Staff member
Future Trainee
TCLA Moderator
Premium Member
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    hi guys, I have a legal internship interview coming up (in-house intern at a startup) and was wondering whether anyone has any advice on how to prep for this kind of interview and what kind of questions to expect? - im so used to prepping for ACs and being so law specific that i'm not sure if it will be any different for somewhere thats not actually a law firm! Thanks for any help you can give!

I don't think your substantive prep needs to be any different. Keep up with the news (particularly in the industry the start-up is involved in), have a few good competency examples ready to go and really be able to explain why you want to work for the startup. The only additional thing I'd recommend doing is making sure you know exactly what services the start-up offers, how it provides value to its clients, and maybe even thinking about the relationships it has with its suppliers (ie the companies the startup relies on for its own backend support) and how those suppliers help its product offerings. I say this because in house legal roles are maybe more focused on building the relationship between the business and anyone/everyone it relies on to help make it a success. So if you understand the extended picture, it will go down very well.

• Love
    Reactions: Jooooopp7

LS12

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Apr 22, 2020
    hi guys, I have a legal internship interview coming up (in-house intern at a startup) and was wondering whether anyone has any advice on how to prep for this kind of interview and what kind of questions to expect? - im so used to prepping for ACs and being so law specific that i'm not sure if it will be any different for somewhere thats not actually a law firm! Thanks for any help you can give!
    I have done an internship in-house and currently work in-house if you want to dm me any questions!!

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    I haven't actually posted it here yet - a couple of weeks ago I was offered a TC :D

It took me 3 application rounds to get here. In previous rounds, I made the mistake of 'catching feelings' for one firm and then only really applying to them. Although this meant I usually got to AC, I had some development yet to do before I could stand out and be picked from the pool of seriously impressive candidates.

This round, I applied to 6 firms. I was offered 2 VSs and 1 direct TC. I withdrew from the last stage of a fourth firm and was rejected by the other 2, one post-app and one post-AC.

All of the firms I applied to have Tier 1 private client and/or family practices as this is what I feel most excited about (still keeping an open mind) but my TC offer is so tempting that I feel satisfied pulling out of one VS and asking not to be considered for a TC with the other.

I know this is 'the Corporate Law Academy' but, despite my infiltration as a private client applicant, I have learned soo much from everyone and found the forum so comforting during the process 🌟
    Delighted for you 👏

ZaraB

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Dec 13, 2020
    I haven't actually posted it here yet - a couple of weeks ago I was offered a TC :D

It took me 3 application rounds to get here. In previous rounds, I made the mistake of 'catching feelings' for one firm and then only really applying to them. Although this meant I usually got to AC, I had some development yet to do before I could stand out and be picked from the pool of seriously impressive candidates.

This round, I applied to 6 firms. I was offered 2 VSs and 1 direct TC. I withdrew from the last stage of a fourth firm and was rejected by the other 2, one post-app and one post-AC.

All of the firms I applied to have Tier 1 private client and/or family practices as this is what I feel most excited about (still keeping an open mind) but my TC offer is so tempting that I feel satisfied pulling out of one VS and asking not to be considered for a TC with the other.

I know this is 'the Corporate Law Academy' but, despite my infiltration as a private client applicant, I have learned soo much from everyone and found the forum so comforting during the process 🌟
    I hope you had the chance to celebrate properly when things opened up this week, super pleased for you, you made it!!!✨

• Love
    Reactions: LawGrad2019

Lily721

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 7, 2020
    That's not very nice of them to call like that with no forewarning. You probably did better than you think you did!
    Honestly, anyone would find it difficult to answer on-the-spot questions like that, so please don't beat yourself up about this! As @whisperingrock said, you probably did better than you think - your mind is most likely replaying the answers you feel you didn't do well on, rather than allowing you to take credit for managing to answer some of the questions well.
    Don't worry at all - it's not like you were anticipating the call in any way so I'd be really surprised if they were going to hold what you said to a high standard. They should know that you'd be shocked from receiving it totally out of the blue, I definitely wouldn't have been able to produce anything coherent!!! I really doubt that this will impact on your chances in any way so try not to worry about it :)

Thank you all! I feel better than I did earlier and am trying not to think about it much, whatever happens happens.

• Love
    Reactions: Jaysen and Kablahc

Matt_96

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
  • Dec 15, 2018
    Huge congratulations! Out of interest, why do you find private client work so interesting? Is there anything about it in particular?

I don't know what OP finds interesting about it, but I've always liked the human element of it as I have volunteered in a law clinic for over two years. And trusts law is very quirky and interesting. So in my apps, I've been targeting firms that do both commercial and/or private client work as I don't really mind where I end up!

