Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    madness. how can it be sustainable?! (i guess the answer is that it's not)

In the future, I think we'll look back at many of these practices with horror.

Same with law firms; unless there's a need to be in the office because of a deal finishing in the early hours of the morning, I expect more firms will come to terms with the fact that crazy working hours on a sustained basis is not helpful for anyone i.e. higher attrition/more mistakes/lower output. Unfortunately, clients have to change first though.

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Guys do you lot think SPAC's are on the rise in commercial awareness and do you think more law firms will be involved in SPAC's transactions in the future. SPAC'S means special purpose acquisition companies.

Kubed

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Winner
    Junior Lawyer 49
  • Nov 25, 2020

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Hi guys wanted to ask if anyone knew if it’s okay to put on the work experience section for X law firm app about your upcoming vac schemes at a different firm/s. Is this okay to show you’re a serious candidate etc or do law firms not like it cos it’s a diff firm? Thanks 🙏🙏
    Yeah it's okay - I did it last year when I was making direct TC apps and just said "incoming vacation with X firm" and then in the entry, I explained when the scheme was due to take place, the duration of the scheme and the seats I would be sitting in

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    I’m genuinely curious how corporate law firms compare to investment banking hours. You hear horror stories about both, but this forum seems to suggest that IB is more, well ‘in humane’
    I think a key difference is more that at law firms there doesn't seem to be much of a facetime culture i.e. if you don't have work to do you go home (because the firms know that when there is work to do you'll be working hard and often late - very general point and obviously entirely depends on your seat/department) whereas in IB it seems that you're expected to be in the office till a certain time in the evening regardless of how much work you have on at the time

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Its not, I have 3 friends with offers in GS IBD/CM and all 3 of them want to lateral to PE after 2-3 years
    yeah the lateral move to PE or hedge funds is an incredibly popular move for that reason - compensation can be significantly higher and hours tend to be a bit more manageable

Reactions: J32

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    In the future, I think we'll look back at many of these practices with horror.

Same with law firms; unless there's a need to be in the office because of a deal finishing in the early hours of the morning, I expect more firms will come to terms with the fact that crazy working hours on a sustained basis is not helpful for anyone i.e. higher attrition/more mistakes/lower output. Unfortunately, clients have to change first though.
    The fact GS has had to introduce a policy "enforcing no work on Saturdays" says it all to be honest...

Elle W

Valued Member
    Jan 12, 2021
    Hi guys, can anybody who has been offered a Stephenson Harwood spring v/s tell me what the application stages are before the v/s offer, many thanks in advance.
    Hi, I haven’t been offered a place for the spring scheme but did my interview for the summer scheme on Monday so I can maybe help!
    After the application stage there was a Watson Glaser, then the interview with HR which was 45 minutes and I believe the final stage is a written exercise :)

Reactions: abit and Bonolaw
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.