From Campus to Cubicle: Miss Piggy's Journey 🐽

Miss Chocolate

Legendary Member
Nov 27, 2023
Before I lose the courage to admit it, I got rejected from HSF post online test. Same as last year. I was feeling quite crap about it earlier and I suppose I am still somewhat disappointed. Actually, a lot disappointed. Though if I am honest with myself, I mostly wanted the TC for the pay, the disputes practice and because I know the people fairly well through previous experience. When I say people, I mean a few lawyers of course lol. Okay....so reflecting on that I had good reasons to want the firm to take me on, but I don't know, the last few interactions I have had with the firm left me feeling like they don't want me. I know. I know. It's business and I shouldn't let paranoia make me think it's anything other than my grades/written application. Ah well. Gah, it's just so frustrating. They could have just let me prove myself during the assessment center. I spent a fair amount of time with the application as well. I simply don't know what else I could have done. I have emailed asking for feedback because if it's anything obvious I will avoid that with my applications for other firms, of course.

So, I will apply for CRS spring scheme now that HSF won't work out. I was originally planning on applying via direct TC route. I am also thinking of applying to Mishcon because the summer overseas role isn't guaranteed either and as explained before, there's only 25 places available (maximum) and over 200 applicants. Nothing is guaranteed so it doesn't hurt to spend a few days perfecting that application and sending it through.

• 🤝
Reactions: legalgrinch

Miss Chocolate

Legendary Member
Nov 27, 2023
I am not sure if other finalists can relate to this, but the lack of certainty is both exciting and yet the most infuriating thing ever. What I will be doing after I graduate depends on so many factors and not having any control (well, a lot of control) over any of this is quite...I don't know. Oh, the only good thing about today is the fact that I cooked some really nice sausages and devoured them like a pig. The rainy weather is also quite soothing. And counselling went well, though I ended up bawling my eyes out which was quite embarrassing. Is this me oversharing now? Oops.

Last edited:

Miss Chocolate

Legendary Member
Nov 27, 2023
Also, what I have said above is not true. I do know what else I could have done. I mean, there's always room for improvement/editing when it comes to applications. True, I could have spent more time on my application. I simply didn't and I went in with the mentality "they should be happy with this, I have pretty good experience/I would make a good trainee". Whilst it's true that I think I would be an asset to any firm with some more experience/education, I need to try harder and take it a lot a lot more seriously. Do more research. Read around their clients more, research into the sectors they work in and so on. Also, I don't mean to be arrogant when I say I will be an asset (lol). I just mean that I know I would give it my best shot, bring my best self to work and I love working within teams (given the people are pleasant!).

Reactions: justkeepswimming

Miss Chocolate

Legendary Member
Nov 27, 2023
Happy new year y'all
leonardo dicaprio GIF

I have to be honest, I want to get rid of the chaotic profile picture and have my hot girl moment with a perfect aesthetic, but I shall resist ✨

I haven't been doing too well for the past two weeks. I have felt extremely unmotivated. I think that's partly because I received rejections for two applications I put the most energy into and really wanted the part-time job I got rejected from. Basically, I applied to work with this museum in a really small capacity, they were recruiting students my age and I thought I had built enough rapport. I was going MOST you guys, but I will skip the details. I think generally my life has been a bit 💩 and I can feel it crippling into every aspect. There's a lot of self-doubt and it affects me on so many levels. I procrastinate because deep down I don't think I can now achieve anything. My dissertation supervisor is moving to a different university and that's quite stressful but what can I do about it? I think this year I really want to manage my stress so maybe meditation/journaling will help.

I don't know, there's something really horrible about putting in so much work and getting nothing out of it. But maybe it's for the best and I know it just means that I can focus on something else and there's always better opportunities elsewhere. It's the thought of all that time spent working on something but getting nothing out of it that bothers me. Anyway, I have been feeling quite isolated too, so I need to fix that ASAP and make more of an effort socially. I also want to stop putting so much energy into friendships that have become stagnant. I feel like I could write for ages but let me get back to my Bristows application. I am going to do a rough draft and then go to the gym around 5pm and then come back to work on it until deadline (midnight). Trying to ignore negative thoughts for now though.

Last edited:

legalgrinch

Distinguished Member
  • Nov 30, 2023
    Happy new year y'all
    leonardo dicaprio GIF

I have to be honest, I want to get rid of the chaotic profile picture and have my hot girl moment with a perfect aesthetic, but I shall resist ✨

I haven't been doing too well for the past two weeks. I have felt extremely unmotivated. I think that's partly because I received rejections for two applications I put the most energy into and really wanted the part-time job I got rejected from. Basically, I applied to work with this museum in a really small capacity, they were recruiting students my age and I thought I had built enough rapport. I was going MOST you guys, but I will skip the details. I think generally my life has been a bit 💩 and I can feel it crippling into every aspect. There's a lot of self-doubt and it affects me on so many levels. I procrastinate because deep down I don't think I can now achieve anything. My dissertation supervisor is moving to a different university and that's quite stressful but what can I do about it? I think this year I really want to manage my stress so maybe meditation/journaling will help.

