2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

tc_hopeful

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Nov 18, 2020
Yeah, no harm in asking! Prepare as if the video interview is tomorrow regardless but the worst that can happen is that they say no. I had issues with my internet for a week when I had a VI and two firms gave me week extensions so normally firms are amenable to this kind of thing :)
That's reassuring! Keeping my fingers crossed!! 😥

layla rose

Legendary Member
  • Nov 27, 2020
    Out of curiosity, do people recommend only applying to around 10 firms that you really love or trying to apply to like 25+ ? I'm trying to plan ahead for next cycle
    I really think it's a numbers game like many have said on this forum. So much of it is luck. I didn't progress to AC stage with the applications I'd spent the most amount of time on and would be seen as 'less sought after' but I progressed on apps I'd sent last minute and were more competitive. Also thought I'd done v well on some VIs (didn't pass them) and terrible on others (but got to AC and got the VS). But obviously don't compromise quality completely lol, just do what you can!

• ℹ️
    Reactions: LegalLily, AH97, OB and 2 others

33c

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Winner
    M&A Bootcamp
    Aug 8, 2020
    I've seen about 3 offers on LinkedIn - all for the Spring scheme so perhaps they're going on a scheme-by-scheme order?

Does anyone know if they tend to call or use email when letting people know? I have terrible reception where I am and am a bit worried about it!
    Last year they contacted everyone by email

Edward

Star Member
    Aug 11, 2018
    I really think it's a numbers game like many have said on this forum. So much of it is luck. I didn't progress to AC stage with the applications I'd spent the most amount of time on and would be seen as 'less sought after' but I progressed on apps I'd sent last minute and were more competitive. Also thought I'd done v well on some VIs (didn't pass them) and terrible on others (but got to AC and got the VS). But obviously don't compromise quality completely lol, just do what you can!
    I agree with that. I was immediately eliminated from ones which I believe I sent the best applications for less competitive firms, on the other hand, I made progress with others (according to me I was less competitive application form-wise and late in terms of submitting). Quite interesting...but that was my experience this year, too. Initially, I only concentrated on five firms and got rejected from all. Later in the cycle, I had to increase my number of applications for the last minute and still waiting for the news from them for being at different stages now. The early application also did not work for me, too, this cycle. Just my opinion and experience at all.

Last edited:

Limanehious

Star Member
    Mar 19, 2021
    Hi guys! Longtime lurker!
    I have just been shortlisted for a vacation scheme in the summer by a regional firm. They don’t normally have this additional step, but have an influx of applications this cycle.
    They have asked me send them a 3 minute video presenting a topic of my choosing. They said not to use PowerPoint etc.
    Any idea what I could do? This is the last application of this cycle, and really need to get this vacation scheme!
    thanks!!

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    I have just been shortlisted for a vacation scheme in the summer by a regional firm. They don’t normally have this additional step, but have an influx of applications this cycle.
    They have asked me send them a 3 minute video presenting a topic of my choosing. They said not to use PowerPoint etc.
    Any idea what I could do? This is the last application of this cycle, and really need to get this vacation scheme!
    thanks!!
    I would look at the firm’s practice areas o and chose something that might impact them or they could look into to grow

zigzag84

Star Member
    Feb 4, 2021
    thanks!!
    I would say pick absolutely anything that you are interested in, it doesn’t have to be legal, they will just be looking at your articulation skills and passion for things. Unless obviously they have stated it has to be legal related

HorsesForCoursesNeighNeighNeigh

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
    M&A Bootcamp
    Dec 1, 2020
    thanks!!

That's a great exercise from them, but weirdly so much harder when it can be ANYTHING! I would definitely try to find something that interests you specifically, that has maybe some implications for law but is a bit more unexpected and related to you.

Lillith

Star Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 14, 2021
    thanks!!
    I don’t know if this is in any way helpful, as my answers were on application forms and not at the final selection stage (and I don’t know exactly how your task is worded so maybe it should be law related) but I wrote about something unrelated to law (the impact of the black death on architecture so a pretty random topic!) for some “tell us about something that interests you” questions and got through to AC for those firms, so you might be able to just talk about anything that interests you?

Limanehious

Star Member
    Mar 19, 2021
    I don’t know if this is in any way helpful, as my answers were on application forms and not at the final selection stage (and I don’t know exactly how your task is worded so maybe it should be law related) but I wrote about something unrelated to law (the impact of the black death on architecture so a pretty random topic!) for some “tell us about something that interests you” questions and got through to AC for those firms, so you might be able to just talk about anything that interests you?
    It literally ONLY says “We would like to ask you to send us a short video recording (no more than 3 minutes) presenting on a topic of your choice. Happy for you to get as creative as you wish, we are not looking for a formal PowerPoint presentation. A recording on your phone is perfectly acceptable.”
    no more!
    I did a history undergrad so I was thinking about that.
    I was also thinking about something that crossed over the two. My dissertation was on ‘the tyranny of the majority’ in the 19th C with regard to Alexis de Tocqueville and John Stuart Mill, who both keep cropping up in law! An idea I had was to discuss the extent their principles are relevant /prevalent now. I saw a quote somewhere that ‘21st C law needs 21st C solutions’, so thought that it could incorporate that! Does that sound ok? Thanks!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.