Debevoise & Plimpton Open Day/Interview

Selina

Star Member
Oct 1, 2018
Hi all!

Does anyone have any experience with a Debevoise Open Day/AC, especially the interview component? I can't seem to find much about the assessment process online and the website/Grad Rec are strangely under the radar as well.

This what the email containing my invitation says:

"The session will start with a brief introduction to the firm, after which you will spend approximately one hour or so with one of our trainees or lawyers. During this time you will be given a tour of the office and have the opportunity to ask any questions that you may have. We will then reconvene for lunch. In the afternoon session, you will be provided with an Article to review for 45 minutes. Following on from this, you will have a short interview with one or two of our Associates or Partners."

E.g. Is the interview based purely on the article, or can I expect more of a general chat about my motivations alongside competency- or strength-based questions as well? Does the assessment process also comprise of a written exercise to go along with the article? Etc.

Any information at all would be very helpful! Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:
  • 🏆
Reactions: Dolores

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi all!

Does anyone have any experience with a Debevoise Open Day/AC, especially the interview component? I can't seem to find much about the assessment process online and the website/Grad Rec are strangely under the radar as well.

This what the email containing my invitation says:

"The session will start with a brief introduction to the firm, after which you will spend approximately one hour or so with one of our trainees or lawyers. During this time you will be given a tour of the office and have the opportunity to ask any questions that you may have. We will then reconvene for lunch. In the afternoon session, you will be provided with an Article to review for 45 minutes. Following on from this, you will have a short interview with one or two of our Associates or Partners."

E.g. Is the interview based purely on the article, or can I expect more of a general chat about my motivations alongside competency- or strength-based questions as well? Does the assessment process also comprise of a written exercise to go along with the article? Etc.

Any information would be very helpful!

I asked a future trainee at Debevoise about this. He said the Debevoise AC is very different from the standard AC and a lot less formal. The impression he had was that there was more emphasis placed on personality at Debevoise than other firms.

In terms of whether the interview is based on the article, he said it really depends on the interviewer. For example, his interviewer was very casual with just two general questions on the article - something like "what did you think of this article?" and "what do you think of X?". His interviewers then moved on to other questions which were more aimed at his personality, for example "why solicitor/not barrister?" and "what do you do in your spare time?".

However, he did say he heard from others that their interview was far more commercial.

• 🏆
    Reactions: Selina and Dolores

Selina

Star Member
    Oct 1, 2018
    Thanks so much Jaysen, that's great!

Sounds like it varies depending on the interviewer. The style seems quite similar to other US law firms though which place more emphasis on individual personality. Looks like I've got my work cut out for me!

Reactions: Jaysen and Dolores

Christelle

Feb 12, 2020
    Hi Selina!
    Wondering if you've attended the open day and how it went :) Just got an invite to an open day for next week and not sure what it's going to be like. Would really appreciate any details of your experience if you've done it!

Niha

Dec 6, 2022
    Hi Selina and Christelle,
    How was the open day? I have been invited to attend one as well this month. Would really appreciate any details of your experience if you are willing to share.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.