directly for feedback.

can anyone give me advice on the interview at an AC, like what i should be prepping for etc? tx
What kind of interview is it? Such as a competency/motivational interview, a case study/presentation, etc.

If you're asking in broad terms, unfortunately, there are multiple kinds of interviews/assessments, so it is hard to give a catch-all answer.

Veep9

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • Sep 8, 2020
    Yeah I see. I am not completely sure about that, to be honest. I think I am going to hold out until AS reply only because I would not want to duplicate my application to the firm if AS do accept me. If that makes sense?
    This is what I’m doing too. It’s a weird form though because it doesn’t ask for any more information about you!

Reactions: Lumree

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    That's really poor form to be honest. Some firms give really detailed feedback (literally goes through every question), whilst others are a bit more general but this sounds quite extreme. I'd probably email the interviewers directly for feedback.
    I’d advise against contacting interviewers directly.

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Were you told to reply in your rejection email?

Did you change your application much or just resubmit your vs application as a tc application?

No I was not told but I did anyway.

I did not change my application as as I was not in the right state of mind if I were to change it I would have and maybe changed my resilience question answer.

Reactions: Samantha
    How come?
    I would also advise against doing so - it isn't particularly professional. I would recommend reaching out to graduate recruitment, asking for further feedback. If they don't provide you with more, and you have exhausted all other options and are really keen to get this feedback, you can submit a SAR. However, I don't know too much about SARs, although there have been some posts on the forum about it. You can also see here: https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....ct-access-request-for-law-firm-feedback.3292/ and https://ico.org.uk/your-data-matters/your-right-to-get-copies-of-your-data/

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    How come?
    Because it’s not the done thing - most people will just forward it to HR or delete it.

Go for it if you want to, but there is a reason these things go through HR/Recruitment. The decision is not made by individual interviewers, it’s coordinating their the recruitment team, so they should be your go to people.

Reactions: FM302989

tractor12

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Oct 6, 2019
    I would also advise against doing so - it isn't particularly professional. I would recommend reaching out to graduate recruitment, asking for further feedback. If they don't provide you with more, and you have exhausted all other options and are really keen to get this feedback, you can submit a SAR. However, I don't know too much about SARs, although there have been some posts on the forum about it. You can also see here: https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....ct-access-request-for-law-firm-feedback.3292/ and https://ico.org.uk/your-data-matters/your-right-to-get-copies-of-your-data/
    I don't think it would necessarily be unprofessional, I've emailed directly before and my interviewer was more than happy to give me a call to discuss my feedback in a lot more detail.

It's not unrealistic to think they might want to help in some way, especially if you built some sort of rapport with them during the interview. In any case though, I don't see how there is anything to lose - they will just ignore your email if they don't want to respond. Submitting a SAR is surely much more effort for everyone involved

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.