Incoming 3rd Year Grades Check

coldmilc

Jul 11, 2022
Hi,

I am an incoming year 3 law student (final year) at a Russell Group uni in London. I received my module grades recently and my grades overall were fairly okay, as I averaged a 66 (compared with a 62.75 in first year). However, I have a really poor 2.1 in my contract law module and only scrapped a first in one module. All my grades are 2.1 though. I just realised I am pretty poor with timed tests (whereas I do really well with coursework which unfortunately has a way smaller weighting in exams) which does drag my score down.

Currently, I am aiming for MC (particularly A&O) and US firms (Skadden, Davis Polk etc.). Do you think I have a shot with these firms or am I being too ambitious? Seeing that most of my alumni in these firms either having awards for being top scorers in their cohort / have completed the Oxford BCL, it does make me feel a lot more anxious to apply. Sorry, I know this has been asked so many times before already but I just want an honest opinion on this!

For further information, I don't have any mitigating circumstances besides completing my first year during the pandemic. I do have really strong ECs (leadership position in school societies + mooting experience) if that helps.

Thanks in advance!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi,

I am an incoming year 3 law student (final year) at a Russell Group uni in London. I received my module grades recently and my grades overall were fairly okay, as I averaged a 66 (compared with a 62.75 in first year). However, I have a really poor 2.1 in my contract law module and only scrapped a first in one module. All my grades are 2.1 though. I just realised I am pretty poor with timed tests (whereas I do really well with coursework which unfortunately has a way smaller weighting in exams) which does drag my score down.

Currently, I am aiming for MC (particularly A&O) and US firms (Skadden, Davis Polk etc.). Do you think I have a shot with these firms or am I being too ambitious? Seeing that most of my alumni in these firms either having awards for being top scorers in their cohort / have completed the Oxford BCL, it does make me feel a lot more anxious to apply. Sorry, I know this has been asked so many times before already but I just want an honest opinion on this!

For further information, I don't have any mitigating circumstances besides completing my first year during the pandemic. I do have really strong ECs (leadership position in school societies + mooting experience) if that helps.

Thanks in advance!
The vast majority of people in MC firms will not be the top academic performers from their university or BCL alum.

Your grades on the face of it are fine for a number of the firms in those categories - but it will be a much broader range of criteria and evidence that will impact your chances than just your grades.

But ultimately with 2.1s consistently across your modules (apart from one first), there are no red flags in there.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.