2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Guys for the application question what key skills does a lawyer need to have can I make it personal and link it to myself. Or just discuss what skills a lawyer needs. Thank you in advance.

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    If I am applying for a direct TC with a firm would I put an upcoming vacation scheme with a different firm in my work experience section or not? As it can show I have been successful in applying elsewhere but at the same time as it's with a different firm it may look odd/out of place?
    Someone has asked this question before in the forum and it has been answered so if you search it maybe you will find the answer somewhere in this thread.

Reactions: Ana_M

whisperingrock

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
  • Sep 12, 2020
    Guys for the application question what key skills does a lawyer need to have can I make it personal and link it to myself. Or just discuss what skills a lawyer needs. Thank you in advance.
    If this is for ashurst, I wouldn't link it to you. You have the whole cover letter to talk about yourself, and so you risk being a bit redundant. Try to centre the key skills you choose on commercial considerations for the firm.

LS12

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Apr 22, 2020
    If I'm answering a question regarding a challenge I've overcome, would fear of public speaking be a challenge or are we discussing something more tangible such as performing badly in an A-level and opting to resit?

LS12

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Apr 22, 2020
    Anyone heard from Orrick post-WG? Think we're meant to hear back by this week?
    From the emails I had received I was informed it would have been by yesterday, although I know they have said they have had lots of very high calibre apps so might just be taking a little longer. It's stressful though since the scheme is supposed to be in a couple of months.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    If I am applying for a direct TC with a firm would I put an upcoming vacation scheme with a different firm in my work experience section or not? As it can show I have been successful in applying elsewhere but at the same time as it's with a different firm it may look odd/out of place?
    Yes, you should include it - probably not for a work experience section, but maybe a cover letter/extra information section.

Reactions: Ana_M
    A

Anon 11031

If I'm answering a question regarding a challenge I've overcome, would fear of public speaking be a challenge or are we discussing something more tangible such as performing badly in an A-level and opting to resit?
    What is the exact wording of the question? Might be able to help better with this information ☺️

LS12

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Apr 22, 2020
    What is the exact wording of the question? Might be able to help better with this information ☺️
    Tell us about a challenge you have overcome that showcases your ambition and drive.

It's for the Dentons Direct TC app.

I really want to discuss how I have always had a fear of public speaking and at times in the past it has prevented me contributing my ideas when I am in large group conversations. However, in order to overcome this I have put myself in a number of situations where I've had to present, including presenting a session to 75 students at my university, and since presenting for an online webinar with over 400 students. And through these experiences I have not only realised I am quite competent at public speaking but adopted preparation and techniques to ensure these events go as well as possible - being thoroughly prepared, recording myself and including personal experiences in my presentations.

But I'm not sure if fear of public speaking is a challenge.

A

Anon 11031

Tell us about a challenge you have overcome that showcases your ambition and drive.

I really want to discuss how I have always had a fear of public speaking and at times in the past it has prevented me contributing my ideas when I am in large group conversations. However, in order to overcome this I have put myself in a number of situations where I've had to present, including presenting a session to 75 students at my university, and since presenting for an online webinar with over 400 students. And through these experiences I have not only realised I am quite competent at public speaking but adopted preparation and techniques to ensure these events go as well as possible - being thoroughly prepared, recording myself and including personal experiences in my presentations.

Honestly, given the question I'd say that this is a perfect example - and its unique to you. Public speaking can be hugely debilitating to some, even if they're a professional. I think you should focus on why it was a challenge to you, what made you want to overcome it (for your career, personal development etc). Also, because it specifically wants you to express how this shows ambition and drive, just keep refering back to those points.

I'd probably just add at the end how you feel you would tackle a similar fear or anxiety in the future and how it has made you fine-tune your approach to extremely challenging situations. How overcoming the fear has made you overall more confident and capable etc. And, finally, anything you could/might have done differently.

I think this is far better than some generic examples. Hope that helps? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
    Reactions: Jaysen

LS12

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Apr 22, 2020
    Honestly, given the question I'd say that this is a perfect example - and its unique to you. Oh public speaking can be hugely debilitating to some, even if they're a professional. I think you should focus on why it was a challenge to you, what made you want to overcome it (for your career, personal development etc). Also, because it specifically wants you to express how this shows ambition and drive, just keep refering back to those points.

I'd probably just add at the end how you feel you would tackle a similar fear or anxiety in the future and how it has made you fine-tune your approach to extremely challenging situations. How overcoming the fear has made you overall more confident and capable etc. And, finally, anything you could/might have done differently.

I think this is far better than some generic examples. Hope that helps? :)
    This advice is so helpful, thank you for taking the time to respond, I really appreciate it

• 🤝
    Reactions: Anon 11031

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

Yes, why wouldn’t it be a challenge?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I guess I was worried they were hoping for something more literal, like something happening at work, or a client having issues opposed to it being more of a personal challenge, but now having reasoned it out I think I was probably overthinking
    Over coming something you find fearful is a literal challenge too 😉

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.