A Levels & Equivalent

Reg

Star Member
Nov 6, 2019
Hello,

Would anyone happen to know whether a HND ( Higher National Diploma) would fall under this category?

As I understand it (for the one I did) you needed 2 AS levels to get on the HND programme. However this was equivalent to 1st & 2nd year of uni. So in my view, it wouldn't count. Would this be a problem for firms?

Would love to hear if anyone has done this and has found a way to fit it into applications.

Reg

Star Member
Nov 6, 2019
The best bet would be to contact the law firms directly. They are used to dealing with a multitude of qualifications. Hopefully, they can advise!

I’ve tried one so far and I think they were as confused as I was but hopefully that was a one off. Thank you for replying! :)

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
I usually contact the graduate recruitment team. However, i found the government website where I downloaded a spreadsheet comparing my education (with grades) to the UK one. I usually include the link to the spreadsheet at the end of the paragraph explaining my overseas education.
It is clear, it is structured and they obtain a first evidence

Reg

Star Member
Nov 6, 2019
Don’t contact firms - it isn’t for them to work out.

Check the UCAS tariff calculator: https://www.ucas.com/ucas/tariff-calculator

Dear Jessica,

Thank you very much for this but unfortunately it doesn’t show up there either. I’m just a bit at a loss. The title on my certificate is Pearson BTEC level 5 HND Diploma 240+ in Business (QCF). The website states it’s equivalent to first and second year of university so I assumed I had no A level equivalent.

Any help is greatly appreciated. :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Dear Jessica,

Thank you very much for this but unfortunately it doesn’t show up there either. I’m just a bit at a loss. The title on my certificate is Pearson BTEC level 5 HND Diploma 240+ in Business (QCF). The website states it’s equivalent to first and second year of university so I assumed I had no A level equivalent.

Any help is greatly appreciated. :)

That is correct - you don’t have an A-level equivalent as that would be a level 3 qualification.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
In that case would you suggest I speak to individual firms as to whether that is something they would accept? (For those that ask for A level requirements)

Did you not do A-levels or a BTEC or something similar at 16-18?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I did 2 AS Levels which was all you needed to get into the HND programme (I believe I had mitigating circumstances as to why I didn’t finish my A levels).

then you need to detail the AS grades and explain the mitigating circumstances to the firm and say you went straight from AS to a level 5 qualification, and so do not have an A-level equivalent.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.