General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

jan28

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
M&A Bootcamp
Sep 12, 2019
What are people's thoughts on emailing grad rec to update them on exam results you've received after submitting your application? Do people usually do this? I submitted a direct TC app and since then have received an exam mark which I'm particularly proud of but would this even make a difference to the application? Thanks in advance x

Lumree

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Highest Rated Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019
    What are people's thoughts on emailing grad rec to update them on exam results you've received after submitting your application? Do people usually do this? I submitted a direct TC app and since then have received an exam mark which I'm particularly proud of but would this even make a difference to the application? Thanks in advance x

You could use the additional information box that most websites have (such as apply4law). That’s probably what grad recruitment would ask you to do if you emailed them anyway

jan28

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    M&A Bootcamp
    Sep 12, 2019
    You could use the additional information box that most websites have (such as apply4law). That’s probably what grad recruitment would ask you to do if you emailed them anyway
    oo I didn't know that! thank you

edit - there doesn't seem to be one on slaughter's portal so any further advice would be appreciated!

Miki3999

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Jun 2, 2019
    Hey guys!
    I was just wondering whether anyone has any experience in applying for vac schemes with firms in London while studying the Scottish LLB. Were you able to apply in your penultimate year or was it considered non-law (as it is technically not a qualifying law degree). I know some firms (like CC) allow this as a lot of the GDL modules are exempt but most firm websites are unclear in this regard. Any information is appreciated!

Usually a Scottish law degree = non-law, unless you have a dual degree

Reactions: Guilherme Carvalho

MZ

Esteemed Member
    Forum Winner
    Oct 7, 2020
    I thought that, thanks! Guess I'll be stuck applying in Scotland this year :rolleyes:
    Not necessarily! There are a few firms that have vacation schemes for penultimate year non-law students, the first one that comes to mind is Baker McKenzie's summer vac scheme but I've definitely come across a few others that I can't quite remember at the moment. You're also eligible for most first-year schemes (which aren't the same obviously but still great for building legal experience on your CV) like CMS First Steps, DLA Piper's Insight Programme, BCLP's insight scheme (I think), etc. Some of these (like CMS and BCLP) also fast-track you to the first assessment centres of the year if you do well on their first-year programme so definitely work looking into!

• 🏆
    Reactions: Guilherme Carvalho

Guilherme Carvalho

Dec 4, 2020
    Not necessarily! There are a few firms that have vacation schemes for penultimate year non-law students, the first one that comes to mind is Baker McKenzie's summer vac scheme but I've definitely come across a few others that I can't quite remember at the moment. You're also eligible for most first-year schemes (which aren't the same obviously but still great for building legal experience on your CV) like CMS First Steps, DLA Piper's Insight Programme, BCLP's insight scheme (I think), etc. Some of these (like CMS and BCLP) also fast-track you to the first assessment centres of the year if you do well on their first-year programme so definitely work looking into!

Thank you! I was having a look at the insight/ fast track schemes and a lot of firms seem to accept penultimate year non-law (BCLP expressly state penultimate year non-law in a 4 year degree which is my position). Most of the deadlines I have seen are in January and non-rolling so that will keep me busy over the winter break. I was afraid the Scottish LLB would restrict my options but it seems like that's not the case at all!

Last edited:
    • 🤝
    Reactions: bethbristol and MZ

M1999

Legendary Member
    Nov 28, 2019
    For the question ‘anything else you would like to add to your application’ - can you use this space to talk about competencies that will make you a good commercial lawyer? Or is this really to talk about extra-curricular/non work experience activities?
    I’m really stuck. I don’t want to repeat competencies that I can put in the work experience section, but I also find my extra-curricular to be quite bland and irrelevant to both commercial law and the firm.
    Any insight would be great :)

Helpme12345

Valued Member
    Nov 19, 2020
    For the A&O application, the only options for a language level are "fluent/bilingual" or "understanding written and spoken". I have C1 in my second language and feel like my level is higher than "understanding written and spoken", but I also would only say I'm fluent in some business situations and definitely not law. Does anyone know which option I should pick?

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    For the question ‘anything else you would like to add to your application’ - can you use this space to talk about competencies that will make you a good commercial lawyer? Or is this really to talk about extra-curricular/non work experience activities?
    I’m really stuck. I don’t want to repeat competencies that I can put in the work experience section, but I also find my extra-curricular to be quite bland and irrelevant to both commercial law and the firm.
    @Jessica Booker tagging you in this as I reckon you're the best person for this one :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

your extra curriculars don’t need to be “relevant” to commercial law and the firm. I’ll bet money now they aren’t boring either.

It’s completely up to you what you want to put in the extra information section. It’s really there for anything that naturally won’t fit into other sections of the application form. If you think that should be highlighting competencies not mentioned elsewhere, then go for it.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I have had a few messages about what to do if you “just” miss a deadline due to technical issues.

I want to be frank about this - there isn’t much you can do. You can obviously ask the firm to allow you to apply post deadline, but I wouldn’t be surprised if in the vast majority of cases the answer is no.

My response to “what can I do” is pretty brutal - what you can do is learn from the experience and next time don’t leave it until less than an hour before the deadline to apply. If anything, my general advice is make sure you are applying, submitting tests or video interviews during working hours or at least one working day before the deadline. You have the responsibility to factor in things like potential technical issues and contingency plans for them.

Reactions: OB

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Does anyone know if it is okay to write PE instead of private equity in applications?

depends on the context of the sentence, but regularly see people use Private Equity (PE) in the first instance and then PE from then on. If you are trying to reduce word count, I’ll bet money other words can be cut before private equity.

jan28

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    M&A Bootcamp
    Sep 12, 2019
    Hi all,
    if an application is asking 'Which other firms are you applying to?* do we have to specify why we are applying to said firms briefly or is it just wanting us to list the names of the firms?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi all,
    if an application is asking 'Which other firms are you applying to?* do we have to specify why we are applying to said firms briefly or is it just wanting us to list the names of the firms?

Either is fine - the suitability of which tact you take will depend on who is included in that answer and whether you feel you need to justify them.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: jan28

A92167!8

Valued Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Dec 6, 2020
    Just checking over my Pinsent masons vac scheme app form and just noticed 2/3 of the questions (the spare time q and non academic achievement q) say ‘max 4000 characters including spaces’ but then the last q on why commercial law and why pinsents just says ‘max 4000 characters’. Does this mean anything - are spaces not included in this last question? Thank you☺️ @Jessica Booker

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.