Extremely bad A-level results and non RG university

Siim

Aug 20, 2023
I don't know where to start, this is my first time using this website so I'm not sure if I am posting this correctly. I am 19 years old and my A-level results are BCD in Biology, Chemistry and Maths. I was pressured into STEM A-levels even though I am way better at the humanities, I really enjoy reading, writing (I have a fanfiction on ao3 with over a million reads), analysing texts, classics etc.

I am really interested in studying Law and becoming a lawyer in the future in London, it's a dream. However, because of my A-level grades I got offered a place at a non Russel group university, it's not too bad It's Keele university. But after doing research I highly doubt I can become a solicitor or get a training offer, because of my Uni and grades, do I have a small chance?

How hard is it to get a 1st in a law degree? Maybe after getting a 1st at Keele University I can do a masters at a high ranking Russel group university where A-levels won't be considered post graduate? Would that be a possibility? Or should I do completely different A-levels whilst at University? I'm just really confused at the moment. Please can I have some advice on what to do? Thank you for reading.

Reactions: Darren Bruce-Tagoe

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Your route to law is very possible - I have seen people do it from non RG unis and with similar A-level grades to yourself.

I would advise against doing A-levels and your degree at the same time though - realistically to do well in either you really need to focus on one or the other and there is a high risk of not doing either as well as you want to, and that is a wasted year and a lot of money.

So my general advice is if you are going to resit your A-levels, take a gap year and then go to uni.

But resitting A-levels is not always going to solve issues. Many firms will want you to either declare these were resits or will only consider your first attempt grades. It is slightly different if you sit all of your A-levels again in the same year, but generally trying to improve one subject will not be seen as being as complex/difficult as sitting three or more A-levels together. Lots of firms these days do not have minimum A-level criteria too though - you may initially want to focus your efforts with them and also with local firms with offices near Keele uni.

Whatever your decision though, your route to law may just take a little longer than some others - but given the average age of a trainee solicitor as 28, that is not uncommon anyway. You may find you have to go on to postgraduate qualifications (like you have suggested) or may need to self fund the PGDL/SQE to put yourself in a stronger position. Alternatively, you may find you have to paralegal for a few years before converting to a training contract. But it’s all possible if you are persistent and determined for the career.

Reactions: Darren Bruce-Tagoe

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.