axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Hi all,

I am aware that most direct TC applications will require previous vacation scheme experience. I've recently done a mini pupillage, is this considered equivalent to a vacation scheme?

Thanks!
Hey @Lulu95049,

I think that although this will be evaluated positively, it is still not enough experience to be successful to a direct TC application, in my opinion anyway. I heard many graduate recruitment personnel recommending direct TC to someone who worked as a paralegal for years or worked in a sector such as business, banking or corporate environment for years.

Occasionally, they do take students but it is very rare and having a vacation scheme experience is extremely helpful to understand the experience of working in a law firm.

I guess that you can definitely leverage your experience, especially if you highlight how that experience can be useful to you in seats such as litigation/disputes!

Having said that, I think that you should apply to different vacation schemes, and on the side, a couple, not more than that, of direct TC, if you do not have substantial work experience as a paralegal.

I hope that helps and good luck!

Reactions: Lulu95049

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi all,

I am aware that most direct TC applications will require previous vacation scheme experience. I've recently done a mini pupillage, is this considered equivalent to a vacation scheme?

Thanks!
It is “equivalent” to a vacation scheme but will need to be supplemented by evidence of you pursuing a career as a solicitor over a barrister, and will need a strong “why commercial solicitor” answer too.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.