From Campus to Cubicle: Miss Piggy's Journey 🐽

Miss Chocolate

Legendary Member
Nov 27, 2023
CRS PFO ngl I don't know why I felt so confident about this one, thought I had it in the bag. Definitely the most disappointing one as I was quite set on the firm but I am also kind of like...maybe everything does happen for a reason? Doing my diss right now so I am not even going to sit around feeling crap about it. There are so many other firms and I guess I could always re-apply. I will just have to try my best with Mishcon AC 🤣😭 I am very interested in private client work so I will do my best I guess. Ah it sucks :/ But let me channel my inner spiritual guru and assume that the universe is protecting me and guiding me towards something that is a better fit for me overall. Seriously, whatever. At least I was proactive and gave it my best shot.

Reactions: trainingcontract

Miss Chocolate

Legendary Member
Nov 27, 2023
Also, I know I shouldn't complain since all candidates go through the same stages, but imagine getting a candidate to write about 2000 words overall during the written application stage and then only giving them the video interview stage to showcase their potential before making a decision. Some of these recruitment processes are actually ruthless and a HUGE time sink.

Reactions: trainingcontract

Miss Chocolate

Legendary Member
Nov 27, 2023
Had a bit of a cry after the Bristows interview (not because of the interview itself). Just exhausted, really. I haven't heard back from Mishcon and I really need the vac scheme but I have NO idea if I will get lucky or not. I am not too keen on Bristows really because I have realised I deffo want a firm that does both private and commercial so :/ but this interview was just a bit hard (like a little) so I probably won't progress to the second interview. They asked me to debate random topics and I was like 👁️🐽👁️ I definitely preferred Mishcon's style of interviewing, it felt like they were trying to understand me as an individual and my motivations, rather than the one I had today, just felt like they were grilling me ughhhhhh

Please please please please Mishcon just give me a chance ughhhh also post-uni ambiguity/anxiety is going to be a fun ride. Sigh.

Miss Chocolate

Legendary Member
Nov 27, 2023
I will try to be positive about life tomorrow, I am sure there's advantages to not knowing what you are doing with your life. Just generally feel a little scared and uncertain. It's a lot leaving the education system. Funnily enough before I came back to uni for my final year I could not wait to get out, but now I am just like...it's a comfortable little routine. Library. Gym. Friends. Fun. Oh well. Going to stop waffling and go back to work. I am sure these negative thoughts will pass.

Legalstalker

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • Oct 9, 2023
    I will try to be positive about life tomorrow, I am sure there's advantages to not knowing what you are doing with your life. Just generally feel a little scared and uncertain. It's a lot leaving the education system. Funnily enough before I came back to uni for my final year I could not wait to get out, but now I am just like...it's a comfortable little routine. Library. Gym. Friends. Fun. Oh well. Going to stop waffling and go back to work. I am sure these negative thoughts will pass.
    This was soo me last year! I didn’t apply to any VS or TC things as I had a grad job but I knew I wanted to go into law. In My head I saw myself as more valuable if I were to to work and then apply as I can apply myself more and I’d have more competency answers. I feel like applying as a graduate is better for me anyway as I know my degree grade it’s not something I have to stress about or prove I can get. All I have to do is bring my personality. I also felt like when applying as a grad to things I took a different approach as to what I would’ve done if I applied as a uni student.

if I applied whilst at uni I wouldn’t have got to VI let alone an offer I was soo fake in loads on my grad job applications and I wasn’t myself at all. Only in my grad job interview did I show myself but realistically that’s too late.

When I applied to vs and TC as a grad I incorporated more of my personality then what the firm wanted or what I think they wanted. I think graduating I matured more and saw the real world as it is.

Uni is such a little bunable I got comfy in lol I was happy going to work 2 days a well clubbing 2 days and eating mc Donald’s at 2am at a friend house just because lmao I loved life and I think I was a little sheltered to rejection. Now that I’m working as a grad I work with people who have kids, partners or parents they have to take care of and how much their career means to them and how hard they work for what they have.

I was able to apply this mindset to my applications and be happy to make it to a test. I was able to see how bad ppl wanted to progress in the company to have a stable life. So when making my applications I applied that real life experience into it.

