Ask A Graduate Recruiter Anything!

M777

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jul 15, 2019
Hi Jessica,

I've recently done a 1st round interview for a spring vac scheme. When they called me to invite to interview early in December, they asked me to list the other firms I'm interviewing for and what stage I'm at (eg video interview, written exercise, AC, final stage etc). At the end of my first-round interview, they asked me the same question (which I did again, highlighting anything that changed). Then, they asked me to keep them updated with my interview schedule and if I get any more interviews.

I was invited to an AC with another firm today, taking place on 11th January. I'm just wondering what I should do about this. Should I take their request at face value and notify them of this AC? I don't want to come off like I'm presuming I'll get to the 2nd stage interview - it could well be that they reject me. I also don't want to come off as braggy. So I'm just wondering whether I should leave it as is and wait to hear back on whether my 1st round was successful first, or whether I should contact them now.

They said I'd hear back about any next steps in the new year. They said the reason they keep asking is because it makes them easier to schedule any future interviews, ie no clashes.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,

I've recently done a 1st round interview for a spring vac scheme. When they called me to invite to interview early in December, they asked me to list the other firms I'm interviewing for and what stage I'm at (eg video interview, written exercise, AC, final stage etc). At the end of my first-round interview, they asked me the same question (which I did again, highlighting anything that changed). Then, they asked me to keep them updated with my interview schedule and if I get any more interviews.

I was invited to an AC with another firm today, taking place on 11th January. I'm just wondering what I should do about this. Should I take their request at face value and notify them of this AC? I don't want to come off like I'm presuming I'll get to the 2nd stage interview - it could well be that they reject me. I also don't want to come off as braggy. So I'm just wondering whether I should leave it as is and wait to hear back on whether my 1st round was successful first, or whether I should contact them now.

They said I'd hear back about any next steps in the new year. They said the reason they keep asking is because it makes them easier to schedule any future interviews, ie no clashes.
I would only notify them if you receive an offer for the firm. The AC is only a week after everyone is back from the festive break anyway, so I think it is worthwhile only updating them if you get an offer.

I suspect the firm are being slightly disingenuous here - they aren't just asking for scheduling reasons, they are also asking so they can manage their pipeline of candidates well and not over/under offer interview spots.

Reactions: M777

M777

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jul 15, 2019
I would only notify them if you receive an offer for the firm. The AC is only a week after everyone is back from the festive break anyway, so I think it is worthwhile only updating them if you get an offer.

I suspect the firm are being slightly disingenuous here - they aren't just asking for scheduling reasons, they are also asking so they can manage their pipeline of candidates well and not over/under offer interview spots.
Thank you.

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Dec 14, 2019
Hello @Jessica Booker hope you are doing well. Could you please tell me, for the question "What other firms have you applied to?", should I also tell the firm that I've already been rejected by one of the firms that I've applied to? I cleared the WG and I moved to the review stage at CC but was rejected afterwards, so I have no clue why they rejected me as there could have been so many different reasons. Should I hide ths information from the firm that I'm going to be interviewing at (hypothetical) or do they absolutely deserve to know this ? I'm just trying to avoid the "Why do you think you got rejected?" question because I have no idea and there is actually no way to find out.

Thanks.

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Team
Junior Lawyer 11
Oct 12, 2021
Hello @Jessica Booker hope you are doing well. Could you please tell me, for the question "What other firms have you applied to?", should I also tell the firm that I've already been rejected by one of the firms that I've applied to? I cleared the WG and I moved to the review stage at CC but was rejected afterwards, so I have no clue why they rejected me as there could have been so many different reasons. Should I hide ths information from the firm that I'm going to be interviewing at (hypothetical) or do they absolutely deserve to know this ? I'm just trying to avoid the "Why do you think you got rejected?" question because I have no idea and there is actually no way to find out.

Thanks.
No reason to mention this

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019

Thanks.
Firms are more interested in knowing the similarities and differences in the firms you have applied to. It helps them work out how well aligned you are to them as a firm. They know that rejection is a massive part of the recruitment process, and just because one firm rejects you doesn't mean that you aren't right for them.

However, I don't think it is necessary to mention the negative unless explicitly asked. If you are asked what other firms you are applying to, it is much better to say "I have applied to X, Y, Z, as well as A & B. I chose these firms because of.......". If you are then asked about the status of your applications (you won't be asked why you have been rejected - you don't often even know why you have been rejected anyway and so cannot answer the question) you can then say something like "My applications for A and Y firms are still under consideration, and I recently completed a video interview for Z". This isn't focusing on any negatives, you are just stating the positive aspects of where your applications are up to. If you had been unsuccessful for X and B, you just don't mention them - you just focus on the positives of your remaining applications.

