Should I delay TC applications until after 3rd year because of poor 2nd year grades?

Logan1101

Distinguished Member
  • Jul 16, 2022
    I achieved 66% in my first year studying law and my second-year average is 59.4%. I am really worried that firms would think I would not be able to achieve a good 2.1 because of this, since some top firms want 65%+ which is why I think I got a lot of VS interviews in my first year. Are my grades too poor for TC applications? I don't really have mitigating circumstances and the reason I did so poorly is because I kept applying for so many schemes this year which shifted my focus from exams.

edit:
    I thought I should post my grades in full to provide a better picture

First Year:
    • Tort Law - 73%
    • Public Law -71%
    • Law & Legal Theory - 64%
    • Contract Law - 57% :(
    Second year:
    • EU Law - 64%
    • Advanced Tort -61%
    • Criminal Law -61%
    • Land Law - 56% :(
    • Personal Property -55% :(

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Where you say your grades were impacted because you were making so many applications, then my advice would be to focus on getting your grades back up and then apply next year. Otherwise I think you risk repeating the same pattern.

Logan1101

Distinguished Member
  • Jul 16, 2022
    Where you say your grades were impacted because you were making so many applications, then my advice would be to focus on getting your grades back up and then apply next year. Otherwise I think you risk repeating the same pattern.
    Yes, you are right but it wasn't just applications I also had two committee roles in my second year and missed out on most lectures.

Would this mean applying during my final year as next year's TC application would be in July as well but it's possible that I could get my grades before applying?

AlexJ

Valued Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Sep 23, 2022
    I would say that if you can improve your grades and also do some applications then doing these may help- even if I just turns out to be good practice for applying again in third year. But focusing on good grades is the most important

Logan1101

Distinguished Member
  • Jul 16, 2022
    I would say that if you can improve your grades and also do some applications then doing these may help- even if I just turns out to be good practice for applying again in third year. But focusing on good grades is the most important
    I want to clear up some confusion here, I am not applying for TC right now, I mean during my final year or waiting until after I complete my final year?

Some TC deadlines would be as early as March and I would have to include my second-year grades which could hurt my chances. I am confident I can get a good 2.1 overall given the 2.2 I got in my second year was borderline but I am not sure if law firms would be convinced of this.

AlexJ

Valued Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Sep 23, 2022
    I want to clear up some confusion here, I am not applying for TC right now, I mean during my final year or waiting until after I complete my final year?

Some TC deadlines would be as early as March and I would have to include my second-year grades which could hurt my chances. I am confident I can get a good 2.1 overall given the 2.2 I got in my second year was borderline but I am not sure if law firms would be convinced of this.
    Sorry I have got my years confused- I would apply to some firms in the vac scheme cycle if you have time (perhaps vac scheme only firms) but focus mainly on grades and then apply potentially to directs over the summer once you have got your final grades

Reactions: Logan1101

Logan1101

Distinguished Member
  • Jul 16, 2022
    Sorry I have got my years confused- I would apply to some firms in the vac scheme cycle if you have time (perhaps vac scheme only firms) but focus mainly on grades and then apply potentially to directs over the summer once you have got your final grades
    Alright but there is basically no hope of a first since given my average in second year even if I average a first in my final year it would have to be a really high first(75%+) to make up for my poor results and my uni doesn't hand out super high firsts either. I did pick modules that have a higher percentage of firsts though so I'm confident that I can get to at least a high 2.1 regardless so that is what I am going to focus on.

I am currently in a mentoring/coaching program with Pinsent Masons and was worried they'd kick me out because of my grades as I have to update them on my results but hopefully they keep me on.

AlexJ

Valued Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Sep 23, 2022
    Alright but there is basically no hope of a first since given my average in second year even if I average a first in my final year it would have to be a really high first(75%+) to make up for my poor results and my uni doesn't hand out super high firsts either. I did pick modules that have a higher percentage of firsts though so I'm confident that I can get to at least a high 2.1 regardless so that is what I am going to focus on.

I am currently in a mentoring/coaching program with Pinsent Masons and was worried they'd kick me out because of my grades as I have to update them on my results but hopefully they keep me on.
    I hope they keep you on too! The higher the grade you can get the more it will help, so even if you can’t get a first aim to get as high of a 2:1 as you can. Good luck with it

hannah04

Legendary Member
    Jan 9, 2023
    You did very well getting 2 firsts in your first year, good job! And even though you got a few bumps in the second year grades, it is not the end of the world. The fact you achieved 2 firsts also shows potential for you doing well and the ability to achieve a 2.1 overall. If I were you, I would focus on applying to VS's for this upcoming cycle if you didn't do any VS' this summer. Alternatively, applications can be very time consuming and distracting from school - so you might consider skipping this upcoming cycle, focusing on school, and then applying the following cycle.

Logan1101

Distinguished Member
  • Jul 16, 2022
    You did very well getting 2 firsts in your first year, good job! And even though you got a few bumps in the second year grades, it is not the end of the world. The fact you achieved 2 firsts also shows potential for you doing well and the ability to achieve a 2.1 overall. If I were you, I would focus on applying to VS's for this upcoming cycle if you didn't do any VS' this summer. Alternatively, applications can be very time consuming and distracting from school - so you might consider skipping this upcoming cycle, focusing on school, and then applying the following cycle.
    Thanks, I definitely would get a 2.1 but I would rather have a high 2.1 or first given how inflated grades are with some universities handing out 80%+ for certain modules which never happens at my uni. I have applied for VS this cycle and got a couple of ACs but I am not sure if it would be better to postpone applications then focus on direct TCs in the summer or as you said apply for a few schemes early in the year.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.