Feeling like I'm 'past it'/waning enthusiasm

cgs97

Star Member
Mar 15, 2020
I completed the GDL this summer, I had one vac scheme this summer which I didn't manage to convert into a TC. I've been working full-time since August in a job that I really don't like, but I'm about to start another non-legal role, one that's a bit more of a career than a job, in January. I did some winter vac scheme applications but had no luck, and I'm struggling to motivate myself to do them for upcoming deadlines. One reason why I've struggled is fitting it in with my full-time job, especially as it mentally and physically drains me (probably made worse by the fact that I can't stand it!), and weekends and evenings off have been my lifeline, especially during covid. I can't help but think of all the time and energy I've put in so far for basically nothing, and how much I'll have to continue to put in for likely the same outcome, not to mention having to take precious days off work early on in my new job if I do get through to ACs etc. I really feel like I've been at a disadvantage as a graduate who works full time, and as I get further away from university, I feel like I'm less and less attractive to firms. Some of the questions seem more geared towards university experiences, yet I don't want to be relying on experiences from 2017/2018 for my applications. I feel like I've mentally checked out of the whole process, which makes me feel like such a failure and like I've wasted a hell of a lot of time and money. Does anyone else feel the same? Has anyone felt like this and managed to bounce back?

Legal_rawn

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Dec 21, 2019
I feel the exact same! I had a VS which didn't become a TC this year too. I'm probably going to be starting a non-legal job in September in banking which is not what I had hoped I'd be doing. I am mainly applying to direct TC positions this year as I have done a VS and I am hoping that leads me somewhere, although it is not looking good. On this forum you will be able to find many stories of people who felt this way but kept going and have ended up where they wanted to be. Unfortunately it is just a horrible draining process but you can keep applying when you begin your job! I hope it all works out for you and that where ever you end up that it makes you happy!

• 🤝
Reactions: Alice G and Jaysen

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
I completed the GDL this summer, I had one vac scheme this summer which I didn't manage to convert into a TC. I've been working full-time since August in a job that I really don't like, but I'm about to start another non-legal role, one that's a bit more of a career than a job, in January. I did some winter vac scheme applications but had no luck, and I'm struggling to motivate myself to do them for upcoming deadlines. One reason why I've struggled is fitting it in with my full-time job, especially as it mentally and physically drains me (probably made worse by the fact that I can't stand it!), and weekends and evenings off have been my lifeline, especially during covid. I can't help but think of all the time and energy I've put in so far for basically nothing, and how much I'll have to continue to put in for likely the same outcome, not to mention having to take precious days off work early on in my new job if I do get through to ACs etc. I really feel like I've been at a disadvantage as a graduate who works full time, and as I get further away from university, I feel like I'm less and less attractive to firms. Some of the questions seem more geared towards university experiences, yet I don't want to be relying on experiences from 2017/2018 for my applications. I feel like I've mentally checked out of the whole process, which makes me feel like such a failure and like I've wasted a hell of a lot of time and money. Does anyone else feel the same? Has anyone felt like this and managed to bounce back?
Hi there,

firstly I’m sorry you feel like this but I applaud your honesty- I think it’d be hard to find someone who’s not felt this way at some time.

I also want to preface all this by saying nothing is a waste as I’m sure you learned more about yourself and developed skills from all the applications and experiences which you may not appreciate consciously.

I worked and applied by my work was very flexible which is a huge privilege so I don’t think it’s fair for me to necessarily weigh in on how overwhelming it must be but I can sympathise. My first piece of advice would be to try and find something which is flexible for those who are making applications as this helped me hugely but I appreciate this isn’t always possible or easy.

I have definitely felt like I wasn’t getting anywhere at times though and all I can advise you is to do as I did and make just a few apps but make sure they are absolutely perfect. I only didn’t get past the app stage around 3 times because I made fewer apps but made sure those I submitted were as good as I could make them.

I used lots of work experience examples and nothing from uni so try to appraise what you have done in your work and see how they might fare for answering competency questions. I actually think this is where grads (I was a grad of 18 months before looking at law) have an advantage- we can often give better examples owing to real life work experience.

if you want to chat anything through or ask me any specific questions I’m more than happy to but one thing I will end on is, you have to be in it to win it. Why not take a week or two to just take care of yourself and recuperate after what’s been a very very hard year and maybe see how you feel after a bit of time away from everything.

