2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

G P

Star Member
Jul 13, 2020
What couldn’t you do in the meantime? Travel/work/study....

It sounds like you are pretty convinced to do the GDL and so that sounds like the right thing to do. Just be mindful that beyond it giving your knowledge that could help pass the SQE, the qualification itself could be a waste of time.

Signing up to the GDL or SQE doesn’t really make applications stronger in articulating “why law though”.
I see your point. 'Signing up' for either course won't make my application stronger. However, I think that once I have actually started studying law rather than an unrelated humanities subject then my application will be stronger. At present, I have a solid idea about the 'type' of career I want to go into, and law fits the bill on that front. Beyond this, I haven't had many opportunities to develop this interest. Once I've studied company law, contract law etc. I think it will become clearer to me why I enjoy law. The same goes for doing some pro bono work alongside my studies. It will give me a much better insight into what lawyers do, and help me figure out what I enjoy most about it. So, while 'signing up' alone may not make be a stronger candidate, it will make me a candidate that is more able to articulate their motivation for a career in law. I hope that made sense 😅

M1999

Legendary Member
Nov 28, 2019
This may be a silly question but do firms look/keep your past applications that have been unsuccessful? If you end up getting a job at that firm would they compare your successful application to your previous unsuccessful ones in regards to references/background checks? I realised my applications from 2 years ago were messes

M1999

Legendary Member
Nov 28, 2019
I see your point. 'Signing up' for either course won't make my application stronger. However, I think that once I have actually started studying law rather than an unrelated humanities subject then my application will be stronger. At present, I have a solid idea about the 'type' of career I want to go into, and law fits the bill on that front. Beyond this, I haven't had many opportunities to develop this interest. Once I've studied company law, contract law etc. I think it will become clearer to me why I enjoy law. The same goes for doing some pro bono work alongside my studies. It will give me a much better insight into what lawyers do, and help me figure out what I enjoy most about it. So, while 'signing up' alone may not make be a stronger candidate, it will make me a candidate that is more able to articulate their motivation for a career in law. I hope that made sense 😅
I would chime in and say since I have studied law, it has become a lot clearer to me. Firms love to say that a lot of the AC tasks are non-law friendly but some tasks I did in this cycle I wouldn’t have been able to do last cycle. Especially contract law!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Maybe you should look for a GDL course that incorporates SQE prep?

Reactions: G P

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    This may be a silly question but do firms look/keep your past applications that have been unsuccessful? If you end up getting a job at that firm would they compare your successful application to your previous unsuccessful ones in regards to references/background checks? I realised my applications from 2 years ago were messes
    Almost certainly not - most firms now destroy any data they're not required to keep for a combination of GDPR and also just practicality reasons (I.e. loads of files just takes up loads of storage space).

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Generally no - they haven't got the time and depending how long ago you applied, they may not even have your application on record because of GDPR.

Reactions: Daniel Boden

M1999

Legendary Member
    Nov 28, 2019
    Almost certainly not - most firms now destroy any data they're not required to keep for a combination of GDPR and also just practicality reasons (I.e. loads of files just takes up loads of storage space).
    Generally no - they haven't got the time and depending how long ago you applied, they may not even have your application on record because of GDPR.
    Thank you both! I was cringing so hard a few minutes ago so glad to know they most likely will be forgotten

Matt_96

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
  • Dec 15, 2018
    I would chime in and say since I have studied law, it has become a lot clearer to me. Firms love to say that a lot of the AC tasks are non-law friendly but some tasks I did in this cycle I wouldn’t have been able to do last cycle. Especially contract law!

To go a step further, if you find yourself in the position I did, which was having done a law degree and not really wanting to commit to the job market at a time of great uncertainty, I now realise that even just studying the LPC has made me a lot more commercially aware. It has given me a lot of what I would call 'regulatory awareness' of specific legal concepts and important factors that undergraduate or conversion law students may not have as they just aren't taught as academic subjects.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: AspiringSol and G P

M777

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 15, 2019
    Has anyone else heard literally nothing from MoFo since applying? And it looks like you can't edit/withdraw either? They're ruining my application spreadsheet and it's getting to me 😖 making all my colour coding look like crap!
    Same problem- got a feeling I'll just be ghosted by them

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    If you apply to a firm that you have previously applied to saying that you have not made any previous applications, does it get flagged up somehow at their end or not?
    It used to. But GDPR means it's difficult for firms to have a reasonable excuse as to why they are retaining that data.

Most firms are likely to wipe the data 6-12 months after the recruitment cycle has finished.

sberry1992

Apr 6, 2020
    It is a weirdly drafted one for sure. Still nice to have good news after what I thought was a horrible horrible psychometric test. I would definitely take a live interview but I hope they give us plenty of time to prep for it as I've got so much going on right now.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.