Baker McKenzie

Changes

Legendary Member
Jan 7, 2020
I applied on the day before the deadline.

Not sure whether they progress most. Have seen some pre-test rejections though.

Yet to receive the link to test but they did say it would be a few days.

Tushar

Distinguished Member
Mar 18, 2020
Received the Watson Glaser invite! Although the website mentions that should your application meet our criteria, you will be invited to do a test, I believe it's unlikely that happens. Maybe they send it to all the applicants.

• 📥
Reactions: CallumJR

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Received the Watson Glaser invite! Although the website mentions that should your application meet our criteria, you will be invited to do a test, I believe it's unlikely that happens. Maybe they send it to all the applicants.
Congratulations on getting a test invite :)

If a firm says something like 'should your application meet our criteria, you will be invited to do a test', then the application will have met a certain standard upon review for a candidate to be invited.

Reactions: Daniel Boden

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019

they will screen quickly using basic eligibility criteria. If you meet that basic criteria, you will be invited to take the test - this is a very common approach to recruitment.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Does that mean that they dont read the application at that stage? I.e cover letter, answers to the questions

Possibly - depends on the firm’s approach.

some will screen on basic criteria, wait for people to take the test and then do a full screen

some will do a more thorough screen, and then invite those meet the benchmark across the whole application

thecorporatelawyer

Legendary Member
Apr 14, 2020
I applied on the day before the deadline.

Not sure whether they progress most. Have seen some pre-test rejections though.

Yet to receive the link to test but they did say it would be a few days.

Ahh I applied on the 30th and I have yet to receive any email on whether I've progressed to the next stage or not. Yikes I'm not sure if this just means i didn't meet the Criteria

Changes

Legendary Member
Jan 7, 2020
Ahh I applied on the 30th and I have yet to receive any email on whether I've progressed to the next stage or not. Yikes I'm not sure if this just means i didn't meet the Criteria

Did you have the academics?

I got the test link but the deadline to complete is the 21st and they’re saying they’ll email re: outcome for next stage by the 20th.

hopelesscaseofwhat

May 12, 2019
I received the WG invite last night, but I'm not sure if I should go buying practise tests just yet since there is some doubt regarding the application process? If only 40% of the candidates pass the application stage then how come I haven't come across a single PFO from Baker McKenzie on the internet this time around.

Moon

Star Member
Nov 6, 2019
I received the WG invite last night, but I'm not sure if I should go buying practise tests just yet since there is some doubt regarding the application process? If only 40% of the candidates pass the application stage then how come I haven't come across a single PFO from Baker McKenzie on the internet this time around.

Hi,

Buying a practice test is entirely up to you and whether you feel it would make a necessary contribution to your goal. I passed the Watson Glaser test by utilising a free Watson Glaser Test kindly linked to me. To answer your second question, just because you have not seen anyone post about their rejection doesn't mean they haven't been rejected. This point should not be a guiding factor for your future actions and should be dismissed.

Reactions: Changes

Changes

Legendary Member
Jan 7, 2020
Agree with the above. I found I was ok with them without buying any, just used free ones.

I have come across PFOs and people who haven’t been invited to WG that applied before I did. It’s tolling though so I’d do it sooner rather than later.

Reactions: Moon

TChopeful2021

Distinguished Member
Mar 21, 2020

I feel like WG mainly tests the way you think and process information, so getting the technique down is more important. Whilst practice definitely helps, there are enough free resources online for you to do that. Firms certainly won't be expecting all their candidates to pay for practice tests.

hopelesscaseofwhat

May 12, 2019
Hi,

Buying a practice test is entirely up to you and whether you feel it would make a necessary contribution to your goal. I passed the Watson Glaser test by utilising a free Watson Glaser Test kindly linked to me. To answer your second question, just because you have not seen anyone post about their rejection doesn't mean they haven't been rejected. This point should not be a guiding factor for your future actions and should be dismissed.

I feel like WG mainly tests the way you think and process information, so getting the technique down is more important. Whilst practice definitely helps, there are enough free resources online for you to do that. Firms certainly won't be expecting all their candidates to pay for practice tests.

Thanks for the advice guys! After reading your responses I doubt I will be buying practise tests. And you're right Moon, I shouldn't have expected to see rejections.
These forums definitely saved me a pretty penny :p

Agree with the above. I found I was ok with them without buying any, just used free ones.

I have come across PFOs and people who haven’t been invited to WG that applied before I did. It’s tolling though so I’d do it sooner rather than later.

I see, thanks for letting me know :)

Heaven

Standard Member
Nov 28, 2019
Hi,

Could you please tell me what free tests you have used to practice the WG? I got invited to do Bakers WG but I haven't passed the test before. Thanks in advance

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.