2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

whoknew

Mar 8, 2021
Hmmm so Debevoise just emailed me saying that although they had confirmed my summer vac scheme spot, they were now going to have to put me on the April vac scheme. Except off of the back of their confirmation of the summer scheme, I accepted a two week spring vac scheme with a different firm during the same week.

Did anyone else get moved? I'm not sure what to do but I dont want to miss out on deb's vac scheme

Jooooopp7

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Nov 25, 2019
Has anyone not heard from simmons yet for the summer scheme? - did tests/VI back in Nov/Dec so im assuming it's a no since so many people have had their ACs but unsure if I should email to ask?

Reactions: Sam55

Elle W

Valued Member
Jan 12, 2021
Has anyone not heard from simmons yet for the summer scheme? - did tests/VI back in Nov/Dec so im assuming it's a no since so many people have had their ACs but unsure if I should email to ask?
I also haven't and did my tests/VI in December! I actually ended up emailing a couple of weeks ago but they didn't respond

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hmmm so Debevoise just emailed me saying that although they had confirmed my summer vac scheme spot, they were now going to have to put me on the April vac scheme. Except off of the back of their confirmation of the summer scheme, I accepted a two week spring vac scheme with a different firm during the same week.

Did anyone else get moved? I'm not sure what to do but I dont want to miss out on deb's vac scheme
I would go back and say you have already accepted another spring scheme where your summer one was confirmed, and so is there anyway for you to stick with the summer scheme?

21wajsz

Legendary Member
  • Dec 3, 2020
    Will it be a huge disadvantage to apply for direct TCs without tangible legal experience (i.e. actual vac scheme and not just those on forage) even though I have non-legal experience and loads of responsibilities in a wide variety of university societies?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Will it be a huge disadvantage to apply for direct TCs without tangible legal experience (i.e. actual vac scheme and not just those on forage) even though I have non-legal experience and loads of responsibilities in a wide variety of university societies?
    Not a huge disadvantage - you just have to ensure your motivational questions are very strong and clear.

JayC

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 8, 2021
    How did you manage 36? That’s a massive effort - I’m working full time and only managed 12
    12 while working full-time is pretty amazing! So I only found out about this process in November as I studied undergrad abroad. Starting in November I told myself I was going to apply to as many firms as I possibly could in order to make up for lost time, but I am studying on a full-time Master's degree and come late December I had only applied to 8 firms I think. Lockdown was a huge boon for me because my degree went online and important deadlines got moved back to March for the spring term, so I told myself that I would spend every single day of January churning out applications. I averaged just under an application a day throughout the month of January because I had nothing else to do. The way I avoided sacrificing quality was by working on five applications or so at a time, constantly reviewing them and then submitting them all together at the end of a week. I might write the answers to three of them on Monday, two more on Tuesday, then spend the rest of the week editing. This was definitely a commitment akin to the hours I will be working should I get a TC 🤣 But eventually the same questions cropped up again and again and it became easier :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Would it be possible to open a thread for direct training contract applications?
    There is a TC thread here:

Reactions: FM302989 and S87
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.