BPP Waterloo PGDL Start Date

Nicktim

Star Member
Jun 9, 2020
Has anyone heard anything about timetables, student cards and whether or not we are receiving books and study materials? Feel like we should have had more information than what we have been given since term is suppose to start in two weeks...

Hi,

I was told we would be given timetables during induction (first week). There is more info about the programme now on the BPP Hub which has the course handbook and some other introductory info. Doesn't say anything about timetables or schedules though.

Reactions: Alice G

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
I haven’t heard anything further beyond what you kindly said @Nicktim- I too have just heard about the Hub which came to my BPP email and everything there is more or less introductory stuff but nothing about textbooks, materials or timetable.

also just a further note is the Law Answered GDL core guide has been made available for this academic year. I purchased one this morning and I’ve heard they’re very useful so just adding here for anyone watching this thread :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Blue cacti

Tasha

Aug 17, 2020
Has anyone heard anything about timetables, student cards and whether or not we are receiving books and study materials? Feel like we should have had more information than what we have been given since term is suppose to start in two weeks...
I think we get timetables during induction- there's intros to the modules and the student handbook on the Hub. I've got a digital copy of my student card and regarding study materials they're all going to be online unless you have some sort of learning support that requires hard copies.

We have a Facebook group for everyone starting in September! https://www.facebook.com/groups/716960089173918/?ref=share

Reactions: todareistodo

lawlad

Nov 7, 2019
Hi guys, I have an offer to do the MA from Ulaw and BPP but I am yet to secure a training contract. I have been trying to get in contact with BPP to ask for a solid answer but from what I have read on this thread and other online resources, it looks like the Winter Exams will clash with the majority of winter vacation schemes. As this is one of the best opportunities to secure a training contract, it seems like I will have to choose ULaw instead. I was initially keen on BPP as its much (much) easier to get to from my home and means two hours less commute each day.

I don't really know what my question is but does anyone have any thoughts/advice in this and do you think this is a sensible decision?

JB10

Standard Member
Aug 27, 2020

Hi there! Glad to find this comment, in a similar boat. Also starting the PGDL on the 7th and have been worried. I've heard absolutely nothing about timetables/student cards- the only thing I do know is that all study materials are online this year (no books) because of Covid.

Have you been able to access the pre-reading? Nothing appearing on my VLE just yet so I'm a touch concerned

Nicktim

Star Member
Jun 9, 2020
Hi there! Glad to find this comment, in a similar boat. Also starting the PGDL on the 7th and have been worried. I've heard absolutely nothing about timetables/student cards- the only thing I do know is that all study materials are online this year (no books) because of Covid.

Have you been able to access the pre-reading? Nothing appearing on my VLE just yet so I'm a touch concerned

Hi,
The material for the PGDL is on the BPP hub, not on VLE. If you've been registered you should be able to access it on https://www.bpp.com/account

It appears everybody is in the same boat regarding timetables etc. I've asked BPP a few times and had no luck - they insist they won't be released until we start. First impressions have been pretty poor but trying to stay positive about the situation.

Blue cacti

Star Member
Future Trainee
Junior Lawyer
Mar 18, 2020

Besides what is on the Hub (basic introductions to the courses), I was told that there is no “pre-reading” as such. We should also get timetables in our induction week, along with our PA allocations.

I was also disappointed about the online materials (I prefer to study from hard copies). BPP have said that they have introduced this partly to get students ready for their careers - firms are increasingly using online materials and BPP are trying to get people ready for this transition :)

jan28

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
M&A Bootcamp
Sep 12, 2019
Hi guys, I have an offer to do the MA from Ulaw and BPP but I am yet to secure a training contract. I have been trying to get in contact with BPP to ask for a solid answer but from what I have read on this thread and other online resources, it looks like the Winter Exams will clash with the majority of winter vacation schemes. As this is one of the best opportunities to secure a training contract, it seems like I will have to choose ULaw instead. I was initially keen on BPP as its much (much) easier to get to from my home and means two hours less commute each day.

I don't really know what my question is but does anyone have any thoughts/advice in this and do you think this is a sensible decision?

hey, also in the exact position as you. I’ve asked them to move my application for the January intake so I can try and make applications between now and then. If I still don’t have a TC by January then I guess I will have no choice than to start then but at least I will have given a good shot at applying :)

also I was told Ulaw also has exams in January if you start in September so that could also still be tricky if you do winter schemes before exams!

JB10

Standard Member
Aug 27, 2020
Hi,
The material for the PGDL is on the BPP hub, not on VLE. If you've been registered you should be able to access it on https://www.bpp.com/account

It appears everybody is in the same boat regarding timetables etc. I've asked BPP a few times and had no luck - they insist they won't be released until we start. First impressions have been pretty poor but trying to stay positive about the situation.

