Experience Examples

Lumree

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Highest Rated Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019
    Hi all,

Probably a bit of a silly question but what would you say the rules are regarding using examples from other firms/work experience for future applications at other firms?

As an example, would you say it is appropriate to say at 'X firm I worked on a case that involved X legal issues?' Is it acceptable to use such examples provided you don't disclose sensitive information, such as the client's name (obviously) but do discuss what the legal issues were?

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi all,

Probably a bit of a silly question but what would you say the rules are regarding using examples from other firms/work experience for future applications at other firms?

As an example, would you say it is appropriate to say at 'X firm I worked on a case that involved X legal issues?' Is it acceptable to use such examples provided you don't disclose sensitive information, such as the client's name (obviously) but do discuss what the legal issues were?

Yes it's absolutely fine to do that!

Reactions: Lumree

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi all,

Fine to use but try to be more specific and less wordy.

r14n

Jan 30, 2019
    Hi all,

That is fine, but as Jessica said go straight into the details of what you have done, what you have gained from said experience and how you plan on using those skills your academics/career. I would say refrain from telling a step-by-step procedure of what happened and only discuss your role.

More importantly try and link back to the firm you are applying to through skills and experience gained which can be helpful to this firm too. You do not want to isolate one firm over the other unintentionally. :)

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.