Realistically I have no structure after uni 🤣🤣 I feel like a corporate slave sat sleep work repeat it’s not fun. Go get a part time job save and travel for a few months. You’re young!!! I wish I did that haha
    No one has it all planned after uni unless they have things in place we’re all clueless it’s kinda fun not knowing what to do as you’ll never get that feeling again once you get a job/settle into your career.

Im making the most of the flexible working my job has! I finish at 1pm on a Friday and 3/3:30 or most weekdays I’d never get that in law! Be happy you have freedom and you’re not stuck to doing something.

My point is don’t let not having a vs or tc as a uni student stop you!! Getting one as a grad is super fun you’ll more a lot after graduation. I miss being at uni though 😭😭😭

Miss Chocolate

Legendary Member
    Nov 27, 2023
    OK, so I have just had a look and there are still some firms I am interested in that I could apply to after exams are over (through direct route and their applications are open). Maybe this cycle doesn't have to end here (even if I get rejected from Mishcon). Ugh. Anyway, going back to coursework now.

Miss Chocolate

Legendary Member
    Nov 27, 2023
    This was soo me last year! I didn’t apply to any VS or TC things as I had a grad job but I knew I wanted to go into law. In My head I saw myself as more valuable if I were to to work and then apply as I can apply myself more and I’d have more competency answers. I feel like applying as a graduate is better for me anyway as I know my degree grade it’s not something I have to stress about or prove I can get. All I have to do is bring my personality. I also felt like when applying as a grad to things I took a different approach as to what I would’ve done if I applied as a uni student.

if I applied whilst at uni I wouldn’t have got to VI let alone an offer I was soo fake in loads on my grad job applications and I wasn’t myself at all. Only in my grad job interview did I show myself but realistically that’s too late.

When I applied to vs and TC as a grad I incorporated more of my personality then what the firm wanted or what I think they wanted. I think graduating I matured more and saw the real world as it is.

Uni is such a little bunable I got comfy in lol I was happy going to work 2 days a well clubbing 2 days and eating mc Donald’s at 2am at a friend house just because lmao I loved life and I think I was a little sheltered to rejection. Now that I’m working as a grad I work with people who have kids, partners or parents they have to take care of and how much their career means to them and how hard they work for what they have.

I was able to apply this mindset to my applications and be happy to make it to a test. I was able to see how bad ppl wanted to progress in the company to have a stable life. So when making my applications I applied that real life experience into it.

My point is don’t let not having a bs or tc as a uni student stop you!! Getting one as a grad is super fun you’ll more a lot after graduation. I miss being at uni though 😭😭😭
    Yessss I reckon the additional experience must have helped you be more yourself or come across as more confident in your interview! I applied for one grad job (non-law) and that went badly at the last stage so at this point I will have to think of something *After* exams and also my worst case scenario was having to move back home which seems inevitable now but I can survive a few months I reckon 😅🤣 and no girl stop, that's exactly what I am going to miss about uni, not having real life problems (i mean we suffer as students but that suffering is gentle in some ways) and your only worry being moving yourself from one friend's house to the other's. it's such a bittersweet moment I swear :') I think that's the beauty of most memorable experiences though, they are so fleeting and brief 🥹😭💗

• 🤝
    Reactions: Legalstalker

Legalstalker

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 9, 2023
    Yessss I reckon the additional experience must have helped you be more yourself or come across as more confident in your interview! I applied for one grad job (non-law) and that went badly at the last stage so at this point I will have to think of something *After* exams and also my worst case scenario was having to move back home which seems inevitable now but I can survive a few months I reckon 😅🤣 and no girl stop, that's exactly what I am going to miss about uni, not having real life problems (i mean we suffer as students but that suffering is gentle in some ways) and your only worry being moving yourself from one friend's house to the other's. it's such a bittersweet moment I swear :') I think that's the beauty of most memorable experiences though, they are so fleeting and brief 🥹😭💗
    I’d also say I can vouch for things will come your way as I had a friend who realised this time last year that she didn’t have anything post uni and stressed soo much she [trigger warning] during exam season. All summer she stressed and stressed she didn’t have a job but I did it was awful to watch she was always sad and negative. 3 weeks after I started my job in September she got a job in the field she wanted to work in!!