Not to mention, family and private client law can be much much better paid than most people would think. Obviously, it's not Kirkland and never will be, but in general, it can be very reliable and lucrative work in any economy. There are two quite well known family lawyers that I can think of that used to feature quite prominently in lists of the highest paid lawyers in London (back when they used to rank that sort of thing).

LawGrad2019

Distinguished Member
    Feb 19, 2021
    Huge congratulations! Out of interest, why do you find private client work so interesting? Is there anything about it in particular?

Thank you so much!

So there's 'private client' in the technical sense - meaning mainly tax and wealth planning, and then there is private client meaning working with individuals in their personal capacities generally e.g. in family law. The former is exceptionally interesting as it's a really academic area of law and people and their wealth are inherently interesting. Private clients aren't driven by shareholders or dividends - they can be hard to predict (e.g. one client may want to leave their entire wealth on death to charities dedicated to birds, because their late mother was a bird watcher, while another may want to buy up real estate in a particular region because of a personal connection to it). People will also often come to you with extremely complex family structures and seek advice about protecting their wealth for the various generations - so that requires you to understand all the different needs and personalities of the different people involved and the relationships between them all. Family offices are on the rise and they're a really interesting concept too.

As for private client in the general sense, you often get to see people be emotional and real. They're not showing up as a representative of a business (although many private clients do have businesses and bring that work to their chosen law firm too) but as themselves - warts and all. You're unlikely to have to sit with a client who is in tears in corporate law. Whereas, in private client, that does come up as clients are often grappling really sensitive issues - e.g. because their marriage has fallen apart or because they are in a war with their family about an elderly relative who has lost mental capacity or who has died leaving unequal amounts to everyone. Being involved with such an intimate part of people's lives involves a great deal of trust on their part and can be really challenging sometimes, but rewarding.

I guess it's different strokes for different folks really - I may end up qualifying in corporate after all. But I knew I wanted to do at least a seat or two dealing with people in their personal capacities because it fascinates me :)

A

Anon 11031

Thank you so much!

So there's 'private client' in the technical sense - meaning mainly tax and wealth planning, and then there is private client meaning working with individuals in their personal capacities generally e.g. in family law. The former is exceptionally interesting as it's a really academic area of law and people and their wealth are inherently interesting. Private clients aren't driven by shareholders or dividends - they can be hard to predict (e.g. one client may want to leave their entire wealth on death to charities dedicated to birds, because their late mother was a bird watcher, while another may want to buy up real estate in a particular region because of a personal connection to it). People will also often come to you with extremely complex family structures and seek advice about protecting their wealth for the various generations - so that requires you to understand all the different needs and personalities of the different people involved and the relationships between them all. Family offices are on the rise and they're a really interesting concept too.

As for private client in the general sense, you often get to see people be emotional and real. They're not showing up as a representative of a business (although many private clients do have businesses and bring that work to their chosen law firm too) but as themselves - warts and all. You're unlikely to have to sit with a client who is in tears in corporate law. Whereas, in private client, that does come up as clients are often grappling really sensitive issues - e.g. because their marriage has fallen apart or because they are in a war with their family about an elderly relative who has lost mental capacity or who has died leaving unequal amounts to everyone. Being involved with such an intimate part of people's lives involves a great deal of trust on their part and can be really challenging sometimes, but rewarding.

I guess it's different strokes for different folks really - I may end up qualifying in corporate after all. But I knew I wanted to do at least a seat or two dealing with people in their personal capacities because it fascinates me :)
    Massive congratulations!

Although I can't say it's an area of law I want to practice in, I agree with lots of things you've said. I used to work in a team for a bank that dealt with wealthy individuals and bereavement etc. Lots of issues often related to very complex and emotional matters. Such as protecting assets in a divorce, dealing with wills and distribution of money etc. People would very often open up to you, cry down the phone and it was all very unexpected at first...mainly because you don't expect people to be so emotional when dealing with their bank.

I ended up thorough enjoying it. And some of the clients I worked with I had a close friendship with in the end. I think due to this, feedback was often really positive too and I was often commended for my work so I felt like I was making more of a difference - rather than just being another cog in the wheel.

I'm sure it will be amazing - you should be so proud of yourself! 🎊☺️

LawGrad2019

Distinguished Member
    Feb 19, 2021
    Massive congratulations!

Although I can't say it's an area of law I want to practice in, I agree with lots of things you've said. I used to work in a team for a bank that dealt with wealthy individuals and bereavement etc. Lots of issues often related to very complex and emotional matters. Such as protecting assets in a divorce, dealing with wills and distribution of money etc. People would very often open up to you, cry down the phone and it was all very unexpected at first...mainly because you don't expect people to be so emotional when dealing with their bank.

I ended up thorough enjoying it. And some of the clients I worked with I had a close friendship with in the end. I think due to this, feedback was often really positive too and I was often commended for my work so I felt like I was making more of a difference - rather than just being another cog in the wheel.