I don't know, there's something really horrible about putting in so much work and getting nothing out of it. But maybe it's for the best and I know it just means that I can focus on something else and there's always better opportunities elsewhere. It's the thought of all that time spent working on something but getting nothing out of it that bothers me. Anyway, I have been feeling quite isolated too, so I need to fix that ASAP and make more of an effort socially. I also want to stop putting so much energy into friendships that have become stagnant. I feel like I could write for ages but let me get back to my Bristows application. I am going to do a rough draft and then go to the gym around 5pm and then come back to work on it until deadline (midnight). Trying to ignore negative thoughts for now though.
    You got this - keep going! 🙌🙌

• 🤝
    Reactions: Miss Chocolate

Miss Chocolate

Legendary Member
    Nov 27, 2023
    Like I am the kind of person that craves crisps and sweet snacks. I must have some sort of mineral/vitamin deficiency because last week I suddenly wanted carrots and hummus? I literally never snack on it so no idea where the inspiration came from. My jaw hurts from all the aggressive chewing but I just can't stop.

mfuturetrainee

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 21, 2021
    I am kind of panicking. I have an assessment center in 2 days and only 2 days to prepare (non-legal role). My friend said she prepared for her A&O AC for two weeks. Am I screwed?
    u r NOT screwed, best way is to make sure you flesh out your wexp, know them inside out and write it out on a massive mind map, tag the competencies demonstrated during those roles and think briefly of instances where you demonstrated them (eg: tutoring (demonstrated time management skills because balancing it w academics, kept on top via having a diary, calendar yada yada) make sure you jus know what you’ve done and you’re comfortable enough to talk about them

a good tip of mine is to jus pretend you’re asking yourself ok so when was a time when you demonstrated X and jus see if you can talk it out comfortably in an empty room by yourself without waffling and being concise (helps w memorising ive found)

do the rest that way! tackling motivations can be done the same way honestly as long as you’re able to not sound completetly rehearsed and can sound passionate, you’ve got it in the bag!

rooting for you!!

• 🤝

flower

Esteemed Member
    Premium Member
  • Jan 31, 2023
    I am kind of panicking. I have an assessment center in 2 days and only 2 days to prepare (non-legal role). My friend said she prepared for her A&O AC for two weeks. Am I screwed?
    Defo not, I know some people manage to prepare well for ACs with less time than that. I think someone secured a VS at Travers despite having their interview the day after, so try not to worry too much about the length of time you have. If you feel the anxiety is really getting to you tho, there's nothing wrong with reaching out to PwC to see if you can get a later AC date, the least they'll say is no. You've got this!

• 🤝

Miss Chocolate

Legendary Member
    Nov 27, 2023
    u r NOT screwed, best way is to make sure you flesh out your wexp, know them inside out and write it out on a massive mind map, tag the competencies demonstrated during those roles and think briefly of instances where you demonstrated them (eg: tutoring (demonstrated time management skills because balancing it w academics, kept on top via having a diary, calendar yada yada) make sure you jus know what you’ve done and you’re comfortable enough to talk about them

a good tip of mine is to jus pretend you’re asking yourself ok so when was a time when you demonstrated X and jus see if you can talk it out comfortably in an empty room by yourself without waffling and being concise (helps w memorising ive found)

do the rest that way! tackling motivations can be done the same way honestly as long as you’re able to not sound completetly rehearsed and can sound passionate, you’ve got it in the bag!

rooting for you!!
    There's also a case study presentation and a Q&A on the case study and I don't have business background (although I am not totally clueless). Do you think there's any harm in rescheduling to buy some more time? Or shall I just do it and get it out of the way?

Thank you so much for the tips btw, that's really helpful 🥹

Miss Chocolate

Legendary Member
    Nov 27, 2023
    Defo not, I know some people manage to prepare well for ACs with less time than that. I think someone secured a VS at Travers despite having their interview the day after, so try not to worry too much about the length of time you have. If you feel the anxiety is really getting to you tho, there's nothing wrong with reaching out to PwC to see if you can get a later AC date, the least they'll say is no. You've got this!
    Trruuuueee I think it's mostly the anxiety. I have got a few important deadlines (2) today and tomorrow and then only Sunday and Monday left to fully dedicate to prep for AC. I think I will continue preparing as if it's going ahead and then send an email anyway. I am going home on the 18th so if I did extend it I don't think I would extend it beyond that. TBH I was feeling fine until she said she prepped for two weeks and then immediately my mind went "oh 💩, I am not taking this seriously enough"

Miss Chocolate

Legendary Member
    Nov 27, 2023
    Going to try and remain calm. Flatmate situation is not helping. His gf has been over for 5 days straight and leaves the bathroom a complete mess after herself. I need to FORGET about the conversation I need to have with him until after the 16th and just focus. Feeling so chaotic right now 😭😭

Reactions: CallumJR

Miss Chocolate

Legendary Member
    Nov 27, 2023
    Okay, so first I will get the first draft of CRS application written and send it off for proof-reading. As soon as that's done, I am going to do the Macfarlanes test. If by some miracle both of these things can be done before bed, tomorrow morning I will get up, hit the gym and then go straight to library and spend the entire day prepping for my AC. When I get back, in the evening, I will use the feedback from my friends, if they have had a chance to take a look, and make final edits to my CRS application before sending it off. I don't know why I am getting so anxious but this is good practice of working under pressure I guess. Need to focus on tasks based on priority. It will be such a shame if I let myself down because of lack of preparation BUT positive thinking and less catastrophizing stuff.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.