Wishing you well and I hope this helps you in some way :)

Veep9

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • Sep 8, 2020
    Oh, I identify with this so much!

I've been lucky that covid and WFH has made my work more flexible (or, rather, I just work flexi hours when I want to attend events and open days because, while we aren't in the office, my boss doesn't care as long as the work gets done). But I've felt exactly as you describe for the last two years.

Not to diss students applying for TC, but I sometimes feel like my life experiences can help me add so much to the firm. But I too struggle with using those experiences to fit into typical questions. Awards and prizes were 10+ years ago; extracurriculars and societies feel like a distant memory. I think I only have it in me to try this year. Otherwise I'm going to need a plan B.

Sorry to not be more helpful but, hey, I hope it helps to know you're not alone!

Shalli

Jan 17, 2020
    Hey,

I am really sorry that you are currently feeling this way, but I really want to echo what others have already said. What you are feeling is totally normal and fine. Trying really hard for your career and not reaching that 'end goal' is very disheartening, especially when you know you are capable.

A few words from me for what its worth;

1. Please talk about your emotions to your friends/family, they can really act as a positive support system. For me, this also helped me remember that there is a life outside of my career goals and how important it was to not forget to just live my life. Sometimes being trapped in this bubble can really make self-reflecting difficult. Be that from your application front, or your performance in interviews.

2. Not making it now does not mean you never will. Your time will come. A lot of my friends from university made it into their chosen career paths and/or other highly regarded graduate jobs. I found that reminding myself that everyone has a different journey, really helped me keep positive. Just for reference, I secured my TC a few months ago, four years after graduating from the LLB. I also self-funded the LPC in 2017.

3. Step away if you need too. Again, burnout is real. With applications and a fulltime job, it is so easy to get overwhelmed and consumed with stress and the pressure we put on ourselves. It is ok to take time off. In many ways, that time off can help you gain motivation. Whilst working full-time, I decided to slash the number of applications I did and tried to just focus on making them the best they could be - being realistic helped me a lot here. As a student, it is sometimes easier to be more flex with your time and to therefore do more apps. Working full-time can make this harder so prioritise the places you are really interested in (that should hopefully reflect in your apps too!).

4. Using work experience from university can still be valid - I mentioned a few examples in my interview this year and the partners/GR team who interviewed me still wanted to hear about it. Please do not put yourself down and think that you are less attractive, most organisations if not all, will value the experience you bring. If they don't, just consider if you really want to work for that type of a place anyways?

I hope that some of the above is helpful, but please do take it easy and don't be so hard on yourself. 2020 has been an incredibly difficult year and the fact that you have continued to try to reach your career goals, says a lot about you and your drive.

If you want to talk about anything, my inbox is always open!

R.

DonnieDarko

Future Trainee
    Dec 21, 2020

sorry to hear you are struggling but perhaps a few things to pause and reflect on, especially given all the stress we are under collectively.

- How badly do you want to become a solicitor? There are countless examples of people who either paralegal for ages and apply cycle after cycle before breaking through. Appreciate that’s not for everyone but it is possible.

-
    Securing TC is arduous and competitive. But reading your post, sounds like you’re taking yourself out of the game. Can you give yourself some leeway and say your goal in the next two years is to get a TC? So you can apply this cycle, see how you go and then take some learnings forward.
    - Like you, I was working going through the process. If you do get go AC cross that bridge when it comes to it. As I understand it, they’re all being done virtually so worst case scenario you can “call in sick” if you can’t request off or don’t want to alarm them that you’re applying. If you did get a TC, it’d be for two years from now so you’ll need that job prior to starting SQE/LPC.
    - I was nearly a decade out from uni so I used all the questions and tailored them to my experience to show why I was qualified.
    - I feel you about evenings and weekends but it might be worth considering a strategy a la I’ll work on applications on Mondays and Wednesdays nights and for 3-4 hours on Saturday?

My big view here is that you need to break things down into manageable chunks and perhaps take a step back to reassess your position and future. The worst case scenario is four years from now you regret not going for it and are in the same position. Good luck

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.