One year PGDL/GDL or 2 years accelerated LLB course for non-law graduates? Providers comparisons?

Cafie092333333

Feb 12, 2022
Hi everyone! I am a final year non-law student who is planning to convert to Law. It is a confusing time for non-law students since SQE will fully replace the old route via LPC (LLB->LPC/non-law->GDL->LPC). Although theoretically the SQE replaces both GDL and LPC, and GDL is no longer required for practising as a solicitor in the UK, many law firms still send their non-law grads to take GDL before completing the SQE exams. This leaves two questions for me:

(1) Is it more advantageous for non-law grads, who haven't secured any training contracts, to complete GDL/2-year LLB first before completing SQE?

(2) What are the differences between GDL/PGDL and 2-year accelerated LLB, in terms of studies and employment?

I notice that the University of Bristol provides a 2-year MA Law course (conversion), which in essence seems to have no difference from a 2-year accelerated LLB (except for the titles and entry requirements). For GDL/PGDL, I am more interested in BPP which seems to provide more practical knowledge for a career in corporate law. While for a 2-year accelerated LLB/MA Law (conversion), I am quite interested in UoL and Bristol. Any thoughts on these providers?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
1) Only from a knowledge perspective as the 2 year accelerated LLB is covering more content than a PGDL. However, it won't give you a distinct advantage in applying and firms won't really between the two.

2) You'll study more modules on the 2-year accelerated LLB compared to the PGDL which just covers the core legal modules that were required to qualify. There is no difference in terms of employment in the UK.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.