Ask 3 future trainees (Magic & Silver Circle, International Elite) ANYTHING! *New TCLA Team Members*

Aspiring.lawyer.to.be

Legendary Member
  • Nov 26, 2019
    Hiya,

I’ve recently been invited to a video interview with Gowling WLG. The format is very different. This is my first video interview I’m not sure how to prepare for it.

The email only gives the following info: ‘’This is a short video interview to give you a realistic preview of the type of work we do at Gowling WLG and also what our culture is like. This means that we will present you with a scenario (i.e. a situation you might find yourself in if you were working at Gowling WLG) and will ask you how you would deal with it, what action you would take and how you would achieve a positive outcome.‘’

I would be grateful if you can please share any tips on how to tackle it! It would be very useful. I’m really lost and confused where to start... Many thanks :)

CDKelley

Standard Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Dec 1, 2020
    Hi Jacob,

Thank you for being here today. My name is Courtney and I am interested in a TC with Norton Rose Fulbright- it's my dream firm. A little bit about me: I am an American completing a two-year LLB at Queen Mary University of London. I have two advanced degrees, proficiency in three languages, two internships with the US State Department conducting legal and market analyses, and an internship with Disney Corporation. I've done four virtual internships (W&C, Latham & Watkins, and Clifford Chance). I'm writing my cover letter for NRF highlighting my interest in their work in Africa, political risk analysis, and project finance. Do you think this is enough for a direct application for a TC? Or should I play it 'safe' and apply for the summer vacation scheme instead? I'm worried that I will not have a TC secured by the time I graduate in 2022.

Any thoughts are welcomed!
    -Courtney

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Hi Jacob,

Thank you for being here today. My name is Courtney and I am interested in a TC with Norton Rose Fulbright- it's my dream firm. A little bit about me: I am an American completing a two-year LLB at Queen Mary University of London. I have two advanced degrees, proficiency in three languages, two internships with the US State Department conducting legal and market analyses, and an internship with Disney Corporation. I've done four virtual internships (W&C, Latham & Watkins, and Clifford Chance). I'm writing my cover letter for NRF highlighting my interest in their work in Africa, political risk analysis, and project finance. Do you think this is enough for a direct application for a TC? Or should I play it 'safe' and apply for the summer vacation scheme instead? I'm worried that I will not have a TC secured by the time I graduate in 2022.

Any thoughts are welcomed!
    -Courtney
    Hi Courtney,

First of all, congratulations on all your achievements to date! That's a very impressive CV you've got there.

In terms of what is "enough", it's somewhat challenging to answer in those terms. It's much more about how you manage to justify why those things are important to you: for example, is there some sort of personal connection with these areas that particularly attracts you? That is far more important than just abstract knowledge of the firm's activities. That said, those things are good options to write about if you can make that connection. Another thing to consider is the importance of ensuring that you make clear how these things make NRF different from other firms. What are they doing that others aren't? How do their offerings in these areas make them a more attractive proposition for clients than another City firm?

In terms of language skills, past internships, etc, the important stuff to bear in mind isn't just that you've done them, but everything you've actually learned from them and how that increased knowledge makes you a better candidate than others who may be applying for the same position. Think here about transferable skills as well as industry-specific skills. For example, if you've had in-house work experience, you may have learned therefrom about the specific needs and considerations of clients when they're appointing a private practice firm. Having an understanding of issues like this may help differentiate you from other candidates.

In terms of VS application as opposed to direct TC, this is something I'm maybe not in such a great position to comment on with specific reference to NRF as my application was for a VS. Both are very valid and pose different challenges. For example, VS applications will often be even more oversubscribed than direct TC apps in my experience- they do, though, give the firm a better chance to get to know you (and vice versa) before offering you a TC. They also give you a better understanding of the firm for discussion in an exit interview, so you may be able to provide unique information that you wouldn't have in a direct TC app.
    In my opinion- and it is only my opinion, this is somewhat controversial- I tend to believe that, making a direct TC app or a VS app for a firm you haven't yet interacted with personally, there is far less legitimacy to discussing in any depth the culture of the firm. Quite simply, you haven't experienced it. To that end, applying for and completing a VS gives you a much more legitimate position when discussing the firm's culture than, in my opinion, a direct TC app does. On the other hand, a direct TC app may give you less 'hoops' to jump through as you don't have the 5-10 days of constant assessment that comprises a VS to take into account. There are definite pros and cons to each model, so something that you probably want to consider with regard to your specific needs, wants and circumstances.