It really is just a waiting game as it’ll come to you when you least expect it. Make the most of uni as I even contemplated doing a masters to get the at uni experience again! 8 months post uni and my unidays and Spotify student account is still working biggest achievement to date🤣🤣🤣

mfuturetrainee

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 21, 2021
    yeah no completely get you, it would be nice to have a clue to feel like there's some structure post-uni. sorry that you are having a rough time, I am rooting for you, hope things fall into place soon
    and you <33 I think as the previous commentator pointed it out, its v common for a lot of grads to be dwindling around for a bit before they land their job and in a field like law where we see 'im happy to announce..' every 5 seconds, we forget that those r those exceptionally lucky people who nail it down before they graduate and it is not a depiction of everybody! so its ok that we have a lil time to figure out what we do and how we do it !! we're so tuned in to have a structure since we've been at school and had all these formal exams that now, for the first time in our lives we dont know where we're actually going to go or end up but isn't that what makes it all somewhat exciting (and scary!)? we're actually going to be confronted with a lot of diff emotions, diff experiences that are outside our sheltered, structured lives and its going to help us grow :) theres always a silver lining in these things and I know all of us have got this <333

Miss Chocolate

Legendary Member
    Nov 27, 2023
    I forgot about this 😭 I won't lie, A LOT has happened in the last couple of weeks but I have done a good job of keeping this space as academic and career-related as possible 👀 So I got rejected from Bristows after the first interview and I was telling my friends that during the interview, I felt super uncomfortable and even though it was only a short and brief interaction and, really, gave me very little insight into the culture, I just felt so uncomfortable and I knew immediately after that I could not see myself working there. I mean I wouldn't be picky, not in this economy 😭, but it would NOT have been my first choice.

It's so annoying (but obviously a good thing) that our interests change so much the more we research and I have realised that I definitely want a firm that does both commercial and private work so Mishcon/Macfarlanes/CRS would have been better fits (potentially?). Anyway, I FINALLY GOT MY FIRST VS! Mishcon did not disappoint 💅👁️👄👁️💅 The only other firm I am waiting to hear back from is SH and I may make more applications after exams (for direct TCs). I honestly CANNOT wait for the summer in London. So much to look forward to (besdides the VS itself). I think I am going to keep in mind what someone on this forum said about using these experiences to LEARN and going in with that mindset, instead of being anxious about fking up and letting all that negativity ruin everything. Anyway, I was legit sweating so much before opening the email because I was stressed this rejection would hit hard 😭 it was my first legal AC so I honestly did not know what to expect. Anyway, I think I will stop rambling and go back to finishing my coursework.

mfuturetrainee

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 21, 2021
    I forgot about this 😭 I won't lie, A LOT has happened in the last couple of weeks but I have done a good job of keeping this space as academic and career-related as possible 👀 So I got rejected from Bristows after the first interview and I was telling my friends that during the interview, I felt super uncomfortable and even though it was only a short and brief interaction and, really, gave me very little insight into the culture, I just felt so uncomfortable and I knew immediately after that I could not see myself working there. I mean I wouldn't be picky, not in this economy 😭, but it would NOT have been my first choice.

It's so annoying (but obviously a good thing) that our interests change so much the more we research and I have realised that I definitely want a firm that does both commercial and private work so Mishcon/Macfarlanes/CRS would have been better fits (potentially?). Anyway, I FINALLY GOT MY FIRST VS! Mishcon did not disappoint 💅👁️👄👁️💅 The only other firm I am waiting to hear back from is SH and I may make more applications after exams (for direct TCs). I honestly CANNOT wait for the summer in London. So much to look forward to (besdides the VS itself). I think I am going to keep in mind what someone on this forum said about using these experiences to LEARN and going in with that mindset, instead of being anxious about fking up and letting all that negativity ruin everything. Anyway, I was legit sweating so much before opening the email because I was stressed this rejection would hit hard 😭 it was my first legal AC so I honestly did not know what to expect. Anyway, I think I will stop rambling and go back to finishing my coursework.
    IM SO PROUD OF U :') well done

• Love
    Reactions: Miss Chocolate

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.