Ask A Graduate Recruiter Anything!

small_turtle

Feb 6, 2021
Hi @Jessica Booker , I hope you're well! I am a final year law student and am planning on applying for A&O's direct TC. I was unsuccessful for their A&O First Scheme and was rejected from their 2021 summer VS post-AC, but secured other VSs and a TC this year.

My question is whether it is worth applying to A&O again? I really like the firm but I am afraid that they will immediately/highly likely to reject me as I already did an AC.(my first ever AC) with them.

If I do apply, should I disclose that I did an AC with them, or should I just mention that I was unsuccessful for their Summer VS.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker , I hope you're well! I am a final year law student and am planning on applying for A&O's direct TC. I was unsuccessful for their A&O First Scheme and was rejected from their 2021 summer VS post-AC, but secured other VSs and a TC this year.

My question is whether it is worth applying to A&O again? I really like the firm but I am afraid that they will immediately/highly likely to reject me as I already did an AC.(my first ever AC) with them.

If I do apply, should I disclose that I did an AC with them, or should I just mention that I was unsuccessful for their Summer VS.
Did you get feedback on your AC? If so, do you feel you have evidence that shows you have worked on that feedback?

michal98

Feb 5, 2021
Hello @Jessica Booker !

I was unsuccessful for a firm's summer VS (after an interview) back in March. In the rejection email, they mentioned that I should let them know if I want to get feedback. I emailed them straightaway - no response. I emailed them a few months after knowing they have completed all the summer vac schemes - they said they would be very happy to provide me with feedback and asked about my availability, so I responded (end of July). They have not got back to me until now, although I emailed them two more times. Should I keep trying, or just give up?

It was my first big law interview and I would really love to receive feedback on what I did well, and what I should work on. Especially now, at the beginning of the new recruitment cycle.

Thank you!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hello @Jessica Booker !

I was unsuccessful for a firm's summer VS (after an interview) back in March. In the rejection email, they mentioned that I should let them know if I want to get feedback. I emailed them straightaway - no response. I emailed them a few months after knowing they have completed all the summer vac schemes - they said they would be very happy to provide me with feedback and asked about my availability, so I responded (end of July). They have not got back to me until now, although I emailed them two more times. Should I keep trying, or just give up?

It was my first big law interview and I would really love to receive feedback on what I did well, and what I should work on. Especially now, at the beginning of the new recruitment cycle.

Thank you!
I’d try again.

Reactions: michal98

m2001

Star Member
Junior Lawyer
Jan 24, 2021
Hi @Jessica Booker,

Could you advise me on how recent extra-curriculars/work experience that I mention on a personal statement/application for vacation schemes should be? I wanted to speak about a project I undertook in 6th form, however, this is now nearly 3 years ago and I feel may no longer be relevant?

Thank you :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker,

Could you advise me on how recent extra-curriculars/work experience that I mention on a personal statement/application for vacation schemes should be? I wanted to speak about a project I undertook in 6th form, however, this is now nearly 3 years ago and I feel may no longer be relevant?

Thank you :)
No time limit on work experience or extra curriculars. Just include what you feel is appropriate/relevant.

Dwight

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Dec 21, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker

I hope this message finds you well.

(1) How should I approach the following question: 'Please give details of any interests and extra-curricular activities, including any positions of responsibility or achievements'? I understand that I would need to talk about what I did in a specific role, but do I need to talk about the skills I learnt/developed? Just feels very robotic to be very descriptive, so I was wondering how I can make my answer more lively.

(2) When do firms interview candidates for winter schemes? Of course it differs but would appreciate a rough idea - have never applied to a winter scheme before.

Thank you.

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker

I hope this message finds you well.

(1) How should I approach the following question: 'Please give details of any interests and extra-curricular activities, including any positions of responsibility or achievements'? I understand that I would need to talk about what I did in a specific role, but do I need to talk about the skills I learnt/developed? Just feels very robotic to be very descriptive, so I was wondering how I can make my answer more lively.

(2) When do firms interview candidates for winter schemes? Of course it differs but would appreciate a rough idea - have never applied to a winter scheme before.