Naomi U

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    Dec 8, 2019
    Hiya,

I’ve recently been invited to a video interview with Gowling WLG. The format is very different. This is my first video interview I’m not sure how to prepare for it.

The email only gives the following info: ‘’This is a short video interview to give you a realistic preview of the type of work we do at Gowling WLG and also what our culture is like. This means that we will present you with a scenario (i.e. a situation you might find yourself in if you were working at Gowling WLG) and will ask you how you would deal with it, what action you would take and how you would achieve a positive outcome.‘’

I would be grateful if you can please share any tips on how to tackle it! It would be very useful. I’m really lost and confused where to start... Many thanks :)

Hi @Legal_Angels

Unfortunately, I haven't got much experience with Gowling WLG, however I may be able to offer my personal approach.

My key advice would be to make sure that you have a firm understanding of Gowling's key values and what they look for in candidates.
    I found this statement on Gowling's about us section: "What sets us apart is our growing reputation for client experience, outstanding people and creative energy".

This indicates that they are looking for individuals who are client and commercially focused, as well as creative and innovative in their approach. Outstanding can mean a lot of things, but generally speaking this can be taken to suggest people who aim high, are reliable and can perform well both individually as well as within a team. With this in mind, when approaching the scenarios, I would recommend using these values to influence your responses.

In terms of structuring your answers, make sure to always offer a brief explanation to show your reasoning.
    More generally, remember to smile and let your personality shine!

Here are some more general tips on video interviews written recently by the others:

Video interviews are somewhat different than in-person interviews because they are usually somewhat jarring at the beginning with the usual "can you see me/ hear me okay?" type questions at the start. Generally speaking, though, they're okay thereafter- very similar to normal interviews, in my experience of them. If I had to give three 'top tips' they would probably be:

1: Make sure your tech setup works beforehand, that your camera and lighting are good and your audio is crisp. Make sure you've got a solid internet connection. Ask someone you know to have a call with you on the same platform to ensure all these things are good to go, but make sure it's the same as the interview platform as different platforms convey video/ audio/ lighting etc slightly differently in my experience.
    2: Make sure whatever webcam you're using is looking straight on at you when you sit up straight and properly- if necessary, prop it up on a pile of books or get a laptop stand off Amazon (they can be purchased for less than £10). When using the webcam, make sure you're always looking straight into it rather than off to one side or the other. If you're using Zoom, or a platform which allows you to have a 'gallery view' with all call participants being displayed at once, use that function- especially if you have more than one interviewer.
    3: Don't over-think! It's easy to get panicky because video interviews are different to what we're used to. Though they're slightly nuanced, by no means are they dramatically more challenging. Remember as well that interviewers have the same reservations about video interviewers, 99 times out of 100 they will know the challenges they pose and be understanding/ empathic about them.

As a little bonus tip, avoid the temptation to have notes around you etc. These cause your eyes to dart around and it looks as if you're looking away from the interviewer- in terms of notes, treat a video interview in the exact same way you would treat one in person.

Completely agree with everything that Jacob just said! Some additional tips:

1. Expect a mix of competency and commercial questions. I think most of them are competency questions with one commercial one so prepare for some of the typical competencies that firms look for like teamwork, time management and resilience. Also prepare for the most common type of commercial question i.e. "Tell me about a recent news story and how it affects the firm".
    2. Practice - Maybe by talking aloud to a friend on skype or if you have a premium membership on TCLA, there's a great VI simulator.
    2. Make full use of the preparation time given to you. Most VI platforms give you 30 seconds to prepare your answer, so have a paper and pen next to you in case you need to jot your answers and key points down.
    3. Be as succinct as possible. The tough thing about VIs is that it's really difficult to get your point across on why you want to join a firm you really like/how you showed teamwork in 1.5 minutes. So keep a simple structure, use clear pointers like "Firstly, secondly, thirdly" if need be.
    5. Projection - However loudly you speak in real life, speak twice as loudly because I've always found from recording myself that audio can sometimes end up sounding muffled no matter how good of a recording device I have. Also speak slowly and clearly and try not to rush through your answers!
    6. Look at the webcam when you speak and not yourself/the screen (can feel a bit awkward doing this at first, but do try practicing it). It can also help to put the webcam at eye-level using books/a stand like Jacob mentioned.
    7. Enthusiasm - Smile a lot. Even if the VI is the last place you want to be (which for most people it is), make sure that you're desire to work at the firm is really conveyed in your body language!

