Accelerated LPC Experience (esp in Covid)

DonnieDarko

Future Trainee
Dec 21, 2020
I’m due to start the accelerated LPC soon and was wondering if any future trainees could shed light on their experiences? I’m interested in more general feedback, how to found the workload etc. But also from those completing the course during Covid.

Some of the reports about BPP are worrying. But there seemed to be a divide between people self-funding vs sponsored by firms.

Nicktim

Star Member
Jun 9, 2020
I can't help with the LPC but I am at BPP doing the PGDL at the moment and will be on the LPC in August 2021 so can share my experience of BPP so far, although it may not reflect the experience on the LPC.

My experience so far has been that BPP is pretty poorly run and there have been countless issues with technology, timetables, materials etc. I expected a few teething issues due to COVID and the move to online teaching but a lot of the issues appear to be completely of their own doing. They've admitted 800 students for the London full time PGDL and that doesn't include the vast number of students studying at other centres and part time so a lot of the admin issues appear to be more to do with BPP admitting more students than they can handle rather than the move to online teaching.

Having said that, from my experience the teaching has been of a very high quality and I can't fault the tutors. However, the impression I get from speaking to others is that class sizes and quality of teaching tends to be much poorer for self-funded students compared with students sponsored by certain firms, but I can only go off the teaching I've received as a sponsored student.

OH

Star Member
Future Trainee
Nov 24, 2018
I am self-funding the (normal) LPC at BPP currently and can second the concerns above that although the teachers are good, BPP itself is pathetic on many levels with cost-cutting, not sending materials or id cards (still in some cases) and exam software which is so archaic that they've had to make it open book so it's borderline impossible to fail. There's currently legal action, and several high-level complaints against how they've acted during Covid. I haven't noticed any differentiation in treatment, but I am also at the Manchester campus where the vibe is more relaxed. I chose it over University of Law, purely because when I raised the media concerns they offered massive discounts (30% in my case, and some got up to 50% so ask) which meant I had no real choice.

EDIT: despite only doing the course 2 days a week, I have found the workload very easy, even before it became open book and that's the general consensus in my group. I imagine it'll be harder for the fast-track, but the content itself is rote learning, there is no brain power required.

DonnieDarko

Future Trainee
Dec 21, 2020
I can't help with the LPC but I am at BPP doing the PGDL at the moment and will be on the LPC in August 2021 so can share my experience of BPP so far, although it may not reflect the experience on the LPC.

My experience so far has been that BPP is pretty poorly run and there have been countless issues with technology, timetables, materials etc. I expected a few teething issues due to COVID and the move to online teaching but a lot of the issues appear to be completely of their own doing. They've admitted 800 students for the London full time PGDL and that doesn't include the vast number of students studying at other centres and part time so a lot of the admin issues appear to be more to do with BPP admitting more students than they can handle rather than the move to online teaching.

Having said that, from my experience the teaching has been of a very high quality and I can't fault the tutors. However, the impression I get from speaking to others is that class sizes and quality of teaching tends to be much poorer for self-funded students compared with students sponsored by certain firms, but I can only go off the teaching I've received as a sponsored student.

Thank you. Good to know and please update when you start in August! I try not to believe everything I read in the legal cheek comments section but some of the feedback about BPP has been alarming. Interesting to know they’ve made it open book and will be interesting to see if that continues into the summer. And in the case of sponsored students I imagine any firm’s GR team would be able to help resolve issues directly.

Mea

Star Member
Apr 5, 2019
I am self-funding the (normal) LPC at BPP currently and can second the concerns above that although the teachers are good, BPP itself is pathetic on many levels with cost-cutting, not sending materials or id cards (still in some cases) and exam software which is so archaic that they've had to make it open book so it's borderline impossible to fail. There's currently legal action, and several high-level complaints against how they've acted during Covid. I haven't noticed any differentiation in treatment, but I am also at the Manchester campus where the vibe is more relaxed. I chose it over University of Law, purely because when I raised the media concerns they offered massive discounts (30% in my case, and some got up to 50% so ask) which meant I had no real choice.

EDIT: despite only doing the course 2 days a week, I have found the workload very easy, even before it became open book and that's the general consensus in my group. I imagine it'll be harder for the fast-track, but the content itself is rote learning, there is no brain power required.
I agree! Currently with BPP London and it has been appalling. Although the teaching is great, it is clear they are doing some cost cutting by not teaching at university etc. London students also pay a lot more than those up North, despite it all being online. The admin team will not reply to queries. I sent an email 3 months ago and am yet to receive a reply. I am not alone on this one either. Avoid at all cost!

DonnieDarko

Future Trainee
Dec 21, 2020
I agree! Currently with BPP London and it has been appalling. Although the teaching is great, it is clear they are doing some cost cutting by not teaching at university etc. London students also pay a lot more than those up North, despite it all being online. The admin team will not reply to queries. I sent an email 3 months ago and am yet to receive a reply. I am not alone on this one either. Avoid at all cost!
Thanks, unfortunately it's the provider my firm uses so I don't have a choice in the matter.

Karin

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Junior Lawyer
  • Aug 25, 2019
    Hi guys! I have a question about the term dates of the Accelerated LPC at BPP as they are very difficult (if not impossible) to find online. I am due to start the LPC in February 22 and I really need to know at least approximately whether there is any break throughout the course - be it even reading weeks or anything. Does someone have this information?

OH

Star Member
    Future Trainee
    Nov 24, 2018
    Hi guys! I have a question about the term dates of the Accelerated LPC at BPP as they are very difficult (if not impossible) to find online. I am due to start the LPC in February 22 and I really need to know at least approximately whether there is any break throughout the course - be it even reading weeks or anything. Does someone have this information?

Hi, these are the previous fasttracks dates from the moodle. Contrasting it with the full-time LPC though, they've mainly shortened it by taking out all the breaks. Best of luck.

Attachments

• LPC FST Study planner.pdf
      95.5 KB · Views: 182

Karin

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Junior Lawyer
  • Aug 25, 2019
    Hi, these are the previous fasttracks dates from the moodle. Contrasting it with the full-time LPC though, they've mainly shortened it by taking out all the breaks. Best of luck.
    This is very helpful, thanks a lot! It would be great to know whether there was some kind of "Easter break" as you get with Christmas, but I think I will have to get in touch with BPP directly once my application is accepted. Thanks again!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.