best path that an international student can choose to become a solicitor ??

tommaso

Oct 21, 2022
hello everyone ! i'm a fresh graduate in law in italy (bachelor degree)
I would love to start next year the path to become solicitor in uk. my goal is to build the best curriculum studiorum expendable in uk job market, and in line with my interests. Following this logic I would ask you:

1. it is better to attend a PDGL or an LLM conversion course (I know it is a different expense, but fortunately I have some money aside and a convention from my government). I’m interested to know: which law firms consider better between the two ?

2. I would then take a master’s in technology law or business law. can be useful to improve the curriculum, as a path of specialization ( a little like in Italy) or in the UK is considered superfluous ? It makes more sense to do it after the pdgl, right?

3. if I chose to do this master outside ( for example in Holland) to return, given the visa, I would necessarily need to enroll in a sq1 preparation course or do you think it is possible at that point to find a CT from outside ?

4. the Master taken abroad or, in general, a course of study also made of an 'experience abroad' (master) is well considered by law firms in uk, or do you think it is better to do it in uk ?

5. after the master, if I did not find the traning contract from abroad and to return I was forced to enroll in a course, ( visa ) is it better to support the sqe 1 and 2 preparation course or the LLM practical course ? or can I still get a visa to come back and look for a CT?

I apologize to everyone if the questions may seem irrelevant or silly. I come from a very different legal country and with a very different job market, and it would be really helpful to have the perspective of those who are already there and are doing / have done this path.
thank you very much to everyone

Last edited:

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
hello everyone ! i'm a fresh graduate in law in italy (bachelor degree)
I would love to start next year the path to become solicitor in uk. my goal is to build the best curriculum studiorum expendable in uk job market, and in line with my interests. Following this logic I would ask you:

1. it is better to attend a PDGL or an LLM conversion course (I know it is a different expense, but fortunately I have some money aside and a convention from my government). I’m interested to know: which law firms consider better between the two ?

2. I would then take a master’s in technology law or business law. can be useful to improve the curriculum, as a path of specialization ( a little like in Italy) or in the UK is considered superfluous ? It makes more sense to do it after the pdgl, right?

3. if I chose to do this master outside ( for example in Holland) to return, given the visa, I would necessarily need to enroll in a sq1 preparation course or do you think it is possible at that point to find a CT from outside ?

4. the Master taken abroad or, in general, a course of study also made of an 'experience abroad' (master) is well considered by law firms in uk, or do you think it is better to do it in uk ?

5. after the master, if I did not find the traning contract from abroad and to return I was forced to enroll in a course, ( visa ) is it better to support the sqe 1 and 2 preparation course or the LLM practical course ? or can I still get a visa to come back and look for a CT?

I apologize to everyone if the questions may seem irrelevant or silly. I come from a very different legal country and with a very different job market, and it would be really helpful to have the perspective of those who are already there and are doing / have done this path.
thank you very much to everyone
Hi @tommaso!

First off, what are you most inclined to do - does an LLM sound appealing to you or a conversion course?

The Graduate Route visa, where you can stay in the UK for up to 2 years after finishing an undergrad/postgrad course, should be available to you in either case.

I'm linking this fact sheet here with more information on the SQE so you can better understand when it's best for you to undertake it- https://sqe.sra.org.uk/about-sqe/what-is-the-sqe.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.