2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawgeek_301

Star Member
Junior Lawyer
May 1, 2020
Hey, I have a VS starting next week and I found out that apart from the set timetable, there are also a lot of optional talks and events. I was wondering to what extent are these really optional, i.e. is there an expectation to attend all of them or can you actually just go for the ones you are interested in? I would hate to think they are really optional and then realise everyone is actually attending everything. @Jessica Booker if you could provide some GR pespective on this it would be great!

GK8997

Legendary Member
M&A Bootcamp
Sep 25, 2020
Hey, I have a VS starting next week and I found out that apart from the set timetable, there are also a lot of optional talks and events. I was wondering to what extent are these really optional, i.e. is there an expectation to attend all of them or can you actually just go for the ones you are interested in? I would hate to think they are really optional and then realise everyone is actually attending everything. @Jessica Booker if you could provide some GR pespective on this it would be great!
Heya, so I have been told that these optional events are really ones that you should/ other VS students will attend- the exception to this are talks that you are required to sign up for. So for me, we had optional awards nights/ town hall meetings but also the opportunity to sign up for diversity talks given by a guest speaker. I would say the first type of optional event I would make a point out of attending while the second I attended because I just really wanted to hear this guest speaker in particular.

• ℹ️
Reactions: els124

JayB

Legendary Member
May 16, 2019
This may come across as blunt, but this is highly unlikely to almost impossible.

The work you will be doing in a high street firm is light years away from the type of clients and the type of matters you would work on in an international firm.

You’d have to have a whole lot of good fortune for it to happen. For instance, if you got involved in something that was very niche/fast growing or something that went from being small scale to complex.

There might be some practice areas where it is more feasible, but I am not convinced even then it would be something that happens enough to be able to say you could make the transition.
Hi @Jessica Booker

Thank you for your genuine response, it’s great how you are upfront with stuff. I will now be declining those 2 offers, as I see myself more than capable of getting a TC offer with a City law firm, no idea why I am narrowing myself. I will DM you now as well :)

Thanks again!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker

Thank you for your genuine response, it’s great how you are upfront with stuff. I will now be declining those 2 offers, as I see myself more than capable of getting a TC offer with a City law firm, no idea why I am narrowing myself. I will DM you now as well :)

Thanks again!
I wouldn’t be as quick to make such a a decision, especially if you have time before you need to make it.

JayB

Legendary Member
May 16, 2019
I wouldn’t be as quick to make such a a decision, especially if you have time before you need to make it.
One firm has given me until end of April, the other until mid-June. I have been thinking about this quite a lot recently and have spoken to other people, and everyone has said the same as you that it is fairly impossible to move from a high street to a City law firm.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
One firm has given me until end of April, the other until mid-June. I have been thinking about this quite a lot recently and have spoken to other people, and everyone has said the same as you that it is fairly impossible to move from a high street to a City law firm.
You have two-three more weeks to make a decision and you could ask the first firm to give you an extensionz

JayB

Legendary Member
May 16, 2019
You have two-three more weeks to make a decision and you could ask the first firm to give you an extensionz
Thank you Jessica, I have actually just emailed the first firm and have expressed my intentions to revoke my TC offer, as I feel it doesn’t align with my career ambitions. Hopefully someone else can take this opportunity instead.

33c

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Winner
M&A Bootcamp
Aug 8, 2020
Congrats! It's very efficient of them as I think they only had their ACs this week? By any chance you know if they are getting back to all candidates today?
I don't think they are getting back to everyone today! I actually chased grad rec as I have 2 other offers that overlap with the dechert scheme and needed to make a decision on those offers by today. Hope this helps :)

Reactions: Phoenix for all
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.