I don't know anyone that doesn't dislike video interviews and I was an absolute nervous wreck doing mine. But even when I stumbled, I always tried to remind myself to just take a deep breath and if really need be re-start the sentence or what I was saying. Like Jacob said, I think GR know how tough VIs are on everybody so don't be too hard on yourself if you slip up slightly.

Good luck with your VI today, I'll have my fingers crossed for you!

Best of luck!

Last edited:
    • 🤝
    Reactions: Aspiring.lawyer.to.be

CDKelley

Standard Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Dec 1, 2020
    Hi Courtney,

First of all, congratulations on all your achievements to date! That's a very impressive CV you've got there.

In terms of what is "enough", it's somewhat challenging to answer in those terms. It's much more about how you manage to justify why those things are important to you: for example, is there some sort of personal connection with these areas that particularly attracts you? That is far more important than just abstract knowledge of the firm's activities. That said, those things are good options to write about if you can make that connection. Another thing to consider is the importance of ensuring that you make clear how these things make NRF different from other firms. What are they doing that others aren't? How do their offerings in these areas make them a more attractive proposition for clients than another City firm?

In terms of language skills, past internships, etc, the important stuff to bear in mind isn't just that you've done them, but everything you've actually learned from them and how that increased knowledge makes you a better candidate than others who may be applying for the same position. Think here about transferable skills as well as industry-specific skills. For example, if you've had in-house work experience, you may have learned therefrom about the specific needs and considerations of clients when they're appointing a private practice firm. Having an understanding of issues like this may help differentiate you from other candidates.

In terms of VS application as opposed to direct TC, this is something I'm maybe not in such a great position to comment on with specific reference to NRF as my application was for a VS. Both are very valid and pose different challenges. For example, VS applications will often be even more oversubscribed than direct TC apps in my experience- they do, though, give the firm a better chance to get to know you (and vice versa) before offering you a TC. They also give you a better understanding of the firm for discussion in an exit interview, so you may be able to provide unique information that you wouldn't have in a direct TC app.
    In my opinion- and it is only my opinion, this is somewhat controversial- I tend to believe that, making a direct TC app or a VS app for a firm you haven't yet interacted with personally, there is far less legitimacy to discussing in any depth the culture of the firm. Quite simply, you haven't experienced it. To that end, applying for and completing a VS gives you a much more legitimate position when discussing the firm's culture than, in my opinion, a direct TC app does. On the other hand, a direct TC app may give you less 'hoops' to jump through as you don't have the 5-10 days of constant assessment that comprises a VS to take into account. There are definite pros and cons to each model, so something that you probably want to consider with regard to your specific needs, wants and circumstances.
    Thank you for the advice!

l789

Aug 19, 2020
    @Naomi U @Jacob Miller Hi, I was just wondering is there a limit on how many work experience entries we can enter onto an application, I have about 5 entries, however, I see many people on LinkedIn with about 10 or more jobs listed; whether it be multiple society positions, open days or one-week placements. When I phoned up Clifford Chance Graduate Recruitment they told me they don't have a set limit of entries but placed emphasis on putting only work experience that is relevant (legal and non-legal). How do people approach this as I see many LinkedIn profiles that seem to be saturated with absolutely anything and everything and this makes me feel like I need to take on another brand ambassador position or apply for another society committee and constantly feel the need to take on more just to keep up with other candidates and the competition, especially regarding extra-curriculars as people seem to sell these very well on LinkedIn.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @Naomi U @Jacob Miller Hi, I was just wondering is there a limit on how many work experience entries we can enter onto an application, I have about 5 entries, however, I see many people on LinkedIn with about 10 or more jobs listed; whether it be multiple society positions, open days or one-week placements. When I phoned up Clifford Chance Graduate Recruitment they told me they don't have a set limit of entries but placed emphasis on putting only work experience that is relevant (legal and non-legal). How do people approach this as I see many LinkedIn profiles that seem to be saturated with absolutely anything and everything and this makes me feel like I need to take on another brand ambassador position or apply for another society committee and constantly feel the need to take on more just to keep up with other candidates and the competition, especially regarding extra-curriculars as people seem to sell these very well on LinkedIn.

