Dropping out of the lpc for the SQE?

JDC

• Sep 12, 2023
    Hi everyone:)

I graduated this summer 2023, with a first class law degree but failed to get a training contract for the 24/25 cycle.
    I recently started the LPC at a Russel group university and I'm panicking. I chose this route firstly for the connections the uni provides
    but also preferring the examination methods of the lpc. I'd heard the SQE horror story rumors and was put off.

I'm a week in and I think I've made the wrong choice. Firms recruiting 2 years in advance want the SQE and even after completing the lpc
    I'll have to do SQE2, which is more debt on top of the paralyzing amount the LPC has cost me.

Sorry if this feels like I'm ranting but I cannot get a straight answer out of anyone. Employers say one thing, Uni and my friends and family say another.
    Uni says the LPC is tried and tested and the rest of it but it seems the LPC at this point is just debt for the sake of it.

I think I'm better off paralleling, while applying for TCs this cycle and then doing the sqe either part time or full time

Any perspectives would be welcome

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi everyone:)

I graduated this summer 2023, with a first class law degree but failed to get a training contract for the 24/25 cycle.
    I recently started the LPC at a Russel group university and I'm panicking. I chose this route firstly for the connections the uni provides
    but also preferring the examination methods of the lpc. I'd heard the SQE horror story rumors and was put off.

I'm a week in and I think I've made the wrong choice. Firms recruiting 2 years in advance want the SQE and even after completing the lpc
    I'll have to do SQE2, which is more debt on top of the paralyzing amount the LPC has cost me.

Sorry if this feels like I'm ranting but I cannot get a straight answer out of anyone. Employers say one thing, Uni and my friends and family say another.
    Uni says the LPC is tried and tested and the rest of it but it seems the LPC at this point is just debt for the sake of it.

I think I'm better off paralleling, while applying for TCs this cycle and then doing the sqe either part time or full time

Any perspectives would be welcome
    The first question to check is whether you’d be liable for all of your LPC fees even if you did withdraw from the course.

Reactions: InvesmentBanker

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.