Amending an application after you have submitted it...

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Hi guys,

Is it worth trying to amend an application if you notice any grammatical errors after you have submitted it?

For instance, with an 'apply4law' application should I amend the errors in the supplementary information section?

Thanks,
    Daniel

Salma

Legendary Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    Hi guys,

Is it worth trying to amend an application if you notice any grammatical errors after you have submitted it?

For instance, with an 'apply4law' application should I amend the errors in the supplementary information section?

Thanks,
    Daniel

Tricky one. Are you able to amend it though despite you sending it already?

Salma

Legendary Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    Would it be worth asking the firm? I can't edit the answer per se but I can mention where the errors are and correct them in the supplementary information if that helps...

To be honest I would leave it, I doubt a firm would allow you to correct grammatical errors in the supplementary information section. They’ll just say you should of checked it before hand or could even ignore you request.

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    To be honest I would leave it, I doubt a firm would allow you to correct grammatical errors in the supplementary information section. They’ll just say you should of checked it before hand or could even ignore you request.
    Fair enough. Hopefully it won’t have too much of a negative impact!

Salma

Legendary Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    Fair enough. Hopefully it won’t have too much of a negative impact!

Fingers crossed. Just goes to show that you should always check apps carefully.

In the future, you should print it, check it, leave it for a day and then recheck it. A pair of fresh eyes will really pinpoint any errors you might not have caught beforehand, just a tip (I am sure you’re aware of it anyways)!

Reactions: Daniel Boden

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Would it be worth asking the firm? I can't edit the answer per se but I can mention where the errors are and correct them in the supplementary information if that helps...

Agreed it's best to leave it (you also risk drawing the attention of the firm to the grammatical mistake!)

If it makes you feel any better, my first vacation scheme was at a firm which I spelled incorrectly throughout my application. While it's obviously not ideal, sometimes firms won't notice (or they'll ignore it).

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Agreed it's best to leave it (you also risk drawing the attention of the firm to the grammatical mistake!)

If it makes you feel any better, my first vacation scheme was at a firm which I spelled incorrectly throughout my application. While it's obviously not ideal, sometimes firms won't notice (or they'll ignore it).
    Okay that's a relief - thanks Jaysen!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.