A-level Grades

average_jo123

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 11, 2021
Was wondering how much firms emphasis place on minimum A-level grade requirements?

1. For example, if I want to apply to A&O which has a minimum A-level requirement of AAB but I have not achieved that and have no extenuating circumstances, will my application automatically get filtered out?
  2. I'm assuming that for firms which specifically say that there are no minimum A-level requirements, they will review your application regardless of what A-levels you achieved. But what about firms which do not disclose any position on minimum A-level requirements - what is the general expectation?
  3. Does Rare contextual recruitment data feed into minimum A-level requirements at all? Or is that data mainly only used to distinguish between two candidates in marginal cases rather than letting candidates with A-level grades which fall below the minimum squeeze past into application review stage?
  4. If I don't have very strong A-levels e.g. have Cs but don't have any extenuating circumstances, does that mean I am automatically at a disadvantage when applying for vac schemes or training contracts? Or are there still other ways to get around this?
  5. Is there any set industry standard that all City firms would generally expect re A-level grades or does it really just vary from firm to firm?
@Jessica Booker if you could offer some insight it would be really helpful.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Was wondering how much firms emphasis place on minimum A-level grade requirements?

1. For example, if I want to apply to A&O which has a minimum A-level requirement of AAB but I have not achieved that and have no extenuating circumstances, will my application automatically get filtered out?
  2. I'm assuming that for firms which specifically say that there are no minimum A-level requirements, they will review your application regardless of what A-levels you achieved. But what about firms which do not disclose any position on minimum A-level requirements - what is the general expectation?
  3. Does Rare contextual recruitment data feed into minimum A-level requirements at all? Or is that data mainly only used to distinguish between two candidates in marginal cases rather than letting candidates with A-level grades which fall below the minimum squeeze past into application review stage?
  4. If I don't have very strong A-levels e.g. have Cs but don't have any extenuating circumstances, does that mean I am automatically at a disadvantage when applying for vac schemes or training contracts? Or are there still other ways to get around this?
  5. Is there any set industry standard that all City firms would generally expect re A-level grades or does it really just vary from firm to firm?
@Jessica Booker if you could offer some insight it would be really helpful.
1) I would expect most likely unless they use a contextualised recruitment process and your background is one where you would be flagged by the system (eg you went to an underperforming school).

2)I would expect any firm that confirms they don’t have a requirement or do not disclose anything to review your application anyway.

3) Yes - see my above comment.

4) only for the firms with a minimum criteria.

5) massively varies from firm to firm.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.