Addleshaw Goddard video interview

Lauren

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Nov 16, 2018
Hi, I have been invited to a video interview with Addleshaw Goddard. Anyone have advice on how to prepare or the type of questions asked?
Any help is appreciated! : )

Maral

Dec 8, 2018
Same! From what I have gathered, the questions may be similar to those in the application form (i.e. why AG, why do you want to be a commercial lawyer etc..) but if anyone has actually done the interview recently and can confirm, that would be great!

JL

Star Member
Oct 31, 2018
The e-mail says that they're looking forward to hearing more about our skills and experiences. Given that, I imagine the questions will be focused on giving examples that demonstrate our skills, how those skills would be put to use at Addleshaw etc. Perhaps also there will be some competency based questions. What do you think @Jaysen ?

Maral

Dec 8, 2018
Thanks @Jaysen ! I've been looking at the type of questions AG typically ask and have compiled the below list (hope it helps and I'm on the right track!)

• Who are some of our biggest clients and which client do you admire?

• What key skills do you believe to be necessary to become a successful lawyer?

• Why this office?

• Why Addleshaw Goddard and what makes it unique?

• Tell us about yourself

• A time where you responded to a setback?

• What do you need to work on?

• A time where you received negative feedback?

• What is a threat facing law firms in the 21st century?

• A commercial story that his interested you?

• How do you stay commercially aware?

• Anything else to add?

• ℹ️
Reactions: LegalUser and JL

Maral

Dec 8, 2018
I've not decided on my answer to this question yet but I think the focal point should be around why you should be picked over other candidates. It's the last chance to impress and depending on what kind of questions they ask in the vid interview, you might have to think on your feet and reinforce the key points in your application.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hey guys

First response (from a future trainee at AG) -

"The best point I could make is that I thought the video interview had gone terribly. It can feel so unnatural without having any response and having the timer constantly ticking down. So I guess stemming from that it’s important not to lose faith, and not to give up. Even if you think one of your answers was absolutely awful, just move on to the next question. Hardly anyone feels like they’re doing really well, and either way one poor answer is not going to lose it for you. I’m aware that’s probably very standard advice, but I’m not sure I can offer much on the firm-specific side as I simply don’t remember!"

• ℹ️
    Reactions: LegalUser, Maral and JL

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    The e-mail says that they're looking forward to hearing more about our skills and experiences. Given that, I imagine the questions will be focused on giving examples that demonstrate our skills, how those skills would be put to use at Addleshaw etc. Perhaps also there will be some competency based questions. What do you think @Jaysen ?

That's how I would interpret the email. Unfortunately, I've seen so many varied video interview questions, so it's hard to say with any certainty. I like your approach @Maral - that's pretty much what I would do, practice as many questions as I could (ideally in a video interview format).

I think it's important to just practice questions that put you on the spot as it's quite possible there will be a question that initially throws you off.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    From a very kind-hearted future trainee at Addleshaw Goddard who wrote all of this while travelling!

"Firstly, I believe that the AG video interview is limited to generic I) motivation, ii) competency and iii) commercial awareness questions, and therefore it is possible to have a pre-prepared answer to practically all the questions. For example, you will almost certainly be asked a ‘’why law/ commercial law?’’ question (motivation), in addition to something like ‘’provide an example of a time you demonstrated leadership skills’ (competency). Prepare answers to predictable motivation questions, which are easy to remember. As for competency questions, memorise a STAR formula for each likely skill that will be questioned. (Situation, Task, Action, Result). This has proven to be very effective.

As regards commercial awareness, you may be asked to discuss opportunities/ challenges facing the legal industry, or to discuss a recent business story and its effect on legal practice. Technology is often cited as an example in these matters, and AG is very orientated on legal tech so this be a good place to research. I also found it incredibly useful to attend workshops at university to prepare for the interviews and the following stages of application. A workshop team who have developed a website called commercial awareness for students was invaluable to me, as they condense the top business stories into a readable format on a weekly basis. This is a great time saver and keeps you in the loop.

Furthermore, you will have to display knowledge about the firm itself, particularly what distinguishes AG from its competitors. I used the chambers and student guide, along with the firm website and articles discussing recent cases to brush up on my knowledge. I divided information into areas such as: firm culture, clients, recent cases, quality of training and trainee seat options. This way I could respond to any question with the appropriate information. Once again I would highly stress reading into AGs emphasis on technology (their transactional service team, HighQ technology, and novel legal tech trainee seat) as the firm prides itself on its tech focused approach to modern practice. Finally, learning about 2 to 3 recent cases that the firm has worked on, and being able to very briefly discuss the client and the outcome, is a great way to impress and show your interest in the firm.

The key to success is to remember to not rush the video interview answers. Take a moment or to compose your thought before you answer. This pause may feel like it lasts forever, but in reality it looks like you are really engaging with the question. You often have several seconds to prepare your answer, but do not feel as though you have to rush as soon as the recording starts. Practice really does make the crucial difference with these interviews and I would recommend attending mock interviews at your university career centre, practicing with a friend, or simply recording yourself on your computer over and over again. This will be key to remembering the information, but of course try to remember that you should not be sounding rehearsed or robotic - retain an energy/ personality in your answers, and be prepared to encounter the odd red herring question which you did not expect. Take a moment, compose yourself, and think through what you are being asked and what the interviewer really wants to see from you.

Most importantly of all, you really show why you have chosen AG - is the culture, the practice areas etc? A poor answer to this will be fatal to your application."

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.