BPP or UoL Law Conversion Masters with or without SQE1

thelawnet

Sep 7, 2023
I have applied for the law conversion with masters at BPP and UoL for this September. (I might be overseas in the future, and I felt a 'masters' is more credible than a 'diploma', but maybe it doesn't matter really.)

For BPP the fees for this (in London) are £15,800, whereas at UoL it is £15,400 (also in London)

For the masters with SQE1 then the fees at either are £17,100.

I don't really know what I will be doing after this - I could become a solicitor, or possibly a barrister, but I suppose a solicitor is more likely.

BPP told me over the phone that I could switch to the SQE1 masters a couple of months down the line and pay the extra £1300.

I have not heard back from UoL yet.

I suppose at least in theory the SQE1 preparation doesn't need to cost anything, so perhaps it's not that valuable. Another point is the start dates of September and January for UoL, and Sep, Jan and May for BPP. With the SQE1 taking place in January and July, then taking BPP or UoL's SQE1 programmes starting in both September and January result in a January 2025 SQE1 date.

And maybe it's best not to commit to SQE1 in advance of finding possible training contracts anyway.

Any thoughts?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.