Applications, is Magic Circle out the question

Sarah_00

• Aug 10, 2023
    I am entering my third year soon. I had poor grades in my first year (with 50% grades in modules and a 40% in contract law, a 55% in Tort), with EC. This also affected the start of my second year grades, but I managed to pull it to a low 2:1 avarege. I started taking on ambassadorial roles, engaging with societies, working on strengthing my application as a result. I am on track to achieve a 2:1 for my final year, I will work hard to get a first. I am wondering if all my efforts will go to waste because of my transcript, one look at my earlier grades can ruin my application. I would love some advice, is it worth applying to magic circle firms now.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I am entering my third year soon. I had poor grades in my first year (with 50% grades in modules and a 40% in contract law, a 55% in Tort), with EC. This also affected the start of my second year grades, but I managed to pull it to a low 2:1 avarege. I started taking on ambassadorial roles, engaging with societies, working on strengthing my application as a result. I am on track to achieve a 2:1 for my final year, I will work hard to get a first. I am wondering if all my efforts will go to waste because of my transcript, one look at my earlier grades can ruin my application. I would love some advice, is it worth applying to magic circle firms now.
    I’d personally suggest waiting until the majority of your grades are a 2.1 (eg when you have your final year results) and you can show what your grades would be without mitigating circumstances.

There is no rush with this - and particularly if the Magic Circle is what you are aiming for, there are other things you can do outside of academia that might develop your profile.

I’d also stress the Magic Circle firms are just 5 firms out of a much broader set of commercial firms you could apply to, I really encourage people not just to focus on the MC firms as there may be lots of other firms you are better suited to/better suit you (and that comes from someone who worked at three of the five).

Reactions: Sarah_00

AndreaMartins

Aug 15, 2023
    I´d day if you want to apply now look into law firms that have no academic requirements like Cliffors Chance.But if you´re looking into others that do require make sure you´re experience is strong enough

Reactions: Sarah_00

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.