• 🏆
Reactions: futuretraineesolicitor

AK105

Esteemed Member
  • Mar 7, 2021
    Dear @Jessica Booker
    When making an application to a law firm, how do you talk about a deal without “name dropping” it. I’ve talked about my interest in the finance sector and how it stemmed from work experience and what I liked about it. And I talked about how joining that law firm would enable me to work on “market leading” deals in the finance sector like deal X. Is that enough or do I acc have to go into more detail.

Regards,
    Rijul

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Dec 14, 2019
    Firms are more interested in knowing the similarities and differences in the firms you have applied to. It helps them work out how well aligned you are to them as a firm. They know that rejection is a massive part of the recruitment process, and just because one firm rejects you doesn't mean that you aren't right for them.

However, I don't think it is necessary to mention the negative unless explicitly asked. If you are asked what other firms you are applying to, it is much better to say "I have applied to X, Y, Z, as well as A & B. I chose these firms because of.......". If you are then asked about the status of your applications (you won't be asked why you have been rejected - you don't often even know why you have been rejected anyway and so cannot answer the question) you can then say something like "My applications for A and Y firms are still under consideration, and I recently completed a video interview for Z". This isn't focusing on any negatives, you are just stating the positive aspects of where your applications are up to. If you had been unsuccessful for X and B, you just don't mention them - you just focus on the positives of your remaining applications.
    Hello, @Jessica Booker. Can they ever force someone to prove that they really did apply to these firms? I mean could they ask me to show my application portal? I think there are no chances of this happening but I just want to be sure. Not that I'm lying, but I'm just afraid of all this scrutiny to be honest. I know I'm overthinking and nobody has the time for this.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hello, @Jessica Booker. Can they ever force someone to prove that they really did apply to these firms? I mean could they ask me to show my application portal? I think there are no chances of this happening but I just want to be sure. Not that I'm lying, but I'm just afraid of all this scrutiny to be honest. I know I'm overthinking and nobody has the time for this.
    No - they can’t do this but there is no reason why they would even ask.

You have to look at this in a different light. This is not about scrutiny - this is just the firm ask you who else you have applied to so they can see what motivates you and whether they are the right firm for you.

Casual

Distinguished Member
    Premium Member
  • Nov 6, 2019
    I wouldn’t try to overthink these questions - what they are looking for isn’t anything hidden or purposely tricky.

The first is about what you think will drive you if you were to work at the firm, the second is about demonstrating your unique skill set, and the third is trying to see whether you can demonstrate your understanding of why diversity is important.

For the first question, you’ll need to analyse what motivates you on a day to day basis. Not everything is going to be amazing, interesting or successful, and you’ll need you own drive and motivation to get through difficult and stressful times, and so the firm wants to understand there will be enough driving you forward to succeed if you worked there.

Think of the second question as an elevator pitch. It’s your opportunity to sell you and your USPs as a candidate. Think about what the firm might value and try to align your strengths to that where you can (but don’t try to completely fit into what you think the firm wants - this is about selling your individuality).

The firm clearly values diversity and so wants to understand that you value it to by showing your knowledge of diversity matters. You’ll probably want to read up on the firm’s diversity strategies and think about why the firm has implemented them (eg what are the benefits to the firm).
    Merry Christmas @Jessica Booker !

Re TW's third question (Inclusion is at the heart of everything we do. Why is inclusion important to the success of Taylor Wessing?):
    While often mentioned together, diversity and inclusion are still different ideas as far as I understand. Would you still suggest bringing up diversity despite the question asking only about inclusion?

Hello @Jessica Booker, hope you're doing well! :)

I am in the process of applying for the Hogan Lovells Direct Training Contract, and I had a couple of question I was hoping you could help me with. As an international student based outside the UK, a few parts of the application form (primarily the academic results/details) aren't specifically catered to International students. I was a little confused as to how to approach this:

1. Regarding the "Performance at University" section - In this section the application portal states- "Provide all grades in percentage terms", and the section also reads "0-100" above the text box. Unlike the sections on pre-university education, this section does not have an open text box. Hence, this is the only place where I can include my university grades.

