Feeling a bit discouraged

lawyerinzootopia

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Apr 12, 2023
Hi guys,

Just a bit of a self-pitying mind dump lol.

I got pretty mediocre A-Level results, BBD, and I'm worried that these will hinder me with applications. It is a dream, of course, to work at a magic circle firm but are these grades going to prevent me from getting TC offers? Additionally, I want to get as much experience and build up a strong application so that I can have a chance, but I don't know where to even start or what I should do that would make me a well-rounded candidate. Even open days have questions that require substance (obviously), but I don't feel qualified enough to apply to them. Don't really know what to do or where to start.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi guys,

Just a bit of a self-pitying mind dump lol.

I got pretty mediocre A-Level results, BBD, and I'm worried that these will hinder me with applications. It is a dream, of course, to work at a magic circle firm but are these grades going to prevent me from getting TC offers? Additionally, I want to get as much experience and build up a strong application so that I can have a chance, but I don't know where to even start or what I should do that would make me a well-rounded candidate. Even open days have questions that require substance (obviously), but I don't feel qualified enough to apply to them. Don't really know what to do or where to start.
what stage of your academics are you at?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Currently in my final year of an English Lit undergrad (non-RG uni)! My first year overall grade was a low 2:1, second year grade was a mid 2:1
It sounds like you are at an early stage of pursuing this career. Give yourself time to learn, there is ultimately no rush to achieve your goal and you have plenty of time to learn about the recruitment process and develop your experience.

You have come to the right place though - our community will be really helpful in guiding you in key aspects to learn and direct you to opportunities to develop your skills.

lawyerinzootopia

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Apr 12, 2023
It sounds like you are at an early stage of pursuing this career. Give yourself time to learn, there is ultimately no rush to achieve your goal and you have plenty of time to learn about the recruitment process and develop your experience.

You have come to the right place though - our community will be really helpful in guiding you in key aspects to learn and direct you to opportunities to develop your skills.
Thank you, Jessica!

I guess it feels a bit overwhelming sometimes, especially when it feels like everyone is getting ahead while you are stuck in the same place. But I will absolutely work hard to learn the recruitment process and develop my experience!! :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thank you, Jessica!

I guess it feels a bit overwhelming sometimes, especially when it feels like everyone is getting ahead while you are stuck in the same place. But I will absolutely work hard to learn the recruitment process and develop my experience!! :)
I would stress I talk to most people through TCLA who feel like you do. It is very normal!

The process can seem daunting but that is why we are here to help and to provide you with support.

There are plenty of firms (including MC firms) who have no A-level criteria and I have recruited enough people who have similar (or technically worse) A-level grades than you have, so do persevere with the learning journey - it will be worth it if it’s something you truly want to go for.

Reactions: lawyerinzootopia

lawyerinzootopia

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Apr 12, 2023
I would stress I talk to most people through TCLA who feel like you do. It is very normal!

The process can seem daunting but that is why we are here to help and to provide you with support.

There are plenty of firms (including MC firms) who have no A-level criteria and I have recruited enough people who have similar (or technically worse) A-level grades than you have, so do persevere with the learning journey - it will be worth it if it’s something you truly want to go for.
Thank you so much for the reassuring words!!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.