Most firms wouldn’t consider society positions work experience. Most firms will be far more interested in your part time job in retail or in a pub than an open day.

A LinkedIn profile is not an application form - don’t get too caught up on what other people have on their LinkedIn profiles as it doesn’t necessarily translate into a good application. LinkedIn is not a healthy way to compare yourself - you only see people’s successes, never their failures.

Last edited:

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020

I can only really second was Jessica has said here:
    Most firms wouldn’t consider society positions work experience.

A LinkedIn profile is not an application form - don’t get too caught up on what other people have on their LinkedIn profiles as it doesn’t necessarily translate into a good application. LinkedIn is not a healthy way to compare yourself - you only see people’s successes, never their failures.

I think the key here is to remember that it's work experience. Uni societies etc would more be considered voluntary experience, which some firms will ask for separately. I would first ensure that all your key work experiences are in place before adding anything more ancillary. As Jessica says, don't worry much about LinkedIn- it's a professional blog, more or less, which shows the 'highlight reel' of often-very-competitive individuals in a highly-competitive industry and should be taken with a generous pinch of salt as such!

Aspiring.lawyer.to.be

Legendary Member
  • Nov 26, 2019
    Hi @Legal_Angels

Unfortunately, I haven't got much experience with Gowling WLG, however I may be able to offer my personal approach.

My key advice would be to make sure that you have a firm understanding of Gowling's key values and what they look for in candidates.
    I found this statement on Gowling's about us section: "What sets us apart is our growing reputation for client experience, outstanding people and creative energy".

This indicates that they are looking for individuals who are client and commercially focused, as well as creative and innovative in their approach. Outstanding can mean a lot of things, but generally speaking this can be taken to suggest people who aim high, are reliable and can perform well both individually as well as within a team. With this in mind, when approaching the scenarios, I would recommend using these values to influence your responses.

In terms of structuring your answers, make sure to always offer a brief explanation to show your reasoning.
    More generally, remember to smile and let your personality shine!

Here are some more general tips on video interviews written recently by the others:

Best of luck!

Thank you!!!

Reactions: Naomi U

sebastianyatra

Dec 18, 2019
    Hi everyone, thanks so much for creating this thread!

Hi everyone,

I’ve been a long time user of TCLA (some of you may be more familiar with my old username Ren97) and am really excited to be taking on this role with Naomi and Jacob. I’m currently taking a much-needed year out before my LPC and TC with Baker McKenzie in 2022.

By way of background, I completed my first vacation scheme with Slaughter and May in the summer of my second year. I unfortunately did not manage to convert that into a training contract. As an international non-EU student, the anxiety of only having one more year to secure my dream job really kicked in after that. Although after some reflection I did realise that the rejection was probably for the best (as I had my doubts about whether I would have been happy at the firm) I had a hard time shaking off the huge knock in confidence and the increased self-doubt that rejection gave me.

When I applied again my second cycle, I was far pickier with the firms I applied to. I only applied to firms that I really felt had a culture that I fit in with and had a strong emphasis on diversity. I also realised that part of the reason I was unsuccessful in my previous application cycle was that I was portraying what I thought firms wanted in trainees rather than being my authentic self. So I made sure that every interview I walked into, I really let my interviewers get to know me and started to focus on talking about more personal achievements and experiences that I’d had thus far. This approached worked wonders for me. In my second cycle, I secured three vacation schemes with Latham & Watkins, Baker McKenzie and NRF and was lucky enough to received TC offers from all three.

