Baker Mckenzie Interview

Nicole

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Feb 28, 2018
Baker Mckenzie Interview.

From a current trainee at Baker Mckenzie (vacation scheme application):

So the day consists of three exercises. The first is a group exercise which you will complete with three other candidates. Ironically my trains were delayed and I turned up soaking to this, five minutes late. However I had the belief that it couldn't get any worse which I think helped in my favour. As part of the task you had to recommend a few suggestions regarding this business expansion that was taking place. Across the table you had a few key bits of information about the business that would impact on the advice you give so its important to just consider these all in turn and then make suitable recommendations.

I was able to stand out quite easily because this exercise is timed and at the end one of my group members decided to go above and beyond what was requested instead of just providing the information the suggestion you had for the business.

I suggested we just finish slightly early instead of wasting our time so I think that went down well with Grad rec (who will supervise this task) so I think it best to not act like a sheep. You then have an interview with a senior associate - very basic competency so not much more to say on that. The partner interview - you are given a case study before hand which you need to examine and write down some key bits of information. they will have some classic signs of what they want to discuss - foreign jurisdiction elements, market shares/competition issues, employees they want to keep.

They will have some classic signs of what they want to discuss - foreign jurisdiction elements, market shares/competition issues, employees they want to keep, your standard case study which you present your findings back to the partners and then the expand on your points e.g. why is this a particular issue for this client or what other departments might be able to help with this. Have to say was one of my easier interviews - got nearly all the case study points straight away so not hard to spot.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    When was your Baker Mckenzie interview?

March 2018

What for?

Vacation scheme

Please describe the interview process at Baker Mckenzie.

The assessment day started with a group exercise. We introduced ourselves to one another. We were then split into small groups, each assigned with a task to present in front of everyone in the room. We were given a small whiteboard to write on. Then, I was given case study to read and later discuss with the interviewer.

Because I am studying law, I was assigned a case study that was more legal. Candidates with a non-law background were given different case studies. The case was on an airline company. The interviewer asked questions, but it felt more like a discussion rather than an interview in the sense that I was given time to answer but at the same time the interviewer would add on what I said and ask questions for specific statements that I made. This was with a partner. The interview with the associate felt a little more formal, as they were expecting specific answers to their questions.

What advice would you give to future applicants about the Baker Mckenzie interview?

It depends on what background one has, given that the case studies differ depending on whether you are a law or non-law candidate. However, all candidates should read a lot of news relating to corporate finance. It is important to also read the news posted on each firm’s website. They have specific news articles relating to that firm. This gives you an idea of how the firm operates. This will in turn help you during your interview with both the partner and associate. The more you read, the more examples you can bring forth during the interviews, which adds depth to your answers and shows your capacity and understanding of commercial law. For me, the group exercise was easy, given that I find it easy to get along with others and just roll with the flow. It is important to listen to others and be polite. Never interrupt. The challenging part was to read the case study, which I was given 20 minutes for, and think about what could potentially be emphasised on during the interview.

I think I would have been able to perform better during the interviews had I read more before. A broad understanding of corporare law allows for an easier assessment of a case study. You will much quicker understand what the general theme is and what potential challenges there may be for the fictional client. Candidates can expect the interviews to be relaxed. It is more a discussion than a strict interview. If you have knowledge and a genuine interest in the subject, it will shine through during these interviews.

Last edited:

bronson

Distinguished Member
    Nov 23, 2018
    Hi @Jaysen :) I have an AC coming up with Bakers next week and was wondering whether you had any more up to date reviews of the day since 2018?

I had an AC there this year so can give some insight. It was definitely the most tiring AC I've done so be prepared for a long day which consists of 4 parts:

