Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thanks for the response.

Fair enough in that it is what you make of it, and that's something to take to heart.

If you are engaging on an open day, ask meaningful/honest questions, and show genuine interest, then does that get taken into account?

If you did a first year scheme or are campus ambassador and did a good job, is your name noted?

I know those things won't make up for bad academics, a poorly written app, or weak test scores. The question is, does it boost a candidate? Do candidates get tapped up, so to speak?

possibly - but to be frank, it’s a fairly basic thing to be engaging and ask questions at a careers event.

Yes, if you impress and stand out, people will remember you either informally by just remembering you or by flagging your name up somewhere for when you do apply in the future.

You won't get "tapped up" though.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi!

What’s usually the conversion rate from VS to a TC?

Literally anything between 0 and 100%

Firms will typically hope for about 60-70% though once people have turned down offers. (that number will be much lower for firms that have very low intake numbers though).

Last edited:

Aurochschiette

Star Member
Feb 2, 2020
possibly - but to be frank, it’s a fairly basic thing to be engaging and ask questions at a careers event.

Yes, if you impress and stand out, people will remember you either informally by just remembering you or by flagging your name up somewhere for when you do apply in the future.

You won't get "tapped up" though.

That's a bit disappointing, though not unexpected.

On the flip side, I suppose it's a relief to know that unless you're a complete idiot, you won't be remembered for any small gaffes either.

Reactions: FutureCity

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019

On the flip side, I suppose it's a relief to know that unless you're a complete idiot, you won't be remembered for any small gaffes either.

I think it’s a bit unrealistic to think these things with give you an automatic advantage.

depends what you mean by “gaffes”

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thank you. Any place I can find statistics on this?

unlikely to find them. Firms have no interest in publishing them.

The Lawyer2B used to have some form of table that gave a ratio of TC places to VS places. Not sure if it’s up to date though and since you have to now sign in to everything there, I can’t find it anymore

tractor12

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Oct 6, 2019

I think it depends on the impression you leave. I had a really great conversation with someone at the Law Fair, we spoke about other things not just to do with the firm, and she told me to email her when I apply. I did and she said she would look out for my application. Obviously it still needed to be a great application with good academics etc, but definitely think it helped a little that she could put a face to the name that left some sort of impression

Reactions: Jessica Booker

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Haha, very true I suppose. Just selling myself some dreams to get through the app season.

I have met some fantastic people on campus and have actively kept in contact with them in the hope of recruiting them. But the thing is going to an open day or a careers event is nothing special - 100s of people do it each year for each firm. It’s all down to you, not the opportunity.

Reactions: Aurochschiette

Aurochschiette

Star Member
Feb 2, 2020
I have met some fantastic people on campus and have actively kept in contact with them in the hope of recruiting them. But the thing is going to an open day or a careers event is nothing special - 100s of people do it each year for each firm. It’s all down to you, not the opportunity.

That makes sense. I'm sure there isn't a formula, but I'm sure we would all appreciate it if you could share any tips. Thanks for entertaining this line of questioning Jessica!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
That makes sense. I'm sure there isn't a formula, but I'm sure we would all appreciate it if you could share any tips. Thanks for entertaining this line of questioning Jessica!

There aren't any tips for these type of things. If you are genuinely interested and a genuine person, that will shine through.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018

Attachments

• 59973218-EDE7-4AFA-B2C5-BA63A16BBCDF.jpeg
      59973218-EDE7-4AFA-B2C5-BA63A16BBCDF.jpeg
      385.8 KB · Views: 57
    • 19BD6914-3112-456B-A0F5-551B4D1C75E4.jpeg
      19BD6914-3112-456B-A0F5-551B4D1C75E4.jpeg
      404.4 KB · Views: 48
    • F9023DCF-F441-4806-A187-D6C86D2D4176.jpeg
      F9023DCF-F441-4806-A187-D6C86D2D4176.jpeg
      309.1 KB · Views: 42

Changes

Legendary Member
    Jan 7, 2020
    I think it depends on the impression you leave. I had a really great conversation with someone at the Law Fair, we spoke about other things not just to do with the firm, and she told me to email her when I apply. I did and she said she would look out for my application. Obviously it still needed to be a great application with good academics etc, but definitely think it helped a little that she could put a face to the name that left some sort of impression

I went to an open day at a firm and was contacted saying I’d made a good impression and to definitely apply. I didn’t get through the sift.

Pallatablelawyer

Legendary Member
    Jun 12, 2019
    What do you mean "through the sift" - you didn't make it through the application?
    I think that’s what he meant. I don’t know why that made me chuckle. I think that “you should apply “ thing is a very polite thing and never means anything. I hoped it would help me with my W&C application, especially after going for two of their events.. spending so much time with the application and getting one of their associates to help me look through it. I did not even get past the application stage. Yet there was a firm who I didn’t even know anyone before I applied, resent a cover letter because I thought the old one wasn’t great.. still invited me to an interview—although they rejected me post-interview. Sometimes these things are so hit and miss man. But when you spend the time to really get to know them it hurts even more.

tractor12

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Oct 6, 2019
    I think that’s what he meant. I don’t know why that made me chuckle. I think that “you should apply “ thing is a very polite thing and never means anything. I hoped it would help me with my W&C application, especially after going for two of their events.. spending so much time with the application and getting one of their associates to help me look through it. I did not even get past the application stage. Yet there was a firm who I didn’t even know anyone before I applied, resent a cover letter because I thought the old one wasn’t great.. still invited me to an interview—although they rejected me post-interview. Sometimes these things are so hit and miss man. But when you spend the time to really get to know them it hurts even more.
    Yeh I definitely agree - it's harder when you've put so much effort in and still get the rejection. For me, other than just being told to apply, I kept in contact with the recruiter, continued to ask relevant questions about the application and developed a relationship with them. Recruiters are people too so if you form a genuine connection with them, they will want you to do well, just like anyone else you might meet. When I told her I applied, she said she will process the application herself. Like I said I wouldn't have got accepted if my application hadn't been good enough, but when they are going through thousands of applications, it helps a little that they know who you are and have made a positive impression.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Not saying this happened in the above circumstances, but there’s loads of times I have really wanted to someone to apply because they have impressed me in person, and then their application form just doesn’t come anywhere near to meeting to standard required.

also open day’s/careers events sometimes have different recruitment processes in place to a VS/TC, and so often people don’t meet the more stringent processes.

Reactions: Ifmhouse4 and M777

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.