Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
What do you mean by a wider application? As in if there’s more to the application process than solely a cv?

In terms of evidence I just add the grades, work experience and personal achievements , I’ve not heard of using examples in cv’s so I assume I can’t add any. I just have brief bullet points about my work experience and voluntary work.

I guess the expanding on university skill is pointless as we all have the same?

Is there something specific I should be doing in my cv that I’m not already?

yes - if your CV is being submitted with anything else (online application questions or cover letter) a personal profile is completely redundant.

So you are putting work experience and education into competency format rather than in chronological order? If so, I think most recruiters would hate that as it’s impossible to work out quickly what order things have been done in. If it’s in addition of chronological order, it’s just unnecessary repetition.

I can’t really answer what you should be doing with your CV without seeing it.

S321

Star Member
Jan 28, 2020
yes - if your CV is being submitted with anything else (online application questions or cover letter) a personal profile is completely redundant.

So you are putting work experience and education into competency format rather than in chronological order? If so, I think most recruiters would hate that as it’s impossible to work out quickly what order things have been done in. If it’s in addition of chronological order, it’s just unnecessary repetition.

I can’t really answer what you should be doing with your CV without seeing it.

Would I be able to have you check this if possible?

Aurochschiette

Star Member
Feb 2, 2020
Hi Jessica,

Would you be able to speak to the value of interacting with a firm before applying for a VS?

Specifically, the value of:
- attending firm events, both on campus or open days
- participating in the firm's first-year scheme; and
- working as a campus ambassador for the firm.

As someone who has invested much time in building those relationships to varying degree with different firms, I would like to know whether my investment makes a tangible different. I know it's not like a marking rubric where x activity improves you chances by y%, but any insight you can provide will be useful (and hopefully validate my choices, haha).

Thank you

Aspiring.lawyer.to.be

Legendary Member
  • Nov 26, 2019
    Hi Jessica,

I wanted to ask about LPC grades. What if a student passes all their modules at 1st attempt with distinctions and commendations, but fails two modules - so they will only get a pass as the overall grade - do you think it’s still possible to get a training contract at a city firm?

Thank you

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    That's understandable. In terms of format and what to include are you able to recommend a couple of do's and don'ts? Or does it vary?

2 pages
    Education
    Work experience
    Extra curriculars
    Skill set

Reverse chronological order
    Never use the word I
    Keep it to short bullet points - most of your bullet points should be no longer than a line
    Your formatting to keep headings and spacing consistent
    Don’t squeeze in too much
    Make it easy to skim read and visually appealing
    Never use less than font size 10
    Make your name the clearest thing to read on the first place
    no need for references

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica,

Would you be able to speak to the value of interacting with a firm before applying for a VS?

Specifically, the value of:
    - attending firm events, both on campus or open days
    - participating in the firm's first-year scheme; and
    - working as a campus ambassador for the firm.

As someone who has invested much time in building those relationships to varying degree with different firms, I would like to know whether my investment makes a tangible different. I know it's not like a marking rubric where x activity improves you chances by y%, but any insight you can provide will be useful (and hopefully validate my choices, haha).

Thank you

this is down to the individual.

I’ve meet 10,000s of people at careers events or open days.

Not everyone makes themselves memorable
    Some who do, don’t do so for the right reasons
    Lots of people assume that’s their application sorted, and then submit poor quality applications
    Some people don’t really take anything from the event

These events are not for the recruiters, they are for you and to help you make good applications in the future. How much each individual attendee does to ensure they make the most of that opportunity varies massively

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Aurochschiette

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica,

I wanted to ask about LPC grades. What if a student passes all their modules at 1st attempt with distinctions and commendations, but fails two modules - so they will only get a pass as the overall grade - do you think it’s still possible to get a training contract at a city firm?

Thank you

Unlikely if the firm has a grade criteria for their own trainees. Many firms ask for their sponsored trainees to achieve a commendation or above, and in those cases they will apply it to external candidates too.

Any firm that stresses academic excellence should also probably be avoided.

But for both of the above, that is assuming there are no extenuating circumstances.

S321

Star Member
    Jan 28, 2020
    2 pages
    Education
    Work experience
    Extra curriculars
    Skill set

Reverse chronological order
    Never use the word I
    Keep it to short bullet points - most of your bullet points should be no longer than a line
    Your formatting to keep headings and spacing consistent
    Don’t squeeze in too much
    Make it easy to skim read and visually appealing
    Never use less than font size 10
    Make your name the clearest thing to read on the first place
    no need for references

Thank you for this, I really appreciate it. By skill set, do you mean placing teamwork/interpersonal/time management etc and in a few lines explaining them? And also, what constitutes a visually appealing cv? I feel like its hard to stand out

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thank you for this, I really appreciate it. By skill set, do you mean placing teamwork/interpersonal/time management etc and in a few lines explaining them? And also, what constitutes a visually appealing cv? I feel like its hard to stand out

no...

I mean things like factual skill set like languages, formal certificates etc

visually appealing = easy to read and easily signposted sections, not too crowded, not too long blocks of hard to skim read text

Aspiring.lawyer.to.be

Legendary Member
  • Nov 26, 2019
    Unlikely if the firm has a grade criteria for their own trainees. Many firms ask for their sponsored trainees to achieve a commendation or above, and in those cases they will apply it to external candidates too.

Any firm that stresses academic excellence should also probably be avoided.

But for both of the above, that is assuming there are no extenuating circumstances.

Thanks Jessica -

What if the student has strong mitigating circumstances ie. bereavement..

Would you say it’s still unlikely?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thanks Jessica -

What if the student has strong mitigating circumstances ie. bereavement..

Would you say it’s still unlikely?

You have extenuating circumstances, you need to explain that on the form. In these instances, recruiters look past your grades effected by the Ex Circs and focus on your other academics.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Any ideas on how would you answer a question about falling behind on a piece of work?

It isn’t a trick question.

Just choose an example where it has happened, but you successfully managed to deliver the piece of work anyway. Explain the steps you undertook to ensure that was done. Explain what you learnt from that experience.

S321

Star Member
    Jan 28, 2020
    no...

I mean things like factual skill set like languages, formal certificates etc

visually appealing = easy to read and easily signposted sections, not too crowded, not too long blocks of hard to skim read text
    Thanks:) I can understand Hindi near fluently and attended classes as a child however my ability to converse back is basic and my written skills are also basic to none as I don't practice anymore. Is it best to exclude this? As I'm not fluent in all aspects

Aurochschiette

Star Member
    Feb 2, 2020
    this is down to the individual.

These events are not for the recruiters, they are for you and to help you make good applications in the future. How much each individual attendee does to ensure they make the most of that opportunity varies massively

Thanks for the response.

Fair enough in that it is what you make of it, and that's something to take to heart.

If you are engaging on an open day, ask meaningful/honest questions, and show genuine interest, then does that get taken into account?

If you did a first year scheme or are campus ambassador and did a good job, is your name noted?

I know those things won't make up for bad academics, a poorly written app, or weak test scores. The question is, does it boost a candidate? Do candidates get tapped up, so to speak?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thanks:) I can understand Hindi near fluently and attended classes as a child however my ability to converse back is basic and my written skills are also basic to none as I don't practice anymore. Is it best to exclude this? As I'm not fluent in all aspects

you’d put it down as Hindi (spoken, fluent; written, basic).

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.