App qn

datguyak

Esteemed Member
Nov 20, 2018
Hi all I'm applying to quite a small law firm

regarding this question:
Please use the space below to introduce yourself and tell us why you wish to pursue a legal career at a boutique law firm

I'm a bit stuck on the introduce yourself bit- On other parts of the form, it already asks for Uni attended and the basic questions eg work experience etc... So I don't want to repeat myself and state the basics but I'm not sure how to address that part of the question. There are also separate questions for "why this firm" etc so should I just focus on why a boutique firm?

Would appreciate any advice.

Helena

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Feb 28, 2018
So the second part of the question is clearly where you focus on why a boutique firm and why you are suited to a role in that firm.
But the first part is a 'tell me about yourself' . It's a chance to pitch and sell yourself. Although you have mentioned that uni attended is on another part of the form, there is no harm in being concise and saying here that you chose to study X subject because... and perhaps modules you have particularly enjoyed, excelled at and match skills that you use/used in your degree through research etc which are paramount for a trainee. If you have any legal work experience that you want to mention you could tie that in. e.g. If you have done any pro bono at university, work involved and why you enjoy it. Then possibly a sentence about your other skills like good communicator, team player - backed up of course with examples.

Just some ideas. See what others think.

Reactions: datguyak and PHT

datguyak

Esteemed Member
Nov 20, 2018
So the second part of the question is clearly where you focus on why a boutique firm and why you are suited to a role in that firm.
But the first part is a 'tell me about yourself' . It's a chance to pitch and sell yourself. Although you have mentioned that uni attended is on another part of the form, there is no harm in being concise and saying here that you chose to study X subject because... and perhaps modules you have particularly enjoyed, excelled at and match skills that you use/used in your degree through research etc which are paramount for a trainee. If you have any legal work experience that you want to mention you could tie that in. e.g. If you have done any pro bono at university, work involved and why you enjoy it. Then possibly a sentence about your other skills like good communicator, team player - backed up of course with examples.

Just some ideas. See what others think.

Ah okay, thanks for that Helena that's really helpful- quick follow up- so another question is "what skills do successful lawyers need?" So for the initial introduce yourself question I can talk about myself a bit as you suggested and what skills I have and how I have developed them eg positions of responsibility- but this question (what skills do lawyers need) would you say then that I simply need to explain several skills that lawyers need rather than showing how I have them?

Hope that makes sense and is not a dumb question! Thanks

Helena

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Feb 28, 2018
Well I think you need to answer the question as here they want to know that you understand exactly what it takes to be a lawyer and, as it doesn't specifically ask about you, I would be inclined to stick to the question for the majority of the answer. It also depends on the word count - if you have any space available to add in any of the ways in which you have developed these skills. Core skills are the obvious ones - commercial awareness, attention to detail, drive and determination, teamwork and of course the all important communication skills in a role which is so client-centric. It's important not to repeat anything you have covered in another answer, so take this into consideration too.
Hope this helps.

datguyak

Esteemed Member
Nov 20, 2018
Well I think you need to answer the question as here they want to know that you understand exactly what it takes to be a lawyer and, as it doesn't specifically ask about you, I would be inclined to stick to the question for the majority of the answer. It also depends on the word count - if you have any space available to add in any of the ways in which you have developed these skills. Core skills are the obvious ones - commercial awareness, attention to detail, drive and determination, teamwork and of course the all important communication skills in a role which is so client-centric. It's important not to repeat anything you have covered in another answer, so take this into consideration too.
Hope this helps.

ahh ok thanks so much :)

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.