Thank you.
It’s not necessary to talk about the skills developed for a question like that - I’d personally focus on your impact in those activities.

Most likely late October to late November.

Reactions: Dwight

traineehopeful

Sep 16, 2021
Hi, I recently made a vacation scheme application. The firm asked for a big academic breakdown of everything I've done at uni, including individual yearly average %s and my final degree % + classification.

However, my university did not provide me with a final degree % so I had to calculate this myself. This is because my uni had massive delays in sending out our paper certificates + transcripts. My uni also doesn't explain how to calculate my final degree average, only my classification (ie what counts as a 2:2, a 2:1 etc). Intuitively, I calculated it myself by taking my average in penultimate year (66, rounded up from 65.6) and my average in final year (65, rounded up from 64.8). Then, I calculated the average (65.5) and rounded this up to 66. My uni is generally quite liberal with rounding up, especially when it comes to individual module marks, so I thought I should round up 65.5 to 66. Note my credits in year 2 and 3 are the same value, 120 credits per year.

However, I received my transcript today and the uni have calculated my average slightly differently - my final degree mark is now listed as 65%, not 66%. I am worried about this discrepancy and the issues it might cause. When would be the best time to tell the firm about my mistake, and that my average is actually 65 (not 66)?

Note I've just applied and haven't heard back yet- the firm's process is application > VI > AC > vac scheme offer.

There are no other discrepancies. My degree classification (2.1), module grades, names, dates, yearly averages etc are accurate. I just miscalculated my overall mark.

Many thanks for any advice you can provide.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi, I recently made a vacation scheme application. The firm asked for a big academic breakdown of everything I've done at uni, including individual yearly average %s and my final degree % + classification.

However, my university did not provide me with a final degree % so I had to calculate this myself. This is because my uni had massive delays in sending out our paper certificates + transcripts. My uni also doesn't explain how to calculate my final degree average, only my classification (ie what counts as a 2:2, a 2:1 etc). Intuitively, I calculated it myself by taking my average in penultimate year (66, rounded up from 65.6) and my average in final year (65, rounded up from 64.8). Then, I calculated the average (65.5) and rounded this up to 66. My uni is generally quite liberal with rounding up, especially when it comes to individual module marks, so I thought I should round up 65.5 to 66. Note my credits in year 2 and 3 are the same value, 120 credits per year.

However, I received my transcript today and the uni have calculated my average slightly differently - my final degree mark is now listed as 65%, not 66%. I am worried about this discrepancy and the issues it might cause. When would be the best time to tell the firm about my mistake, and that my average is actually 65 (not 66)?

Note I've just applied and haven't heard back yet- the firm's process is application > VI > AC > vac scheme offer.

There are no other discrepancies. My degree classification (2.1), module grades, names, dates, yearly averages etc are accurate. I just miscalculated my overall mark.

Many thanks for any advice you can provide.
This is all explainable - so nothing to worry about. I’d highlight it if you get to an interview stage where you have to meet someone for an assessment, and mention it ahead of the interview/AC.

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker, when I am asked to 'outline how I would do xyz' in an interview - would it be appropriate to use the STAR structure? Thank you
No - STAR is only appropriate for competency questions (questions that start with something like “tell me about a time you”), so it wouldn’t be appropriate for a forward looking question.

Reactions: Lawyerwithadream

syw

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • May 29, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker , Baker McKenzie is a firm i'm very interested in. I attended their open day last year for social mobility. Do you think it's worth applying again this year, but for say a different open day they do? e.g I think they do one related to women in law. I am conscious I may have to take half day holiday from work though, so if it wouldn't add anything to my application, I would prefer not to.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker , Baker McKenzie is a firm i'm very interested in. I attended their open day last year for social mobility. Do you think it's worth applying again this year, but for say a different open day they do? e.g I think they do one related to women in law. I am conscious I may have to take half day holiday from work though, so if it wouldn't add anything to my application, I would prefer not to.
    If you have already attended an open day, there isn't much reason to attend another unless you expect the programme to be very different (e.g. you will do very different activities/talks).

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.