My two biggest takeaways from the TC process is that firstly securing a TC is not an innate talent or ability some people have and others don’t. Instead it’s something that involves practice and honing skills (application writing skills, interview skills etc). TCLA was instrumental in helping me develop these skills and I really hope to be able to give back to the community that helped me. Secondly, rejection really does mean that there is a better firm, a better fit waiting for you. If your journey is longer/harder, it just means your calling is higher and I hope to be able to remind anyone struggling on the forums of that.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to fire away! :)

Thank you for sharing your journey, I can definitely relate to it. L&W, Baker McKenzie and NRF are three firms I'm really interested in, congrats on securing TCs for all three! What would you say made you choose to work at Baker McKenzie over the other two firms, and what do you think changed in the way you did vacation schemes in your first and second cycles?

golden99

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 1, 2021
    Hi @Jacob Miller @Naomi U, @Dheepa

I am discussing how fast-track drug trials after Brexit will affect law firms. My current analysis includes that if pharmaceutical clients do more business in the UK due to the fast-track drug trials, this will create more work for law firms. In addition, with the UK framework for drug approval diverging from the EU, there will be more advisory work for law firms. Do you think these are strong points and would you have any suggestions for further analysis of the issue?

I would be really grateful for any help you can provide!

Last edited:

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Hi everyone, thanks so much for creating this thread!

Thank you for sharing your journey, I can definitely relate to it. L&W, Baker McKenzie and NRF are three firms I'm really interested in, congrats on securing TCs for all three! What would you say made you choose to work at Baker McKenzie over the other two firms, and what do you think changed in the way you did vacation schemes in your first and second cycles?

This is such a long post, my apologies in advance! I really hope you find some of this useful! :)

What changed about my applications:

1. Application strategy: My first cycle of VS apps was haphazard at best. I didn't have a clear application strategy and applied to literally any firm I had vaguely heard of. Not to mention my hatred of the WG test (from applying to first year schemes) meant I tried my best to stay away from firms that used testing of any kind (which is really as silly of a strategy as it sounds). I really only sent out about four good quality written applications, and received two interview invites. The other 6 I sent were all extremely last minute rushed applications.

My second application cycle I started really early on. In the summer of my second year, I had already come up with a list of 10 firms I was applying to and already started researching these firms and collating the information into documents. For firms whose VS applications I could expect to remain unchanged, I actually started drafting my applications. I also created a detailed summary (at around 200 words) of all my work experiences and really fine-tuned the descriptions of what I did so that they demonstrated transferrable skills. This made my job a lot easier for when I had to key in information into the applications. One huge difference for me when applying in my second year was my involvement with the Aspiring Solicitors Aspire Programme and the SEO London Corporate Law Programme. Applications for both typically open in July and the plethora of open days/networking opportunities I could access without having to apply separately, and the application review services (Note: only for their sponsor firms) was incredibly incredibly helpful.

2. Case studies/assessment centres: One of my feedback points post failed VS was that I lacked analytical skill in my case study. I really developed on this by practicing a lot of different types of case studies. My TCLA Premium subscription (and I'm not just saying this because I work with the team now :oops:) really helped me because of the detailed law firm profiles and advice on case studies on the premium section of the forum. I must have re-did the two sample case studies Jaysen created about 6/7 times that year, just to practice my writing style, structure and level of analysis. Jaysen's masterclasses on M&A (a super frequent topic of case studies) and private equity were also incredibly helpful.

3. Commercial awareness: I used to think commercial awareness was just being knowledgeable about socio-political and economic developments. Only in my final year did I realise it was much more about your way of thinking and analysing a news story. I think this is a mindset that is best developed by daily exposure to news stories. For me the biggest resources that helped me were the Financial Times Daily News Briefing podcast on Spotify and TCLA's Commercial Newsletter. The newsletter in particular (again not a sponsored post :oops:) is great because it does some of the thinking for you i.e already tying news stories to which teams/departments at law firms will see an uptick or reduction in work. Another good way of approaching commercial awareness is realising that partners rarely ever want to trip you up on purpose. Start with your application, did you mention interest in a particular industry, a particular deal, have you had work experience in other areas - what are the biggest issues affecting those areas? By the time I walked into my fourth interview in my final year, I was so used to the commercial questions being asked having to do with things on my app. Of course you can also expect more general questions on big issues, but that's where the resources I mentioned come into it!

