General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

James Smith

Jun 19, 2020
Hi everyone! I posted this question on Jessica’s thread but think it can be a good idea to repost it here to listen to the tips of the wider community!

I’ve a TC interview with a Silver Circle firm early next week, which will include a business case study. We haven’t been given additional information on it, so I suppose no specific preparation is possible, such as reading up on M&A. What’re your tips on how to approach a business case study? What would you recommend on how to structure my thinking and answer? etc.

I agree this is a very board question, but any tip would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

James

SLKEJRWOI97

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Junior Lawyer
Jan 22, 2020
Also guys, a tip that I have if you're applying to firms with a small intake and want to know whether it's worth applying for their summer TC window: drop grad rec a line.

They're usually very honest about it and will advise you what's best (either to apply for the direct TC or to just apply for VS when they open later this year).

Hope that helps! :)

P.S. also goes for firms who recruit heavily/majorly from their VSs.

Reactions: gg999

Dheepa

Legendary Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
TCLA Moderator
Premium Member
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Hi everyone! I posted this question on Jessica’s thread but think it can be a good idea to repost it here to listen to the tips of the wider community!

I’ve a TC interview with a Silver Circle firm early next week, which will include a business case study. We haven’t been given additional information on it, so I suppose no specific preparation is possible, such as reading up on M&A. What’re your tips on how to approach a business case study? What would you recommend on how to structure my thinking and answer? etc.

I agree this is a very board question, but any tip would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

James

Hey I'd recommend checking out the M&A Case Study course on TCLA. It's only available to Premium members but Premium membership is super worth it and the course is extremely helpful. I would also strongly recommend reading up on how a balance sheet works and how to extract basic financial information from it. Other than that, make sure you are familiar with things like PESTLE and Porter's Five Forces and know how to use them when you analyse case studies!

Reactions: futuretraineecity and Zoo

jan28

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    M&A Bootcamp
    Sep 12, 2019

Thanks in advance!

James

You will probably be advising a client based on the information given to you on the day. For this, my main tip would be to not relay everything you’re thinking or every possible issue you can identify. Instead, pick out the most important ones. If they ask you for any more, then you can talk about the rest.

Reactions: Jessica Booker

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi all, when do you think it's a good time to follow up with firms after sending an application? Or really is it ever a good time to do that?

it isn’t really ever a good time to follow up to be honest.

If you can check the status of your application yourself you should.

if you are hearing that lots of people are hearing back and you aren’t, then maybe contact. But even then that could just be they haven’t got to your application yet.

dosblancos7

Legendary Member
    Feb 16, 2019
    Dentons App states:
    Please tell us about your extracurricular activities and any positions of responsibility you've held as part of these. (250 words)

Would it be okay(or even advisable) to bullet point these? Also, other firms explicitly say so. Thanks!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Dentons App states:
    Please tell us about your extracurricular activities and any positions of responsibility you've held as part of these. (250 words)

Would it be okay(or even advisable) to bullet point these? Also, other firms explicitly say so. Thanks!

I’d avoid bullet points in an application - only really suitable for CVs. Just ensure you make it super concise and don’t explain the self explanatory

• ℹ️
    Reactions: dosblancos7

thecorporatelawyer

Legendary Member
    Apr 14, 2020
    it isn’t really ever a good time to follow up to be honest.

If you can check the status of your application yourself you should.

if you are hearing that lots of people are hearing back and you aren’t, then maybe contact. But even then that could just be they haven’t got to your application yet.

Okay would you say there is a general rule of thumb? I.e. if a firm takes longer than 3 weeks to get back to you it could be a bad sign?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Okay would you say there is a general rule of thumb? I.e. if a firm takes longer than 3 weeks to get back to you it could be a bad sign?

No - three weeks is no time at all and depending when you applied, you could be waiting for much longer than this. These things can take months unfortunately. You need to be patient for your own sake.

• Haha
    Reactions: Daniel Boden and jan28

J700F

Feb 5, 2020
    On the topic of following up with law firms - I'm due to be doing the work experience programme with Slaughter and May which has switched to virtual and is starting next week (lasting one week). When the firm emailed to let us know it was going virtual they said they would give us further details of what the scheme would entail nearer the start date. However, I haven't heard anything since that point. I'm not sure whether to just wait or get in touch with them? I'd like to know the schedule since it starts next week!

AH9891

Valued Member
    Jan 11, 2020
    On the topic of following up with law firms - I'm due to be doing the work experience programme with Slaughter and May which has switched to virtual and is starting next week (lasting one week). When the firm emailed to let us know it was going virtual they said they would give us further details of what the scheme would entail nearer the start date. However, I haven't heard anything since that point. I'm not sure whether to just wait or get in touch with them? I'd like to know the schedule since it starts next week!

My VS with Linklaters starts next week and there hasn’t really been anything in regards to structure or practice area either. I honestly think that if they know, they will let us know and it’s as simple as that . I’d only follow up with them if the other people on your scheme have heard and you haven’t or maybe if you haven’t heard by Wednesday midday

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

if you haven’t heard from them by close of business on Wednesday, contact them.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.