Are all SQE courses (sponsored as part of TC) broadly the same ?

LawyerInMaking

Gold Member
Premium Member
Jul 20, 2023
Hi @Jessica Booker , @axelbeugre , some firms (SM, FF etc) are part of City Consortium and BPP (their provider) offers a very interesting SQE plus (mini rotation of 2-3 weeks across 4 pratice areas) in addition to SQE1 and SQE2 prep. W&Case also offers a similar program (SQE plus) through not a part of City Consortium. Some firms like Skadden don't say anything on their website about details of their SQE .

Are all SQE courses (sponsored by the firms as a part of TC) broadly the same ? How important a criteria (for a trainee) should the quality of SQE be as well as whether a firm gives details on its website ? Is City Consortium's SQE superior to others ? Is SQE plus something "extra" or do all firms offer it ? Am I overthinking on whether this should be a criteria to decide where to train?

Thanks.

Reactions: axelbeugre

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker , @axelbeugre , some firms (SM, FF etc) are part of City Consortium and BPP (their provider) offers a very interesting SQE plus (mini rotation of 2-3 weeks across 4 pratice areas) in addition to SQE1 and SQE2 prep. W&Case also offers a similar program (SQE plus) through not a part of City Consortium. Some firms like Skadden don't say anything on their website about details of their SQE .

Are all SQE courses (sponsored by the firms as a part of TC) broadly the same ? How important a criteria (for a trainee) should the quality of SQE be as well as whether a firm gives details on its website ? Is City Consortium's SQE superior to others ? Is SQE plus something "extra" or do all firms offer it ? Am I overthinking on whether this should be a criteria to decide where to train?

Thanks.
SQE prep courses can be very different.

They can range from Masters level course which not only will have the SQE prep embedded into them but will have academic assessments so they meet a level 7 qualification standard.

Other courses will just be prep courses for the SQE - with no academic requirements/assessments, just teaching you how to prepare for the assessments.

Some of the consortiums or bespoke courses are also designed to focus on particular topics more aligned to each law firm’s practice areas.

Because of all of these things, the courses can feel very different to one another.

Once you qualify, no one is going to question you about how you passed the SQE, so the only thing in regards to the reputation of the course should really be pass rates for the SQE (although this can be really difficult to find) and whether the course helps prepare you for life as a trainee in a law firm - that’s where some of the bolt on aspects like the SQE Plus course can help, but isn’t always something through enough to help set you up. It may just help you with a particular set of knowledge.

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023

Thanks.
I totally agree with what @Jessica Booker and @prospectiveswitcher have said already.

Although the courses can feel different to a certain degree, the SQE 1 and SQE2 is the same exam for everyone and that is what counts. I personally will not make it a serious decision-factor to decide between a magic circle or a US firm.

I think that more than anything you should choose a firm based on how the scheme made you feel and the work you have done was interesting or not.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
My two cents - whilst what Jessica has said above is no doubt valid, I would absolutely not let the type of education the firm sponsors be a decider - the firm itself should be the biggest factor in choosing where you train. As soon as you start your traineeship it really won't matter.
Completely agree with this - many firms just go with SQE prep courses that help you pass the SQE, while others build other training into the SQE prep course so they don’t have to do it during the training contract. It doesn't mean one is good or one is bad - its just different approaches to training. For the firms that don't include the training in the SQE, they know its because it will be embedded into the TC.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.