Low 2:1 vs mid/high 2:1

SamuelJoseph

Feb 9, 2024
Hi there,

I have just received a 62 on my first summative (which was the coursework element of a module worth 50%). I am slightly disappointed as I did aim for more of a mid/high 2:1, given from current research on law firms as well Slaughter & May would be one of my top picks as well (I.e. a firm that is notoriously more picky with the specifics of grades!).

Am I correct in thinking that, from my understanding, Slaughter & May’s “strong 2:1” requirement is to be understood in specific, actual numbers as 65% and above as an overall across modules? How much would individual modules play a part in this process (I.e., would one low 2:1 module with a 65%+ average overall be a significant hindrance?)? Would a low 2:1, be it as an average or in individual modules, compared to getting a mid/high 2:1 be of a significant detriment to for example other MC/SC/US firms that appear to have less stringent grading requirements?

Thank you in advance guys to any one for providing assistance to me regarding my queries

Zi48

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2022
I don’t think a grade in a single module will be a deciding factor, most firms require a 2.1 overall, I’ve seen very few firms say they need a 2.1 in each module.

Some firms like Slaughter and May are a bit pickier with ‘strong 2.1’ but that is still for your overall grade, not module specific.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Slaughters won’t require you to have a 65 or above in every module. They are notorious for putting high value on academic performance but it isn’t as prescriptive as someone having to achieve a high 2.1 in every module.

Firms who care less about academics, then a lower 2.1 is fine, especially if you have other stand out qualities elsewhere in your application.

u26jm18

• Jan 17, 2024
    Hey hey, just to let you know, my first year of university was a total disaster and I scored less than 60% on the vast majority of modules. I did end up graduating with a first class at the end of the day, but provided that I was given a final interview for S&M last year, I think you'll be okay! :)

(In other words, no, you clearly do not need to perform consistently across all modules).

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.