Hi there! Thank you for the reply that's really helpful, glad to see everyone is in a similar boat. So if we start on the 7th, and timetables aren't released until then- do you have any idea how its going to work? A week of induction then actual classes starting on the 14th? Currently on hold to BPP as I cannot get access to the Hub

JB10

Standard Member
Aug 27, 2020
Besides what is on the Hub (basic introductions to the courses), I was told that there is no “pre-reading” as such. We should also get timetables in our induction week, along with our PA allocations.

I was also disappointed about the online materials (I prefer to study from hard copies). BPP have said that they have introduced this partly to get students ready for their careers - firms are increasingly using online materials and BPP are trying to get people ready for this transition :)

Hey there, thanks for letting me know! Agreed, shame about the hard copies- much better than staring at a screen for an even longer proportion of the day. At least there is a practical reason for it though I suppose

JB10

Standard Member
Aug 27, 2020

Hi there, sorry to message again- were you told for definite there was no pre-reading? Someone mentioned to me there was 70/80 pages on the English legal system?

JB10

Standard Member
Aug 27, 2020
Not besides what is on the Hub I believe. You could always ring and confirm what a friend of mine was told!

Okay thanks. I've phoned 3 times today, was just on a call for 30 minutes for the line to go dead haha. Unfortunately my Hub hasn't updated so I can't see anything at the minute. Thank you for your help!

Blue cacti

Star Member
Future Trainee
Junior Lawyer
Mar 18, 2020
Okay thanks. I've phoned 3 times today, was just on a call for 30 minutes for the line to go dead haha. Unfortunately my Hub hasn't updated so I can't see anything at the minute. Thank you for your help!
The attached screenshot of an email I received from BPP may help. I believe the Public Law induction reading is what you are referring to. This is on the Hub and seems to be the only substantive reading on there before induction week!

Attachments

• 4BF6F590-A1A9-47FA-BD15-1F285761D8FE.jpeg
    4BF6F590-A1A9-47FA-BD15-1F285761D8FE.jpeg
    291 KB · Views: 47

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Hey guys! Just to chip in I’ve been checking the Hub and I still haven’t got anything there other than the welcome pack materials (none of which are pre-reading). Has anyone actually got access to this public law reading or is it possible it might go live next week? I do have a notification in my hub now which wasn’t there before saying that materials will be coming in the next few days so I’m hoping this is all ok for now :)

Tasha

Aug 17, 2020
Hey guys! Just to chip in I’ve been checking the Hub and I still haven’t got anything there other than the welcome pack materials (none of which are pre-reading). Has anyone actually got access to this public law reading or is it possible it might go live next week? I do have a notification in my hub now which wasn’t there before saying that materials will be coming in the next few days so I’m hoping this is all ok for now :)
Hi Alice, I think the public law reading is in 4 workshops next week? I believe next week is when we get the pre-reading as those workshops are the English Legal System which I think used to be given out earlier

mrkennethtong

Standard Member
Aug 25, 2020

Hi,

Hi there! Thank you for the reply that's really helpful, glad to see everyone is in a similar boat. So if we start on the 7th, and timetables aren't released until then- do you have any idea how its going to work? A week of induction then actual classes starting on the 14th? Currently on hold to BPP as I cannot get access to the Hub

Not besides what is on the Hub I believe. You could always ring and confirm what a friend of mine was told!

All I have gotten is basically my Library Card.

I will give them a pass cause it is indeed COVID, but concerned and annoyed that I have not received anymore information. They should simply give us in this years PGDL a Blanket Email update.

Not ideal for us to have to individually search for answers, I will appeal to them.

Blue cacti

Star Member
Future Trainee
Junior Lawyer
Mar 18, 2020
Hi Alice, I think the public law reading is in 4 workshops next week? I believe next week is when we get the pre-reading as those workshops are the English Legal System which I think used to be given out earlier
The email I attached earlier makes it seem like we have materials to view before the Public Law workshops. To echo @Alice G, I think these materials are not on the Hub yet but will be in the next few days.

To avoid confusion, I simply meant the materials will be on the Hub, not that they already are. I have watched the intro videos under “My Learning” for each module so far and that’s it

Reactions: Alice G

Blue cacti

Star Member
Future Trainee
Junior Lawyer
Mar 18, 2020

Somebody I know was told there is no pre-reading, and then the email I received yesterday mentioned the Public Law reading.

I think people have heard different things from BPP so I’m just taking it every day as it comes at this point to avoid deliberating!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.