1. Group Exercise - will most likely be reviewing something and having to come to a decision. If you aren't the leader type then don't forcefully try and take this role. Make sure you get your point across, even if it is a large group, don't be afraid to speak up but do not cut across someone to do so. Be commercial about it (mine wasn't a legal problem) and think logically about the situation. If there is an obvious but outlandish suggestion which you have then say it, particularly if others are skirting around it - I suggested to completely cut out a huge chunk of something in our situation. Be supportive as well - if someone has a good point make sure you clearly state you agree with it, and actively listen by incorporating other people's suggestions into yours. But also don't be a kiss ass and agree with everything everyone says - even though in the feedback I was told I was quite direct they said it worked well because everyone was just agreeing the whole time. However, if you do counter someone's point do it in a constructive and amicable manner.
    2. Competency interview - most likely with an associate. Very scripted competency questions. Quite a few as well so make sure you have a variety of experiences to draw upon. I think I also got asked why Baker McKenzie.
    3. Case study interview - most likely with two partners/ a partner and senior associate. Will be a legal case study and problem with 30-45 mins to prepare and then an hour and a half interview. One thing I lacked on (and would recommend not to) was really reading in deep detail the definitions and different elements of clauses. Also, try and imagine the problem through a commercial lense and how the legal elements might play out in reality. Show an interest in the area as well - we went a bit off-piste because I starting asking questions about the statute we were using which the partner got really excited about. And goes without saying make sure you are logically mapping out your thought process through words. Don't answer their questions with one word answers, or if you do, do it in a structured way so that Answer = X and this is because Y + Z. Imagine the partners are braindead and don't have a logical bone in their body - spell it out for them. Once that's over it'll move into motivations for Bakers, your history etc. they are big on their transactional international identity and their history behind this so weave that in somehow - and when I say this don't just go "you have offices in 60 countries and do cross-border work". Know why they've ended up that way, how they've used it to their advantage, and why this means something to you. Also be able to justify your other applications i.e. don't say that you've applied to Baker McKenzie, Bristows and Fox Williams, but rather keep the theme of international and top-tier.
    4. Document checking exercise - basic grammar, spell-check. Strike a balance between speed and accuracy, leaning ever so slightly towards accuracy. You won't finish so don't panic if you don't.
    And be consistent and friendly throughout the whole process. Some people tend to trail off towards the end or at certain parts, which when I got my outcome I was told was one of the main things they look at, consistency.

Hope this helps - good luck!

• 🏆
    Reactions: nina_123 and Jaysen

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    I had an AC there this year so can give some insight. It was definitely the most tiring AC I've done so be prepared for a long day which consists of 4 parts:

1. Group Exercise - will most likely be reviewing something and having to come to a decision. If you aren't the leader type then don't forcefully try and take this role. Make sure you get your point across, even if it is a large group, don't be afraid to speak up but do not cut across someone to do so. Be commercial about it (mine wasn't a legal problem) and think logically about the situation. If there is an obvious but outlandish suggestion which you have then say it, particularly if others are skirting around it - I suggested to completely cut out a huge chunk of something in our situation. Be supportive as well - if someone has a good point make sure you clearly state you agree with it, and actively listen by incorporating other people's suggestions into yours. But also don't be a kiss ass and agree with everything everyone says - even though in the feedback I was told I was quite direct they said it worked well because everyone was just agreeing the whole time. However, if you do counter someone's point do it in a constructive and amicable manner.
    2. Competency interview - most likely with an associate. Very scripted competency questions. Quite a few as well so make sure you have a variety of experiences to draw upon. I think I also got asked why Baker McKenzie.
    3. Case study interview - most likely with two partners/ a partner and senior associate. Will be a legal case study and problem with 30-45 mins to prepare and then an hour and a half interview. One thing I lacked on (and would recommend not to) was really reading in deep detail the definitions and different elements of clauses. Also, try and imagine the problem through a commercial lense and how the legal elements might play out in reality. Show an interest in the area as well - we went a bit off-piste because I starting asking questions about the statute we were using which the partner got really excited about. And goes without saying make sure you are logically mapping out your thought process through words. Don't answer their questions with one word answers, or if you do, do it in a structured way so that Answer = X and this is because Y + Z. Imagine the partners are braindead and don't have a logical bone in their body - spell it out for them. Once that's over it'll move into motivations for Bakers, your history etc. they are big on their transactional international identity and their history behind this so weave that in somehow - and when I say this don't just go "you have offices in 60 countries and do cross-border work". Know why they've ended up that way, how they've used it to their advantage, and why this means something to you. Also be able to justify your other applications i.e. don't say that you've applied to Baker McKenzie, Bristows and Fox Williams, but rather keep the theme of international and top-tier.
    4. Document checking exercise - basic grammar, spell-check. Strike a balance between speed and accuracy, leaning ever so slightly towards accuracy. You won't finish so don't panic if you don't.
    And be consistent and friendly throughout the whole process. Some people tend to trail off towards the end or at certain parts, which when I got my outcome I was told was one of the main things they look at, consistency.

Hope this helps - good luck!

Thank you for sharing!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.