lowen13

• Dec 2, 2022
    Hello everyone!

I am a non-law undergraduate in my final year of study - I am due to graduate this June.

I have been in conversation with a law firm who have suggested that I do a conversion course and SQE1 within one year, despite all other law firms leaving two years for conversion and SQE1/2, and start a TC in September 2024.

The proposed route is:
    1. ULaw PGDL + SQE1 Prep course
      • This would allow me to complete the 35 week conversion course, as well as the SQE1 prep and SQE1 exam before September 2024
      • However, there is a 2.5month overlap between the end of the conversion course and the SQE1 prep
    2. ULaw MA Law (Conversion) + SQE1 Prep course
      • This is essentially the same as option 1. but this route allows for postgraduate funding
      • However, along with the 2.5month overlap, I would also be completing the MA Dissertation module alongside the end of SQE1 prep and the SQE1 exam

If anyone has any advice or suggestions on this situation, especially those who have experience both the ULaw PGDL and SQE1, then I would be extremely grateful.

I personally love the idea, as it means I am able to start my TC a year earlier than originally thought. However, as this is not proposed by any other law firms I am hesitant as I assume the downside must be the workload of taking the SQE1 prep course before finishing the conversion course.

All the best!

W5690

Nov 4, 2019
    Hello everyone!

I am a non-law undergraduate in my final year of study - I am due to graduate this June.

I have been in conversation with a law firm who have suggested that I do a conversion course and SQE1 within one year, despite all other law firms leaving two years for conversion and SQE1/2, and start a TC in September 2024.

The proposed route is:
    1. ULaw PGDL + SQE1 Prep course
      • This would allow me to complete the 35 week conversion course, as well as the SQE1 prep and SQE1 exam before September 2024
      • However, there is a 2.5month overlap between the end of the conversion course and the SQE1 prep
    2. ULaw MA Law (Conversion) + SQE1 Prep course
      • This is essentially the same as option 1. but this route allows for postgraduate funding
      • However, along with the 2.5month overlap, I would also be completing the MA Dissertation module alongside the end of SQE1 prep and the SQE1 exam

If anyone has any advice or suggestions on this situation, especially those who have experience both the ULaw PGDL and SQE1, then I would be extremely grateful.

I personally love the idea, as it means I am able to start my TC a year earlier than originally thought. However, as this is not proposed by any other law firms I am hesitant as I assume the downside must be the workload of taking the SQE1 prep course before finishing the conversion course.

All the best!

Hello @lowen13

How about the ULaw MA Law (SQE1)?

All the best

Jane Smith

Legendary Member
    Sep 2, 2020
    "I do a conversion course and SQE1 within one year". I think the BPP PGDL is 2 terms. Then the city consortium firms have their 12 month programme after that https://www.slaughterandmay.com/media/1urbrfzb/city-consortium-solicitor-training-programme.pdf. that is not too different from a one academic year GDL and then accelerated 7 months LPC.

I think the BPP PGDL with masters and SQE1 is 16 months but that does not include SQE2. It is certainly very complicated now that there are so many different options.

If the firm you mention want you to do either of those options whether they pay for them or not then go for it. As I say above the BPp PGDL Is just 2 terms long if no LLM done with it and you can go right on to SQE1 course immediately after. LLM Law Conversion with SQE1 also called SQE Training for Non-Law Graduates (Master’s) (at BPP)

potentialsolicitor2b

Premium Member
  • Dec 11, 2022
    I've had a look at ULaw's PgDL and the next intake after you graduate would be September 2023 and would end in May 2024. The next SQE 1 intake after this would start on September 2024 and finish in January 2025. I may be wrong so it's worth checking but I don't think you'd be able to complete it in a year.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.