4. Being myself - The realisation that firms want to hire people that are unique and have people skills and a great personality helped me loosen up. I started being able to make funny comments, have casual conversation with partners (see my earlier response in this thread on tangible ways you can do this) and just have a good time during my interviews. I think the reason I failed to convert my first VS is because the person I portrayed myself to be during the VS interview was probably the kind of person that firm wanted, and it is incredibly hard to fake something like that for three weeks on a vac. I just wasn't the right fit, I knew it and they knew it.

Last edited:

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Hi @Jacob Miller @Naomi U, @Dheepa

I am discussing how fast-track drug trials after Brexit will affect law firms. My current analysis includes that if pharmaceutical clients do more business in the UK due to the fast-track drug trials, this will create more work for law firms. In addition, with the UK framework for drug approval diverging from the EU, there will be more advisory work for law firms. Do you think these are strong points and would you have any suggestions for further analysis of the issue?

I would be really grateful for any help you can provide!
    Hi Callum,

Sounds like a very interesting topic! I can't claim to be an expert on this issue (indeed, you may actually find more expert input by creating/ joining discussion on our Commercial Awareness forum area); what I would tend to say, though, is that I always had three key discussion points for any case study I used at interviews etc. I focussed quite a lot on MNC taxation in the UK, etc, as I found it quite interesting and was extremely relevant at the time I was applying due to surrounding media attention. The key thing to remember when approaching these sorts of case studies is, in my opinion, to show a rounded analysis of risks and benefits to law firms surrounding the issue, as opposed to only taking one side of the argument. Best of luck!

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    @Jacob Miller @Naomi U @Dheepa
    Hey Guys! Firstly, Happy New Year to all of you and I hope you all are doing well. My question is around commercial awareness. Since there are so many resources out there, do you mind sharing your daily routine, as in, the resources that you used on a daily basis to keep up to date with the latest happenings.

Thanks.

Hi, great question!

Personally, it's part of my job to be commercially aware as my primary source of income is from trading the financial markets, so I use certain websites which overlap with a lot of macroeconomic stuff which is less important for commercial law. To that end, my 'personal routine' for this is probably less relevant too as I've got a need to consult data multiple times daily.

Personally, I would sign up to Finimize for daily emails, and download the BBC app on your phone, setting up notifications for certain categories of news. I would personally recommend reading the FT, even once a week on weekends, but this doesn't suit everyone because a) it's quite expensive and b) I'm unusually old-fashioned inasmuch as a physical newspaper is still appealing to me! Aside from that, you can set up google email alerts for certain searches (e.g., if you're wanting constant updates about a particular firm, you can set a google alert to get an email notification every time they come up in something new on google). This is a great way of keeping commercially aware, but there is definitely an art to getting the search constraints right: too broad and you'll get constant emails, too narrow and you might miss stuff that is still relevant.

Best of luck :)

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Dec 14, 2019
    Hi, great question!

Personally, it's part of my job to be commercially aware as my primary source of income is from trading the financial markets, so I use certain websites which overlap with a lot of macroeconomic stuff which is less important for commercial law. To that end, my 'personal routine' for this is probably less relevant too as I've got a need to consult data multiple times daily.

Personally, I would sign up to Finimize for daily emails, and download the BBC app on your phone, setting up notifications for certain categories of news. I would personally recommend reading the FT, even once a week on weekends, but this doesn't suit everyone because a) it's quite expensive and b) I'm unusually old-fashioned inasmuch as a physical newspaper is still appealing to me! Aside from that, you can set up google email alerts for certain searches (e.g., if you're wanting constant updates about a particular firm, you can set a google alert to get an email notification every time they come up in something new on google). This is a great way of keeping commercially aware, but there is definitely an art to getting the search constraints right: too broad and you'll get constant emails, too narrow and you might miss stuff that is still relevant.

Best of luck :)
    Thank you so much for your answer Jacob. Have a good day!

Reactions: Jacob Miller

Naomi U

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    Dec 8, 2019
    Hi @futuretraineesolicitor

Happy New Year to you also!