My University results are available in a 0-100 marking scale. However, in addition to the 0-100 marking, a GPA is also assigned accordingly. As the application portal states that the grade should be provided in a 0-100 format in percentage terms, should I not mention the GPA assigned anywhere? I would have preferred to mention both, however - there is no space in the University Results section to provide the grading scale explanation. I am a little apprehensive to mention the GPA along with the marks out of 100, since there is no place I can explain the grading scale, and I don't want to unnecessarily complicate stuff for Grad Rec (especially being an international student). As I do have the marks out of 100 for each module, would it be better if I mention solely the marks out of 100? (I have also attached a screenshot of the form, for your convenience)

2. Regarding the Pre-University academics - The Secondary Education section of the application portal includes an open text box for non-UK qualifications. The text box states "Please list your examination results by subject". While I have done this, I have also mentioned the grading scale explanation right after the results. Would that be okay? Further, the Post-16 Examination section also does not have any open text box to mention additional information, similar to the University Results section. I have just mentioned my examination marks out of 100 (as marked in the Indian equivalent of A levels). Does this seem alright?

So sorry for the multiple queries - the process is somewhat confusing as an international applicant. I would be very grateful for your help with this. Thank you so much!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-12-26 at 4.39.58 PM.png
      Screenshot 2021-12-26 at 4.39.58 PM.png
      114 KB · Views: 14

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi, hope you're well! @Jessica Booker
    I am starting a paralegal role at a magic circle firm in the new year and was wondering whether I should ask to update the work experience section on applications I've already submitted if at all possible?
    I personally wouldn’t update it as you haven’t been in the role yet, so you don’t really have a description to update them on.

You can update the firm if/when they invite you to the next stage by saying you have recently secured a paralegal role.

Casual

Distinguished Member
    Premium Member
  • Nov 6, 2019
    Hello @Jessica Booker.

Re Taylor Wessing's third question (Inclusion is at the heart of everything we do. Why is inclusion important to the success of Taylor Wessing?):
    While often mentioned together, diversity and inclusion are still different ideas as far as I understand. Would you still suggest bringing up diversity despite the question asking only about inclusion?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hello @Jessica Booker.

Re Taylor Wessing's third question (Inclusion is at the heart of everything we do. Why is inclusion important to the success of Taylor Wessing?):
    Personally, I would advise focusing on inclusion only unless you can link the diversity aspects to inclusion.

Reactions: Casual

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker for the work experience section of an application form would you suggest using bullet points rather than prose?
    Only if you can format the application with bullet points or if the firm explicitly tells you to write in bullet point format.

• If you cannot add bullet formatting (like I have done on this forum post), then you should stick to prose.

Reactions: Crystal86

as-above-so-below

Nov 30, 2021
    Hello, Jessica! I've read probably 100 pages of this thread and it's been of great help, however, I have a question regarding the structure of my personal statement. I feel like some of the points in the Why international commercial law? and Why me? sections repeat, even though they do not relay the same information - I have substatiated my interests with my academic (I have a LLM from Europe, which was very comprehensive, 6 years, 50 Modules, doing a conversion LLM now) and professional experience (I got to sit with a judge in Europe for a year so I got to try a lot of areas of law and know what I like doing and where my interests lie).

The Why me? section is a big problem overall as even as I am under the overall word limit, due to the volume of relevant things that I've done and the skills and challenges accumulated, it's very long. Do you think it's wise to condense for example my judicial experience in one paragraph and chunk in into the why commercial law section as I got to work on some commenrial/financial cases which I've mentioned.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hello, Jessica! I've read probably 100 pages of this thread and it's been of great help, however, I have a question regarding the structure of my personal statement. I feel like some of the points in the Why international commercial law? and Why me? sections repeat, even though they do not relay the same information - I have substatiated my interests with my academic (I have a LLM from Europe, which was very comprehensive, 6 years, 50 Modules, doing a conversion LLM now) and professional experience (I got to sit with a judge in Europe for a year so I got to try a lot of areas of law and know what I like doing and where my interests lie).

The Why me? section is a big problem overall as even as I am under the overall word limit, due to the volume of relevant things that I've done and the skills and challenges accumulated, it's very long. Do you think it's wise to condense for example my judicial experience in one paragraph and chunk in into the why commercial law section as I got to work on some commenrial/financial cases which I've mentioned.
    I would expect any firm that is using a personal statement approach will also have a work experience section. If that is the case, remember that you won’t need to reiterate detail from the work experience section. Instead you can just focus on what you enjoyed and how that translates across to the firm you are now applying to. So the “things you have done” probably doesn’t need to be as long/descriptive and you may find some ability to cut that content down if it is mentioned elsewhere.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.