Ask A Graduate Recruiter Anything!

techny13

Oct 29, 2020
What I was trying to say was that they will have solid legal experience in the form of their vacation scheme by the time they start their TC (and probably even before they are offered a TC), so there wouldn’t be a “lack” of anything.
Thanks for the reply. I suppose my main concern was that if I apply for TCs this summer before completing my vac scheme, I won't have any tangible legal experience to put on TC applications.
With this in mind, would it be worth mentioning on TC applications that I have an incoming vac scheme at XYZ?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thanks for the reply. I suppose my main concern was that if I apply for TCs this summer before completing my vac scheme, I won't have any tangible legal experience to put on TC applications.
With this in mind, would it be worth mentioning on TC applications that I have an incoming vac scheme at XYZ?
Definitely mention incoming vacation schemes - Thais is very important!

I don’t think it’s an issue as long as your motivation is clear and evidenced.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
It is more of an organisation. They have this role which would involve assisting a team on a range of stuff including legal projects and HR.
Ahhh ok. That makes sense then.

Just think about what you think would be best to help you if you were to join an organisation. What would make starting at a new company less stressful, more engaging, and help you embed into the organisation well.

Reactions: Lily721

dollyparton

Nov 17, 2020
Hi @Jessica Booker
Thank you for all your help on this forum. I did not manage to secure any vacation schemes this cycle but now have two job offers for a legal assistant role and a paralegal role. I’m not sure which one would be better to strengthen my direct training contract applications in the future. Could I send you a message (with further details) for advice about which position I should choose?
Thanks so much in advance

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker
Thank you for all your help on this forum. I did not manage to secure any vacation schemes this cycle but now have two job offers for a legal assistant role and a paralegal role. I’m not sure which one would be better to strengthen my direct training contract applications in the future. Could I send you a message (with further details) for advice about which position I should choose?
Thanks so much in advance
Sure - I might not be much help though!

Reactions: dollyparton

xtinew

Distinguished Member
  • Mar 15, 2021
    Hi Jessica,
    To give some context, I have an application that was rejected for a VS but may still be considered for a TC.
    Don't know if this has been asked but is it appropriate to reach out to a graduate recruitment member of a firm on LinkedIn to ask about what more I can do to put my application in a better position? Thanks!

ChuPnl

Star Member
    Forum Winner
    Feb 9, 2021
    Hi Jessica,

I have a vacation scheme planned out with a firm but I also have been offered to apply for a paralegal position with them by their HR.
    Do you think this could impact my chances of getting offered a TC with them in a bad way?

I'm worried that they might backtrack from liking me in case they don't like my CV and cover-letter for the paralegal role, or if I get an interview for it and I don't do too well...

Thank you!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica,
    To give some context, I have an application that was rejected for a VS but may still be considered for a TC.
    Don't know if this has been asked but is it appropriate to reach out to a graduate recruitment member of a firm on LinkedIn to ask about what more I can do to put my application in a better position? Thanks!
    I wouldn’t do it via LinkedIn. You could ask via the firm’s grad rec email address though.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica,

I have a vacation scheme planned out with a firm but I also have been offered to apply for a paralegal position with them by their HR.
    Do you think this could impact my chances of getting offered a TC with them in a bad way?

I'm worried that they might backtrack from liking me in case they don't like my CV and cover-letter for the paralegal role, or if I get an interview for it and I don't do too well...

Thank you!
    If you were being really cynical, you could argue the same risk could be said for the vacation scheme, but you are still considering going ahead with that and not worrying in the same way.

Considering they have encouraged you to apply for a paralegal role as well, I’d personally take it as a massive positive in the fact they clearly want you to do well for both the vac scheme and the paralegal role. Unless you have other reasons to turn that offer down, doing so out of fear of not then being offered a TC is probably going to be more worrying from their perspective than not giving it your best go.

• 🤝
    Reactions: ChuPnl

ChuPnl

Star Member
    Forum Winner
    Feb 9, 2021
    If you were being really cynical, you could argue the same risk could be said for the vacation scheme, but you are still considering going ahead with that and not worrying in the same way.

Considering they have encouraged you to apply for a paralegal role as well, I’d personally take it as a massive positive in the fact they clearly want you to do well for both the vac scheme and the paralegal role. Unless you have other reasons to turn that offer down, doing so out of fear of not then being offered a TC is probably going to be more worrying from their perspective than not giving it your best go.
    Thank you for giving an objective perspective on this!

You are right, I didn't think about flipping it the other way and now I feel a bit dumb.

I have sent out an application already so hearing about your point of view makes me feel a little less nervous about it.
    I will definitely give my best for both the VS and the paralegal role and I'm hoping for the best.

Thank you again!

Reactions: Jessica Booker

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thank you for giving an objective perspective on this!

You are right, I didn't think about flipping it the other way and now I feel a bit dumb.

I have sent out an application already so hearing about your point of view makes me feel a little less nervous about it.
    I will definitely give my best for both the VS and the paralegal role and I'm hoping for the best.

Thank you again!
    Remember they want you to do well. They wouldn’t have offered this opportunity up to everyone, they clearly think you are well suited, so they clearly have seen a lot of positives already.

Good luck! 🤞🏼

• 🤝
    Reactions: ChuPnl

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Dec 14, 2019
    Hello, @Jessica Booker hope you are doing well. I'm quite confused about "Why law" even after having read so much on how to answer it. Is the question asking what bits of commercial law did I like and why was I interested in them, or is it about telling the interviewer a story right from what sparked my interest followed by all the steps that I took to deepen my understanding of what the role entailed?

Thank you.

Holly

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Nov 23, 2019
    Hello, @Jessica Booker hope you are doing well. I'm quite confused about "Why law" even after having read so much on how to answer it. Is the question asking what bits of commercial law did I like and why was I interested in them, or is it about telling the interviewer a story right from what sparked my interest followed by all the steps that I took to deepen my understanding of what the role entailed?

Thank you.

Hey! I’m not Jessica but I’ve found this confusing in the past so I wanted to help.

I’ve had a few interviews where I’m asked “why law” and I clarify by asking if they mean why I chose to do a law degree, why I would like to work in commercial law etc. In two interviews they clarified law degree and in two others they said both!

So if you are in this situation, I would ask the interviewer to clarify or rephrase and they will happily do so. You’ll want to do this so you are sure you are answering the question and I don’t think it’s a silly question to ask at all.

I hope that helps!

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Dec 14, 2019
    Hey! I’m not Jessica but I’ve found this confusing in the past so I wanted to help.

I’ve had a few interviews where I’m asked “why law” and I clarify by asking if they mean why I chose to do a law degree, why I would like to work in commercial law etc. In two interviews they clarified law degree and in two others they said both!

So if you are in this situation, I would ask the interviewer to clarify or rephrase and they will happily do so. You’ll want to do this so you are sure you are answering the question and I don’t think it’s a silly question to ask at all.

I hope that helps!
    Thank you so much for this answer, Holly!

• 🤝
    Reactions: Holly

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.