I'm sure it will be amazing - you should be so proud of yourself! 🎊☺️

Thank you :)

Ahh that must have been such a great insight! I can definitely relate - I worked as a secretary in Wills & Probate and some of the stories of our clients still stick with me. It can be a really sad area to practice in so I guess I should emphasise that as a warning to people (although more difficult areas do exist, like public family law)

Reactions: Anon 11031
    A

Anon 11031

Thank you :)

Ahh that must have been such a great insight! I can definitely relate - I worked as a secretary in Wills & Probate and some of the stories of our clients still stick with me. It can be a really sad area to practice in so perhaps I guess I should emphasise that as a warning to people (although more difficult areas do exist, like public family law)
    I second that. It was extremely emotionally draining some days. I would have meetings or calls that lasted like 3-4 hours - because of the emotional nature you had to be really empathetic and take things at their pace. I really do think to get into this are (or family law) you need to have a great deal of patience and emotional intelligence.

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Thank you so much!

I don't know what OP finds interesting about it, but I've always liked the human element of it as I have volunteered in a law clinic for over two years. And trusts law is very quirky and interesting. So in my apps, I've been targeting firms that do both commercial and/or private client work as I don't really mind where I end up!

Not to mention, family and private client law can be much much better paid than most people would think. Obviously, it's not Kirkland and never will be, but in general, it can be very reliable and lucrative work in any economy. There are two quite well known family lawyers that I can think of that used to feature quite prominently in lists of the highest paid lawyers in London (back when they used to rank that sort of thing).
    Thank you both very much for such detailed and interesting responses! I had similar thoughts on Private Client work back when I was applying but now I'm studying Equity & Trusts on the GDL I can't say it's the most thrilling subject to me 😂however perhaps in practice it is much more interesting (like many things that we study)!

@LawGrad2019 were you looking at firms like Macfarlanes/Farrer & Co /CRS then I assume with good PC and Corporate practices? Who's your TC with if you don't mind me asking?

Reactions: Jaysen and Dheepa

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    I second that. It was extremely emotionally draining some days. I would have meetings or calls that lasted like 3-4 hours - because of the emotional nature you had to be really empathetic and take things at their pace. I really do think to get into this are (or family law) you need to have a great deal of patience and emotional intelligence.
    This is why I could never do family law tbh, I'd really struggle to avoid bringing the work home with me as I can imagine some of those cases, especially where there are children involved, can be really quite emotionally fraught. I bet the good days are incredible but the bad days must be pretty rough for that reason

thirdtimelucky

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Nov 12, 2019
    This is why I could never do family law tbh, I'd really struggle to avoid bringing the work home with me as I can imagine some of those cases, especially where there are children involved, can be really quite emotionally fraught. I bet the good days are incredible but the bad days must be pretty rough for that reason
    I work in the family court and I don't think I could work in family. Just having to listen to children give evidence or hear the upsetting details of some cases is harrowing and as you said Daniel I'd definitely bring the work home, I already feel like I do and I only interact with them for the length of their hearing! That said, from the few titbits I've learned it does sound really interesting and has a huge impact on people's lives! I remember drawing an order and the solicitor replied to me telling me how grateful she was for finally making her client feel safe so it does have its ups!

Veep9

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 8, 2020
    Fox Williams have (finally) clarified what the last stage of their application process is... a recorded video interview due by Monday morning

I'm kinda sorta extremely busy this weekend. Why didn't they tell us sooner?
    Oh. So like one of those ones where you have 60 seconds to think and 60-90 to answer? I asked to move to the 2022 cohort and they’re hoping to do that last stage in person, but this is interesting info

Reactions: FM302989

CF1234

Star Member
    Dec 15, 2020
    hey guys, i'm currently completing the legal cheek vacation scheme, but missed the Green economy session yesterday (14;00-15:00) due to a uni seminar!!!

I would REALLY REALLY appreciate it if someone could send me any notes they took, or jump on a call with me to discuss??

thanks so much in advance <3

LawGrad2019

Distinguished Member
    Feb 19, 2021
    Thank you both very much for such detailed and interesting responses! I had similar thoughts on Private Client work back when I was applying but now I'm studying Equity & Trusts on the GDL I can't say it's the most thrilling subject to me 😂however perhaps in practice it is much more interesting (like many things that we study)!

@LawGrad2019 were you looking at firms like Macfarlanes/Farrer & Co /CRS then I assume with good PC and Corporate practices? Who's your TC with if you don't mind me asking?

Haha! I'd probably say that most people who thrive in private client enjoyed Trusts at undergrad/GDL, but I could be wrong about that.

Absolutely - other notable firms include Withers, Mishcon, Forsters plus some other underrated ones like Mills & Reeve! My TC is with CRS :)

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.