Asking for a TC in a different office?

jsoobs

Nov 2, 2018
Hi all,

I've got a VS lined up this summer at a firm's Bristol office. When applying, I thought I wanted to be in Bristol but I have since changed my mind and would like to be in London. What do you think is the best way (in the event of me receiving a TC offer) of saying "I'd really like a TC with you, but in your London office"? Is this something I should bring up before I (hypothetically speaking) get a TC offer? any advice/anecdotes would be much appreciated!!

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi all,

I've got a VS lined up this summer at a firm's Bristol office. When applying, I thought I wanted to be in Bristol but I have since changed my mind and would like to be in London. What do you think is the best way (in the event of me receiving a TC offer) of saying "I'd really like a TC with you, but in your London office"? Is this something I should bring up before I (hypothetically speaking) get a TC offer? any advice/anecdotes would be much appreciated!!

This is tricky. Would you only like to work at the firm if it's in the London office or would you be happy to stick with Bristol if they say no?

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Thanks for getting back to me Jaysen!

I'm pretty set on London, so I'd most likely decline an offer if they weren't willing to allow the change.

In that case, I'd suggest telling them early. Ask them about your options for transferring over to a London vacation scheme or doing the Bristol vacation scheme and being considered for a London place. Just have a think about what you'll do if they say you can't.

If you've already made your decision, I can't really recommend telling them after your offer. While you will have more leverage, it may be the case that it's not possible to transfer candidates over, and you'd be using up a space for another candidate who may have wanted Bristol.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Helena

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.