Everyone will have their approach to gaining commercial awareness that works best for them. For me, I took a very simple approach mainly via podcasts. My favourite was Wake Up to Money on BBC 5 Live Radio which I listened to every morning whilst getting ready or on my way to uni. I think this is a great way of keeping updated on a wide range of sectors, industries and markets. I also really enjoyed it as they often brought on guests which enabled me to begin to develop my own opinions. If I found anything particularly interesting, I would then look up articles and videos to gain a better understanding of it. I was also particularly interested in the consumer retail industry and so subscribed to a website called Retail Gazette, which again was great at providing interesting updates on a wide range of companies.

In addition to the above, I changed my homepage to BBC news which I think is a great idea as it means you are subconsciously updating yourself every time you go on your laptop even if your main intention was just to watch Netflix!

It's important to find a way to allow the act of improving your commercial awareness to become part of your daily routine. It should feel natural. Don't feel pressured to read expert articles or spend hours listening to something you have no interest in. I think that commercial fluency is just as important as commercial awareness because at the end of the day you want to be able to have a discussion with your interviewers. So don't see it as a memory game or a test of how much can you can know about XYZ.

I believe what helped me to do really well on the commercial awareness stages of interviews was the fact that I focused on a few industries I found most interesting and followed them. Some of the ones I remember following were the airline industry, consumer retail (traditional brick and mortar models vs clicks and bricks), and the hospitality industry (particularly delivery service companies) and the entertainment and media industries. You can also tailor these industries to those your chosen firm focuses on.

By doing this in addition to keeping aware on current affairs both nationally and internationally, I was not only able to tell my interviewers about deals I found most interesting, but I was also able to have detailed discussions about why.

I think this is what firms are looking for when they ask for commercial awareness.

Here are some links to the resources I mentioned:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0070lr5/episodes/downloads
    https://www.retailgazette.co.uk/

Another great podcast I discovered was the Commercial Awareness Podcast by Tapiwa Museba on Spotify.

I hope this helps!

Last edited:

Lauren

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Nov 16, 2018
    Hi,

I was wondering what is the best way to tackle the interview question 'where else have you applied and why'.

For example, firms with a strong disputes practice, such as HSF and CC, and pro bono offering were very important to me, but I am not sure how to flesh this answer out.

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Dec 14, 2019
    Hi @futuretraineesolicitor

Happy New Year to you also!

Everyone will have their approach to gaining commercial awareness that works best for them. For me, I took a very simple approach mainly via podcasts. My favourite was Wake Up to Money on BBC 5 Live Radio which I listened to every morning whilst getting ready or on my way to uni. I think this is a great way of keeping updated on a wide range of sectors, industries and markets. I also really enjoyed it as they often brought on guests which enabled me to begin to develop my own opinions. If I found anything particularly interesting, I would then look up articles and videos to gain a better understanding of it. I was also particularly interested in the consumer retail industry and so subscribed to a website called Retail Gazette, which again was great at providing interesting updates on a wide range of companies.

In addition to the above, I changed my homepage to BBC news which I think is a great idea as it means you are subconsciously updating yourself every time you go on your laptop even if your main intention was just to watch Netflix!

It's important to find a way to allow the act of improving your commercial awareness to become part of your daily routine. It should feel natural. Don't feel pressured to read expert articles or spend hours listening to something you have no interest in. I think that commercial fluency is just as important as commercial awareness because at the end of the day you want to be able to have a discussion with your interviewers. So don't see it as a memory game or a test of how much can you can know about XYZ.

I believe what helped me to do really well on the commercial awareness stages of interviews was the fact that I focused on a few industries I found most interesting and followed them. Some of the ones I remember following were the airline industry, consumer retail (traditional brick and mortar models vs clicks and bricks), and the hospitality industry (particularly delivery service companies) and the entertainment and media industries. You can also tailor these industries to those the firm you applying to focuses on.

By doing this in addition to keeping aware on current affairs both nationally and internationally, I was not only able to tell my interviewers about deals I found most interesting, but I was also able to have detailed discussions about why.

I think this is what firms are looking for when they ask for commercial awareness.

Here are some links to the resources I mentioned:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0070lr5/episodes/downloads
    https://www.retailgazette.co.uk/

Another great podcast I discovered was the Commercial Awareness Podcast by Tapiwa Museba on Spotify.

I hope this helps!
    I cannot thank you enough for an answer this detailed!

Reactions: Naomi U

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.